How to get lots of new and old players

alsteralster Join Date: 2003-08-06 Member: 19124Members
edited March 2015 in Ideas and Suggestions
Probably discussed before, but too important not to be forgotten.

Imagine if these were official announcements by UW:

1. NS2: Game of the Year Edition!!!
or NS2: Complete Edition? Director's Cut?
or CDT Edition??

2. NS2 will be ported to PS4 and Xbox.
Throw money at a AAA fps team and bingo!
Cross platform play!!! Everyone has mics. Commander can work with a controller.

Either one or both choices will get lots more players.

Comments

• cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    It has been discussed before, and is a relatively fruitless endeavor.

There isn't anything that will suddenly give us a large number of players and most of us have accepted that by now.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Ns2 could never run on ps4 or xbox. The hardware is simply isn't enough, not to mention how terrible a controller would be for ns2's movement. Don't get me started on aim assist either.

Before we should even think about getting more players the player retention problems would need to be fixed. It does not matter if there are 100,000 players for a week, if player count falls to where it is right now once again.
  • Perman12Perman12 Campuchia Join Date: 2015-01-31 Member: 201130Members
    My simple idea >> Lobby system + Global chat + Match making

Still keep Dedicated Comunity server for modding like Counter Strike GO , Insurgency
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited March 2015
    XboxOne and PS4 are basically what... 2007ish PC's? in terms of raw power, so that is a no go (edit:Spark would devour consoles). Especially since it requires dedicated servers, even if it could run perhap cross platform servers?

But then you'd have controllers vs mouse and keyboard. And there's the RTS aspect a well, can't really see that working on a console even if you say so :D Also this game is way too fast paced in term of twitch aiming, how would that work on a controller (crossplatform that is)

Get the mods back in action and promote the shit out of the game, NS2 will always be niche and if ya ask me can't get traction in this day and age to push it beyond even 1000/1500 at a steady player count.But the engine and ingame mods can draw in more players even if they don't play NS2 it would still push NS2/Spark up higher on the steam charts... And more player playing on NS2 (mods or not) will draw in more players/streamers/youtubers etc... That is my dream :P
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    integrated, supported combat mode. also maybe seige
  • MuckyMcFlyMuckyMcFly Join Date: 2012-03-19 Member: 148982Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2015
    We always gain players in the sales, veteran's should play nice and educate the new players and not be afraid of green names.

Once you know the game and you play with chatty people it is as addictive as crack! (so @meatmachine told me ;) )
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    The main reason we can't retain new players is that NS2 is so punishing for newbies, particularly ones that want to command for the first time, they get met with the same typical response of "eject this f**king n00b", "learn in sandbox first before you get in the chair" or "omg omg turret factory first before armslab eject".

They don't understand how important the role of Commander is in relation to follow a certain tech research path, fast reflexes on medpacking and ammo drops along with general map awareness. The unpolished tutorial system certainly doesn't help alleviate this.

This attitude towards new players doesn't help retain new player base at all, only the old veterans, this elitist attitude will only help dwindle the numbers even further.

A vast majority of players are hostile towards greens, no wonder they get put off.

In all fairness they don't help themselves either, this is one of the very few games where having a microphone can be sometimes downright essential, especially when you jump into the commander's chair, commanders that communicate by text really gets my goat, as you miss vital moments when a player could be potentially securing a strategic point for you but die because the commander is typing paragraph debates with another player over research orders.

TLDR.

Have more patience with rookies, NS2 naturally unforgiving towards rookies, we should work towards remedying its shortcomings, rookies who jump in the comm chair really should have a microphone, current tutorial system is simply not enough.
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Nordic wrote: »
    Ns2 could never run on ps4 or xbox. The hardware is simply isn't enough, not to mention how terrible a controller would be for ns2's movement. Don't get me started on aim assist either.

Before we should even think about getting more players the player retention problems would need to be fixed. It does not matter if there are 100,000 players for a week, if player count falls to where it is right now once again.

No aim assist, and cross platform play plz. Would be like a truckload of fresh rookie faces to stomp. That'll teach them to stick to consoles! :P
  • alsteralster Join Date: 2003-08-06 Member: 19124Members
    BeigeAlert wrote: »

No aim assist, and cross platform play plz. Would be like a truckload of fresh rookie faces to stomp. That'll teach them to stick to consoles! :P

Dreams of the PC master race. :)
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited March 2015
    alster wrote: »

Now now, just because we live in the present and "next-gen" console are already ancient history in terms of hardware and raw power even before they release them. Their controllers are indeed for some games vastly superior to Keyboard and Mouse, and we all know there is no way to hook those onto our PC's... Wait...

