Subnautica Seabases Released! - Subnautica

SystemSystem Join Date: 2013-01-29 Member: 182599Members, Super Administrators, Reinforced - Diamond

imageSubnautica Seabases Released! - Subnautica

Subnautica now features underwater bases. They are available now, and allow the construction of habitats on the sea floor. Bases are composed of modular units such as compartments, windows, and...

Read the full story here

Comments

• BleachbeardBleachbeard Germany Join Date: 2014-05-21 Member: 196165Members
    First! lucky me i cant wait to build one ! awsome
  • NecroxNecrox Join Date: 2015-02-18 Member: 201418Members
    W00t! Can't wait for the update to finish downloading! :)
  • Sir_zinoSir_zino England Join Date: 2014-10-09 Member: 198901Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Great work! The Tube-like bases work really well and look great too!
  • WanderdueneWanderduene Germany Join Date: 2014-10-31 Member: 199229Members
    This ist very awesome!
  • KohaneyeKohaneye USA Join Date: 2015-02-28 Member: 201594Members
    Awesome, you guys have been hard at work. Its nice to see this continue to evolve.
  • MistaMoonMistaMoon de mewn Join Date: 2015-02-22 Member: 201497Members
    I STILL CANT PLAY THE GAME, IT SAYS TOO MANY HEAP SECTIONS
  • GaidinTSGaidinTS Join Date: 2003-08-10 Member: 19319Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Looks awesome. Any chance of a Linux release?
  • NecroxNecrox Join Date: 2015-02-18 Member: 201418Members
    edited March 2015
    MistaMoon wrote: »
    I STILL CANT PLAY THE GAME, IT SAYS TOO MANY HEAP SECTIONS
    I have just suggested something you can try here. Let us know in that thread if you choose to do so, and if it helped.

http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/comment/2233077/#Comment_2233077

Edit: Forgot to add the link to the thread. Doh!
  • JackalopeJackalope Join Date: 2015-03-13 Member: 202057Members
    Very cool. Thanks for getting the update released for the weekend. I'm looking forward to building an unreasonably deep sea base.
  • Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
    Very nice. The style of the base components really fits in with the look of SN. The foundation floor looks a bit out of place, but good for a first run.
  • LarzyLarzy UK Join Date: 2015-03-09 Member: 201891Members
    +1

Thanks Devs!

It's probly already been asked, but I would love my own aquarium on the Cyclops or in the Seabases, anyone know if there is plans for that ? (you could perhaps breed new fish?) Although not sure what that would accomplish.
  • LordSableLordSable Australia Join Date: 2015-03-14 Member: 202096Members
    The thing I would love to see next? Multiplayer. Exploring the oceans and building bases with my friends sounds amazing!!!
  • PaajtorPaajtor Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168634Members
    Can we dock the Cyclops to a seabase?
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    Larzy wrote: »
    +1

It's probly already been asked, but I would love my own aquarium on the Cyclops or in the Seabases
    So would we! Aquariums are something we want to add, or at least give the player the ability to make a space that can function as an aquarium, but first we need to add larger rooms.
    Paajtor wrote: »
    Not yet, but again, something we hope to add.

• PaajtorPaajtor Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168634Members
    Paajtor wrote: »
    Not yet, but again, something we hope to add.
    Ok, would be nice indeed.
    I can imagine having to allign the diving-hatch at the front of the Cyclops, to a docking-port on the seabase...pretty much like docking in Elite Dangerous is performed (with a special docking-hud, that shows allignment).
    This way, the docking-bay for the Seamoth stays clear from the seabase, and can contiue to be functional.

• SeldkamSeldkam Join Date: 2014-01-01 Member: 191213Members
    Multiplayer is not going to be coming for awhile, if it does at all-- the last we heard was an unsure result of an "experiment" that the devs were working on about multiplayer coop possibilities
  • PIROslyPIROsly Earth Join Date: 2015-03-14 Member: 202147Members
    edited March 2015
    Im also thinking that they might make like a glass/observing corridor, and maybe a lighting system situation into the game as well.
    The glass corridor looking like a normal corridor, but doing - 8 to the hull, so you'd have to do something like renforce previous sections, and you probably wouldnt want to put a foundation under it. The lighting system could be like sea lamps, for night time, and you attach it to the outside of the corridor or the foundation, or even by a chain, and it can float a bit?

Just a suggeustive idea i think would be good (If any devs see this)

Just reading above. Most of what I have described in this reply, seems like an Idea already, so I'll just leave this here
  • lxhlxh Austria Join Date: 2015-03-13 Member: 202074Members
    Yeah, nice nice nice ... but what is it good for? Storage? Just as long as you have the cyclops. Shelter? Not really.
    How about an energy mining and ship charging function?

