New Door Style (Functioning)

Anti_BosonAnti_Boson Join Date: 2013-07-03 Member: 185878Members
edited January 2015 in Artwork Forum
Have been tinkering with a shutter door style for awhile. Here's a little look at the latest edition of it:
mXj6M2r.jpg?1
LXb4wp7.jpg?1

It has collision geometry which animates with each shutter (so you can shoot through the gaps!)

Vid:

Working on a neat "feature", but it'll be a bit before that's ready ;)

Comments

• aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    That's a pretty sweet door. You should do a window version that players can toggle on the map. :D
  • Anti_BosonAnti_Boson Join Date: 2013-07-03 Member: 185878Members
    I've got a working model file complete with a basic texture and normal map. If any mappers are interested in testing/using the door, pm me. Once I get a working texture I'll update the model.
    Made a blast door for a mapper. Doors are just too fun to make.
    SiXBCkV.jpg?1
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Anti_Boson wrote: »
    Made a blast door for a mapper. Doors are just too fun to make.
    SiXBCkV.jpg?1

Ns2 needs more of you.
  • HowserHowser UK Join Date: 2010-02-08 Member: 70488Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    Nice models!...and respect for getting animated models in-game!
    It does look a little like the smooth groups aren't setup correctly. To give hard edges you really to set separate smooth groups for individual planes.
    Don't be scared to add more poly's by chamfered corners or slicing large faces up, Spark can handle pretty high poly models. But this will require another bake to get the most from your normal map.
    That said I have had issues in the past where the smooth groups have been changed by the builder.
    Let me know if you need any help.
    Thanks for the responses! I've got a LOT of models I'm working on atm, so the biggest thing I could use help with is 2d texture work :)

As for the model, I model in Maya and I usually don't create high poly models for props (saves a lot of time). I create the normal maps from the diffuse maps. Also Maya uses vertex normals instead of smoothing groups. Part of the model has hardened normals (to prevent a few face cuts from deflecting light) while rounds stuff has soft edges. After texturing I can make a better normal map to accentuate harder edges. Also the vid was rendered in max without a normal map so it looks super flat, but in game it looks much more defined.
    edited March 2015
    Here's an update of the doors:
    0M15aE5.jpg?1
    LYbG9cZ.jpg?1
    4u7ZrmV.jpg?1

I'll be releasing a mod containing the models/textures/animation graphs. The UV's and textures are still place holders. I'll update them whenever I finish them.
  • ZavaroZavaro Tucson, Arizona Join Date: 2005-02-14 Member: 41174Members, Super Administrators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    These look absolutely awesome!
    edited April 2015
    Finally got around to publishing the shutter door to workshop. It has a lua, but I haven't tested it yet. Have fun!

*Update* Tested lua and it's working. Can spawn i game with entity name "shutter_door".
  • PelargirPelargir Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185857Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Forum staff
    Go use this mappers!