Ehm no wait I got this!!! So consoles have those exclusive titles which are NEVER released on PC or the other plat... Hmm... Well not all of them, because of evil corporate IP holders being bastards... Who re-release cookycutter games each and every year, force mandatory PAID DLC, crush any creative (indie) idea, devour small creative studios and hog their IP while letting it collect dust and of course no mod support AT ALL... So... Well, that escalated quickly as well... Ehm, let's see here... They aren't as expensive as PC's and you know PC's have to be upgraded every week with expensi... Yeah no one is buying this one either right... Wait, you can easilly play with your friends online on ... on listen servers and have to pay extra money for that excellent and exclusive service alongside your internet bill.... No?

Oh wait I got this, Nintendo! No one can do what Nintendo can, cause they are the true MLG. I bet once PS4 and XboXOneone11eleven are at the end of their lifespan, and console streaming is the big thing... Nintendo will release another console and be the only console company left, cause they are unique and awesome and no one does what they do... Well maybe Steambox will be there as well, doing their awesome Steam and Indie support thing for home consoles?

Kinda dangerous move on Microsoft's and Sony's part to step into the domain of PC like hardware and doing so with oldschool hardware at that... I mean really, they think they can beat PC at their own game :P

Dammit @alster, and here I was trying to defend consoles, for once... And the only ones that got out of this alive are Nintendo and Valve? It went so fast, what happened ;;)
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    alster wrote: »

Now now, just because we live in the present and "next-gen" console are already ancient history in terms of hardware and raw power even before they release them. Their controllers are indeed for some games vastly superior to Keyboard and Mouse, and we all know there is no way to hook those onto our PC's... Wait...

Ehm no wait I got this!!! So consoles have those exclusive titles which are NEVER released on PC or the other plat... Hmm... Well not all of them, because of evil corporate IP holders being bastards... Who re-release cookycutter games each and every year, force mandatory PAID DLC, crush any creative (indie) idea, devour small creative studios and hog their IP while letting it collect dust and of course no mod support AT ALL... So... Well, that escalated quickly as well... Ehm, let's see here... They aren't as expensive as PC's and you know PC's have to be upgraded every week with expensi... Yeah no one is buying this one either right... Wait, you can easilly play with your friends online on ... on listen servers and have to pay extra money for that excellent and exclusive service alongside your internet bill.... No?

Oh wait I got this, Nintendo! No one can do what Nintendo can, cause they are the true MLG. I bet once PS4 and XboXOneone11eleven are at the end of their lifespan, and console streaming is the big thing... Nintendo will release another console and be the only console company left, cause they are unique and awesome and no one does what they do... Well maybe Steambox will be there as well, doing their awesome Steam and Indie support thing for home consoles?

Kinda dangerous move on Microsoft's and Sony's part to step into the domain of PC like hardware and doing so with oldschool hardware at that... I mean really, they think they can beat PC at their own game :P

Dammit @alster, and here I was trying to defend consoles, for once... And the only ones that got out of this alive are Nintendo and Valve? It went so fast, what happened ;;)

I did just get Wii U trading a 360 for that $175 toward PS4 deal at gamestop (returned the PS4 for full price refund immediately).

Bayonetta is quite dope.
  • HeatSurgeHeatSurge Some Guy Join Date: 2012-09-15 Member: 159438Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited March 2015
    Just had to log in to express how much kek this thread delivered to me.

This game... on consoles... cross platform play...

GOTY/Director's Cut might get a tiny spike, but the next week it'll be back to normal.
  • roxxkattroxxkatt Join Date: 2014-12-28 Member: 200431Members

i disagree, the game could easily ship with lowest quality textures, etc and be able to run with no troubles

additionally, people play lots of fps games on consoles, so having 2 sticks instead of wasd+mouse is a nonissue

also, a simple change of only being able to command while using PC version would be an easy fix, since theres basically no way to effectively command using a controller.

it is entirely possible
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    roxxkatt wrote: »

i disagree, the game could easily ship with lowest quality textures, etc and be able to run with no troubles

additionally, people play lots of fps games on consoles, so having 2 sticks instead of wasd+mouse is a nonissue
    Textures are not the problems, it is cpu performance. Ns2 is heavy on cpu logic where pc's struggle.
    I am sure you could make controllers work with ns2. For marines it would be easy. For aliens the movement would be awkward on a controller. On top of that, controllers may be used for fps games, but they are not as good as a mouse and keyboard. Aim assist stuff and all that.
  • CCTEECCTEE Join Date: 2013-06-20 Member: 185634Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Daily recipes for DIY cookie-making !

ReindeerCookies+%25281+of+1%2529.jpg
  • MephillesMephilles Germany Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186634Members, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    can anyone here imagine how someone with a controler could do those dodge movements of a lerk?
  • roxxkattroxxkatt Join Date: 2014-12-28 Member: 200431Members
    easily with 1 stick as forward/strafe and 1 stick as turn/look
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    I ctrl like crazy when I lerk as well to quickly dip, not to mention how FAST directions change. Imo a controller would be a NIGHTMARE. To be fair, I've never enjoyed or been good at aiming with console controllers as far as fps games go. Started playing cs when I was in 6th grade, so if it's not on a mouse, I can't aim.