Btw ... if you build larger bases, fish will appear inside the corridors. You can see it in the screenshot in front of the locker.
  • VpompVVpompV Czech Republic Join Date: 2015-03-13 Member: 202093Members
    Would Agree on the Larger rooms and Cyclops Docking bay but i guess to build upwards,there will probably be an issue due to elevations of your base and supports to be able to build upwards, so that would be interesting to see happen and what will happen there.

Something i have noticed aswel is that depending on where you build your base the rocks or red sea-grass comes poking through the floor..

Sorry and last thing the Terraformer destroys ground in a bubble shape which to me makes it wierd for when you just want to level out the ground around your base, is there any chance they can make it a square bubble shape?
  • JackalopeJackalope Join Date: 2015-03-13 Member: 202057Members
    On the design docs, i think i read that seabases with be needed to construct drilling machines used to harvest material at extreme depths. Most likely there will be some equipment and machines too large to put in the cyclops. But for the moment i am using my seabase at 100m as an way station while i gather lithium for the cyclops. It saves me from trudging back to my escape pod every time i need a snack or to drop off resources.
  • ViltautasViltautas HongKong Join Date: 2015-03-15 Member: 202174Members
    Right now pretty pointless....
  • BFliPBFliP Netherlands Join Date: 2015-03-16 Member: 202211Members
    For bases, if the initial foundation touches the ground, but the bordering foundation doesn't it seems it messes up the 'in-station' status on the spots it doesn't touch the ground, and will only be in 'out-station' status (you'll be swimming inside your station until you reach a hatch in a spot that doesn't have the problem). If I make a hatch in a problematic area the status remains unchanged when going into the hatch (will remain out-station). Bug report already sent ingame.

So far I'm really liking the base building but would like to have the option of making bigger rooms (next to an X-corridor have a room that just opens up the walls of corridors and/or ceilings).

Also I've found an easter-egg supply crate that gives me new shiny stuff every time I open it close to the crashed ship. I've moved it closer to my pod using floaters. I also found transfuser parts to make a transfuser, but haven't found fragment analyzer parts yet.

I've switched the game mode since food-intake needs to happen way too often. This guy is a monster when it comes to burning calories. I like survival but this is just too much of a chore and takes away the fun of exploring.

For a workaround on the disappearing seamoth bug, just make sure your seamoth status is not-docked (it will be docked when you load your game). So first thing you do after loading is go inside your Cyclops, undock Seamoth, exit Seamoth, go back into your Cyclops and go out again, this will fix your Seamoth status and your own X-Y-Z position. Then save. Repeat on next game load.
  • VandragoraxVandragorax United Kingdom Join Date: 2015-02-24 Member: 201533Members, Subnautica Playtester
    edited March 2015
    lxh wrote: »
    How about an energy mining and ship charging function?

I agree with this, very much! We need our generator to be able to recharge our vehicles, as a static base should have incentives for taking the time and effort to build, protect, and upkeep it.

I would like to see a 'recharge station' maybe some kind of mechanical arm which we can drive any vehicle towards and it will latch on then power up said vehicle before we choose to undock it. I hope we could even build a seamoth docking bay like the cyclops has, or even dock a cyclops against an airlock door to walk straight into the base :)

As for power, surely tidal generators are better than 'energy mining' :)
  • lxhlxh Austria Join Date: 2015-03-13 Member: 202074Members
    edited March 2015
    Thanks a lot for sharing this imagination, Vandragorax! But the idea of the 'standard power generator' that produces energy from nothing or a hand full of mushrooms is limiting the need for energy source research and exploration. ... as described in Cyclops docked and charging
    And b.t.w what's the use of a tidal generator if you have to build a base at 100m?
  • FireclawFireclaw oopboop Join Date: 2015-02-06 Member: 201235Members
    =O How am I 3 days late to see this? o3o I should play Subnautica more xD
  • dacamp66dacamp66 Danvers, MA, USA Join Date: 2015-03-23 Member: 202467Members
    edited March 2015
    how about a robot arm for the seamoth and a "docking frame" to dock the Cyclops to a seabase?
    the Cyclops would approach and dock and be locked in place and be recharged by the base power core, and you would go out the bottom hatch directly into the seabase?
    also, maybe some residential parts for the Cyclops and/or the seabases as well as a fatigue implementation?
    also maybe some sonar for the Cyclops?
  • Zoltan_aZoltan_a Belgium Join Date: 2015-02-28 Member: 201609Members
    Larzy wrote: »
    +1

Thanks Devs!

It's probly already been asked, but I would love my own aquarium on the Cyclops or in the Seabases, anyone know if there is plans for that ? (you could perhaps breed new fish?) Although not sure what that would accomplish.

I personally see an aquarium as an artificial environment to keep fish & plants for display, so prefer something more like a fish containment module that is part of the sea around but keep fish or kelps together, like farms pens if you prefer.

