The seamoth controls make me motion sick

moultanomoultano Creator of ns_shiva. Join Date: 2002-12-14 Member: 10806Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
It's also impossible to keep my sense of direction. Maybe let the craft pitch, but keep the view direction vertical? That would still give you the sense of swooping around things, but wouldn't be nausea inducing.

Comments

• PaajtorPaajtor Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168634Members
    edited February 2015
    Yeah, the little sub has a strange yaw-into-roll kinda response to my turn command.
    Would love to have this toned down a bit.
  • AlvegaAlvega Brasil Join Date: 2015-02-19 Member: 201430Members
    Agreed, sometimes i avoid to use it because of that. And we should have a better view to the sides also.
  • SeldkamSeldkam Join Date: 2014-01-01 Member: 191213Members
    It will probably be overhauled later on .... There was a thread similar to this earlier
  • VandragoraxVandragorax United Kingdom Join Date: 2015-02-24 Member: 201533Members, Subnautica Playtester
  • NecroxNecrox Join Date: 2015-02-18 Member: 201418Members
    edited March 2015
    Maybe. I'm not 100% certain that these will fix the problem, though I of course hope so.
    For me it stems from the fact that there's a huge "lag" when you try to turn the SeaMoth. Your own view moves fast, and then the SeaMoth slowly adjusts to where you've turned. I understand that this has probably been made to make it feel more sluggish in order to underline that you're no longer free-swimming but inside a vehicle... it just has a very unfortunate side effect.
    I do suffer from motion sickness fairly easily on the back seat of cars, but very rarely in games. I almost never encounter a first person game which I react to anymore (as in; since I started getting used to FPS about 15 years ago), and this reaction was VERY strong. I got so sick after 10 minutes with the SeaMoth that I had to stop playing altogether.
    I can't imagine how bad it would be in VR.
  • VanEinsteinVanEinstein Join Date: 2015-03-10 Member: 201916Members
    All of this. This thread gives voice to that feeling I had about the Seamoth but had such a hard time putting into words.
    edited March 2015
    Just played again yesterday... had to only go in straight lines with the SeaMoth. Every time I had to turn or angle up I would close my eyes and my girlfriend would have to say stop when I was pointed in the right direction -_- I got a little bit queasy anyway, but man... I would REALLY like a fix for this.
    Maybe just a headbob-like toggle that turns the view lag off when in the moth? Then people who have no problem with it can keep the current setting. I don't know how much work that would be to implement though, but the quality of life improvement for me would just be IMMENSE.
  • Heatst0rmHeatst0rm Join Date: 2015-03-15 Member: 202167Members
    I had the same issue and really was surprised of it since this was my very first actual motion sickness from a game.

But this is what I think is the actual problem.

Pretty much like Necrox already stated the own view moves faster then the SeaMoth actually turns.
    This delay which is making the SeaMoth adjust AFTER the view moved causes the motion sickness since in general motion sickness is caused through non-valid movement.

Let me explain that a bit for those who don't know why you get sick.
    First of all in this case it's called VIMS (visually induced motion sickness) in other words Motion (movement) which you see but cannot feel.

Now if you see movement your eyes tell your brain woah hey something is moving, while your inner ear which is our vestibular system (balance) is telling your brain HEY we aren't moving we don't feel what we see.

At this point your brain doesn't know how to handle that situation and thinks you are under influence of i.e drugs and you are hallucinating. Your brain responds on that with inducing vomiting to clear the toxin which in this case doesn't exists.

You actually cannot prevent this 100% since everyone's responds on these things are different.
    BUT by reducing the movement and fixing the delay of seamoth turning to adjust the view can reduce the chance.

What I am not sure about is if the quite big cockpit of the seamoth increases the chance of motion sickness.
    Aswell I am not sure about if the water current effects that you see when moving with seamoth (those effects which makes fast movement visually fancy) are also increasing the motion sickness.

And in addition to be able to turn in ALL angles actually really makes it worse if motion sickness starts to hit you.
    Many will probably also get into a panic since not everyone knows what is actually causing the feeling so they try to adjust the view and turn in a rush which makes the feeling even worse.
  • lxhlxh Austria Join Date: 2015-03-13 Member: 202074Members
    I think it's a simple problem. They attached the little 'crosshair' to the users view and not to seamoth direction. That would change a lot for you.
    Heatst0rm: In my case I doubt it's the water currents or the cockpit size. Reason being that I have no issues in the Cyclops which has a larger cockpit area, and the currents are visible there too, but I have no problems at all when maneuvering the Cyclops.
  • moultanomoultano Creator of ns_shiva. Join Date: 2002-12-14 Member: 10806Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    I think the solution is to make it so the roll of the seamoth doesn't effect your view. The player's notion of what is "up" should be unaffected by how the seamoth shifts around you.
  • SilveressaSilveressa USA Join Date: 2015-03-18 Member: 202279Members
    What about giving us the ability to control the port/starboard roll of the Seamoth with the q and e keys? This way we can easily maintain it's horizontal alignment when turning and when affected by strong currents. (Letting us strafe with a and d would be helpful as well for finer maneuvering and lessening the continual pitching.)
  • simusimu Join Date: 2015-03-03 Member: 201680Members
    Silveressa wrote: »
    [...]
    (Letting us strafe with a and d would be helpful as well for finer maneuvering and lessening the continual pitching.)

I can't start the game now to check, but I'm pretty sure that it is already working that way.
  • SilveressaSilveressa USA Join Date: 2015-03-18 Member: 202279Members
    simu wrote: »
    I can't start the game now to check, but I'm pretty sure that it is already working that way.

Aye it does, the q & e for the pitch and yaw are what's truly needed.
  • moultanomoultano Creator of ns_shiva. Join Date: 2002-12-14 Member: 10806Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    Just started a new game and got to the point of building a seamoth, then I had to quit. It's unbearable right now.

I think the solution is to make it so the roll of the seamoth doesn't effect your view. The player's notion of what is "up" should be unaffected by how the seamoth shifts around you. This gives you the sense of swooping movement without the disorientation.
  • TheEpicBunnyTheEpicBunny California Join Date: 2015-04-27 Member: 203868Members
    Agreed, even though I don't get motion sickness the controls are very jerky and makes the Seamoth hard to control.