Oxygen depth penalty and Rebreather balancing

Gr4pheneGr4phene Germany Join Date: 2015-03-05 Member: 201731Members
I was wondering if the Rebreather actually did something, so I got out of my Seamoth at 400m and watched my O2 meter drain. Turns out the oxygen drains about twice as fast at this depth, but I don't think this is enough. I would like the oxygen consumption to increase every 100 meters like
breath=(normal breath)*((depth/100)+1)
because this would more accurately represent real diving air usage (in reality the formula is the same with 10 instead of 100 meters). In addition, this would make you use five times more oxygen in 400m depth, so you can only stay in the water for twenty seconds with two tanks, or eight seconds without tanks. This would make the rebreather actually necessary.
Another thing is that you can't use an Airbladder from great depths in real life because your veins would literally explode at the surface from the expanding gases. The only way you can survive a quick ascent is by not taking a single breath in the depth, like freedivers do it. There should at least be a health penalty for quickly ascending, like taking damage if your breathing ratio decreases by more than 2% in one second. This is equivalent to a speed of 2m/s at the surface, 3m/s at 50m depth, 4m/s at 100m depth, 5m/s at 150m depth and so on. A possible equation would be
damage=(breath_1/breath_2-1.02)*10000
, which means you take 100 damage for every percent above 2%. This sounds like a lot (instakill), but it's really not because a difference of 3% is impossible to reach except maybe with a current generator. You would have to rise from 12m to the surface in one second to die from the damage.
Please give me feedback if you like these ideas or what you would change! This is just a try to make breathing more realistic in Subnautica.

Comments

• VandragoraxVandragorax United Kingdom Join Date: 2015-02-24 Member: 201533Members, Subnautica Playtester
    A lot of us here understand how real diving behaves with regards to surfacing too quickly from huge depths, and oxygen use at higher pressures.

However don't lose sight of the fact that this is a game! Primary concern should be "is it fun?" and "does it add anything worthwhile to the gameplay?"

I don't think it's going to be fun or adding anything to the gameplay to have these sort of realistic depth/damage simulations. Especially when the other part to your argument is that the rebreather is fine to mitigate all of the intended effects (which is not exactly realistic!) :P

There currently is a penalty without using the rebreather to avoid the player being able to go to huge depths without first crafting the necessary items. This is an artificial barrier and it's needed in a game like this to somewhat control the path players take in their route through the tech tree and trying to get the most out of exploring each biome or area as they go.

I think it's ok as it is, but could perhaps use a few tweaks. And I'm sure things will change a lot before release. I just worry that going too overboard with realism could harm the gameplay experience as this is not "Diving simulator 2015" :D
  • SeldkamSeldkam Join Date: 2014-01-01 Member: 191213Members
    IMO the rebreather at the least needs an update to the description-- in the game it isn't clear that there ARE any increases of oxygen consumption at lower depths (which seems a bit silly to me anyways)
  • Gr4pheneGr4phene Germany Join Date: 2015-03-05 Member: 201731Members
    If you ask "is it fun?" for every aspect of the gameplay, you wouldn't get far. It's not fun to have all these sharks and whatnot, though it does add a lot more atmosphere. Same for the oxygen usage, for me it really bothers me that you can just swim around 400m deep without any consequences, and it affects the atmosphere because there is absolutely no danger of diving so deep. My suggestion would help make the depths more of a challenge.
  • VandragoraxVandragorax United Kingdom Join Date: 2015-02-24 Member: 201533Members, Subnautica Playtester
    I didn't just say "is it fun", but also "does it add to gameplay?" Sharks and other wildlife add greatly to the gameplay by posing danger and forcing the player to make intelligent choices. I don't see how making a realistic depth simulation in this game will bring anything to the experience apart from frustration and tedium because it won't be fun it will just turn out to be a chore (like food/water is at the moment in survival mode) trying to manage your depth/oxygen.

If you don't suspend disbelief for a while, then how can you create submarines from a 2x2ft platform with a laser replicator? How can you survive without any toilet facilities? etc. There has to be a certain amount of unrealistic behaviour in any game, movie, book to keep the 'plot' flowing.

My main point is that does adding this more complex system for depth and oxygen use enhance gameplay BEFORE or AFTER the rebreather is available? You say it would make depths more of a challenge, but wouldn't you just use a rebreather then, which would totally cancel it out? SO maybe the rebreather itself needs a re-think along with the depth/oxygen use? :)

I would be really keen not to see breathing and oxygen use become 'realistic' though. I really don't get the whole "let's make everything realistic" comments from people all over the internet these days with regards to games, it doesn't make sense. There should only be a certain amount of resource management and complexity to a survival game, otherwise you end up treading deep waters (sorry :P) into simulator territory and the whole game can easily lose track of the "is this fun?" and "does it add to the gameplay?" checks.
    Well with that mindset you could just turn the oxygen cheat on because it's already a chore just being able to dive for one and a half minutes despite having two tanks. The whole laser fabricator thing works because it's "future technology", but the basic things like tanks are way better today already and it just doesn't make any sense that they are worse in the future. Same with the oxygen usage, it doesn't make any sense that you can swim around arbitrarily deep without any kind of danger. Maybe the ascension damage was a bad idea, but the depth breathing effects definitely need to be more intense. As for the Rebreather, this item is almost useless right now, and the whole concept is weird too. You should have no environment breathing effects (Gasopods) anyway because you don't breathe water, and it's impossible to cancel depth breathing effects. Physics just don't work that way, at least not with gas breathing. There have been experiments with breathing liquids, but this would require the rebreather to substitute the air tanks instead of add to them. A real rebreather just doubles your air supply (or some other multiplicator), and this would make the most sense here too, even for gameplay. Tank duration is too short, so you construct a rebreather to double it. Simple as that.
    edited March 2015
    Well I can see where they were going with the depth and more oxygen use thing. It just needs to be better communicated to the player instead of only finding out about it by reading the rebreather text that says something ambiguous about environmental effects. It's there to basically limit the amount of time you can spend out in the water, less time with more depth.
    • I agree with changing the rebreather to "doubles the oxygen supply from each of your equipped tanks", and maybe change the text for the environmental effects part to "depth breathing effects" instead to be clearer.