The aquarium is all around us :-)

• xerxysxerxys Berlin, DE Join Date: 2015-03-23 Member: 202471Members
    Hey guys, I just purchased SN last night and have played it pretty much the entire time since then. The game has a massive scope already, despite being so early in the development process. Having read a bit about where you guys are in the dev process has explained why there are so many rough edges: you've literally only just released the bases, so no wonder their functionality is limited; but, at the same time they already have the promise of bigger things, with the hull integrity, placement of extra parts like windows and reinforcements.

I really like the base-building part of the game and just wanted to fire off some suggestions, most of which you probably already have, but maybe some are a little different to what you had in mind.

Base module components: obviously, what we have at the moment will expand, but here are my ideas.

- Rooms. You can either add pre-made rooms of fixed sizes, or you can remove the junction space between four X-pieces in a 2x2 grid layout to make a room, which can lead to spaces as large as you want them, or of irregular shapes, but can seriously impact your hull integrity. For the really grandiose, you could have multi-level rooms, with balconies and gantries. These can house labs, dorms, trophy rooms, weapons rooms, research labs, factories, rec areas, the list is endless.
    -Vertical shafts. If your base has some serious verticality issues, rather than stacking ungainly-looking sections one on top of the other for several levels, you can skip levels with a vertical shaft. Includes the ladder section inside, so you only need to connect one at either end, then when the ladder is activated, you transport from one end to the other, be it one, three or ten levels. Has a low impact on hull integrity, so can be useful for attaching a shallow base to surface modules.
    -Hatchery, fishery and holding tanks (surface, reef or deep zone). It's reasonable to assume that the fauna in the game will play a larger role, not only as food, but as valuable resource pools and a larger part of the gameplay mechanic (catch, catalogue, name, link species, splice), so rather than the random hide and seek we have at the moment, there needs to be places to store and breed fish, either as a resource or as your own decorative aquarium-within an aquarium.
    -Inter-level pieces. As I already said, I find the placing of tubular sections on top of one another to change levels ungainly, so having a longer section that slants up and connects two decks via stairs would look great. You could potentially make some great looking bases (already thinking of a helicular base that winds upwards to the surface in a spiral with various labs and rooms sprouting from it). You can also have even longer, ramp pieces (reminiscent of the Cyclops lower level that slants upwards); then there's elevators, too!
    -Docks. Right now, leaving you subs hanging around in the ocean and having to transfer via the wet stuff from sub to base just isn't how it's going to stay, so I know dock pieces are part of the plan (but if for some reason they're not, here they are). You can have a surface dock for your Cyclops where you can transfer above water, there's also the underwater umbilical, that attaches to the underside port and you can transfer into your sub at lower levels. The Seamoth can also have a permanent launch dock, reminiscent of the dock the dolphin from SeaQuest DSV used to have: access from below into a pressure-controlled chamber that has an open interface with the ocean.
    -Decorative and reinforcing pieces. We already have windows and shielding components, and I'm hard-pressed to actually come up with much for this, but what about observation domes (both the smaller, 1-man bubbles and larger rooms with a glass domes ceiling offering amazing views), as well as the ability to promote plant growth on your base, which could be camouflage against any base-hating creatures that might turn up later in the game or just to make it look pretty.
    -Power room. I could have added this to rooms, but wanted to make a special case for it. Right now, the power generator really bugs my OCD, as it always end up offset and cant be manipulated very much at all. It would be great to have this either as a matching module piece to incorporate it into the look of the base, or to have an upgrade that is a room, so that this generator is the 'starter level' that runs down over time that you can replace with the better-looking and more permanent power room.
    -Water rooms. Again, felt this needed its own category. In survival mode, water is essential, but getting it is a little long-winded and there has to be a process for automating the process. You could have different types of water rooms, depending on your approach: you could have a distilling room, where water is distilled from salt-water (maybe by sunlight, some large surface-based room exposed to the sun, which gives you salt deposits as a by-product. Then there's the reverse osmosis method, which is more scientific and gives you a lab-like room that can be placed at any depth. You also have the possibility of producing your own bleach for cleaning the water chemically, by having a room where you artificially grow the coral and extract the salt needed to make the bleach.

Like I said, I know you have loads of ideas in mind, so most of these things are on a roadmap somewhere, but I hope I've given some ideas!
  • TartarinTartarin France Join Date: 2015-03-15 Member: 202162Members
    Interesting ideas, especially the X structure changes, and yes, I agree too tha the power room is a must have instead of the generator sitting alone outside. But since the game is in it's early made, we can pass that for now ;)
    As for water room, someone (don't remember which thread it was) suggest that the fabricator can be augmented and then distilling water/get salt per hour. But your concept of store the water within a room (or a tank) is good too.
  • Hyp3rionHyp3rion Australia Join Date: 2015-03-21 Member: 202396Members
    Xerxys, love your idea of the vertical shafts, elevators & staircases / ramps! The idea of having a surface base that you can then quickly traverse to a lower base via a long ladder or elevator is awesome!

- Hyp3rion