Runs my graphics card much hotter than other games.

SilveressaSilveressa USA Join Date: 2015-03-18 Member: 202279Members
Not sure if this is a "bug" per se, but I've noticed Subnautica runs my graphics card (a Nivida 550TI) at 99% of capacity and 183F after only 10 or so minutes of play on recommended settings @ 1920x1080 resolution.

Compared to other games on maximum settings (Borderlands Prequel, Skyrim, etc.) this one seems a lot more demanding for some reason. (And yes my computer has been dusted out recently and all fans are functioning.)

I've found by using open hardware monitor and manually setting my gpu fan to 100% the temp drops to around 153F (about normal for most other games I play) but without this manual change it will overheat my card in under a half hour of play leading to a BSOD.

Just figured I'd make a report of it in case others have noticed the issue and to bring it to the attention of the devs should the heat issue be programming related.

Computer specs:

Operating System: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit, Service Pack 1
System Model: MS-7640
Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) II X6 1090T Processor (6 CPUs), ~3.2GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
Display Devices
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti

Comments

• ED0ggYED0ggY Join Date: 2003-06-08 Member: 17103Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    You have to keep in mind that this isn't a finished product or a polished product.

So yes im sure it's using twice as much resources than the games you have listed above, as the game gets development the graphics intensity will become less.
  • SilveressaSilveressa USA Join Date: 2015-03-18 Member: 202279Members
    Aye i figure as much, I only reported it here so others (and the devs on the off chance they don't already know.) are made aware of it.

Mostly letting other people know ahead of time will remind them to keep an eye on their systems heat output and turn up fans manually to avoid any issues if need be as I've done with the game.

(With my graphics card fan set to 100% via Hardware Montior I've been able to play for 2-3 hours each session without any heat issues what so ever.)