This change would basically make it so that gameplay wise, instead of equipping 4 tanks, you could equip 2 plus a rebreather to have the same oxygen supply amount (in seconds) which might well be a switch a player makes a little way into the game. Also it should be clearer to the player that going deeper uses up oxygen quicker, even if they only find this out by experimenting and learning the hard way, at least the text tooltip on the rebreather will hint at this :)
    I can agree with that. Glad we found a solution there at least, just for the oxygen issue we still have different opinions, right? By the way, the oxygen warnings are a bit odd because it says "30 seconds of oxygen remaining" when you only have 27 left, and when you go deeper you have only 20 seconds left at that point. But that's a different problem.
    Oh by the way there is a config file where you can change a lot of constants, like the oxygen per tank, your swimming speed etc. For now you can just double that oxygen value once you get a rebreather (I might do that).
  • SilveressaSilveressa USA Join Date: 2015-03-18 Member: 202279Members
    Gr4phene wrote: »
    Oh by the way there is a config file where you can change a lot of constants,.

What's the name/location of the config file? I did some hunting in my Subnautica install directory but couldn't locate it.
  • The_Big_Bad_W8lfThe_Big_Bad_W8lf England Join Date: 2015-03-15 Member: 202178Members
    Silveressa wrote: »

What's the name/location of the config file? I did some hunting in my Subnautica install directory but couldn't locate it.

If only it was simpler :), I wonder when we will be able to edit allot more stuff :)
  • DablinDablin New Zealand Join Date: 2015-03-22 Member: 202432Members
    edited March 2015
    Silveressa wrote: »

Within the "\steam\SteamApps\common\Subnautica\SNUnmanagedData" folder is a file called "BalanceVars.txt".

There are tons of variables such as;

Global/variables/oxygenCapacity 40
    Global/variables/oxygenPerTank 30
    Global/variables/oxygenUnitsPerSecondSurface 30
  • SilveressaSilveressa USA Join Date: 2015-03-18 Member: 202279Members
    Thanks deeply appreciated!
  • Zoltan_aZoltan_a Belgium Join Date: 2015-02-28 Member: 201609Members
    I'd like to add up my opinion to the subject, so I'll do :-)

In that specific game I also like the "keep it fun" over the realism, but we can keep some logics that add to the gameplay, a few examples I'd love :

- Variety of diving equipments, that would be made or acquired progressively, they would upgrade the player to get to deeper place without ill effects, can be better tanks, specials suits, improved rebreather, and so on.

- Add visual or game play effects going too deep without the proper equipment, could also have the same idea when going up in emergency to the surface with air membranes, make the player dizzy for some time or other appropriate effect

Hublot-Exosuit-6.jpg

Hublot-Exosuit-3.jpg
  • JackalopeJackalope Join Date: 2015-03-13 Member: 202057Members
    Zoltan_a wrote: »

In that specific game I also like the "keep it fun" over the realism, but we can keep some logics that add to the gameplay, a few examples I'd love :

- Variety of diving equipments, that would be made or acquired progressively, they would upgrade the player to get to deeper place without ill effects, can be better tanks, specials suits, improved rebreather, and so on.

- Add visual or game play effects going too deep without the proper equipment, could also have the same idea when going up in emergency to the surface with air membranes, make the player dizzy for some time or other appropriate effect

Would be cool to see something like that. That is one surly looking scuba diver. A deep dive suit would be cool but i think the exosuit may be intended to serve this role. Seems like its going to be used for deep sea mining and resource collection. Check out the model if you haven't seen it.
    https://sketchfab.com/models/409628e44d7341a09ec085a63f884672
  • ZourinZourin White Castle Join Date: 2015-02-27 Member: 201577Members
    edited March 2015
    I have a very specific reason to ask you kindly to take a walk and reconsider.

0F29EE7E2C7AAA68D7941F7260F2EC3D6802CF12

So would you kindly keep your opinions out of my inventory? You've exceeded your allocated space.
    Zourin wrote: »

0F29EE7E2C7AAA68D7941F7260F2EC3D6802CF12

So would you kindly keep your opinions out of my inventory? You've exceeded your allocated space.

Meh, your just fulla air! :D
  • KorithKorith Join Date: 2015-03-07 Member: 201768Members
    Zourin wrote: »

Agreed, it's one of my biggest complaints with the air system atm. Getting a decent supply of air actually impedes your ability to play and enjoy the game (though I never took it quite that far :P ).

Modifying the config file is ok for now, but would be nice to see the devs increase it for real... especially for additional tanks. Maybe once the paper doll equipment system is in...
    What I find a bit unbalanced is that without any airtanks I get 40 seconds of air (holding my breath) to use. Adding an air tank only gives an extra 30 seconds. At this point I'd rather skip the airtank and just genetically alter myself to add a few more lungs; I'd get more air time that is for sure.
  • ZourinZourin White Castle Join Date: 2015-02-27 Member: 201577Members
    I've mentioned several times 'upgrading' air tanks to pressurized versions, since the current tanks are little more than glorified diving bells at best. It's also a similar complaint I had about rebreathers in that 'rebreathers' don't provide pressure equalization; regulators do.

Rebreathers are just chemical air, and may extend an oxygen supply, but they don't provide pressure. You need a regulator and a pressurized tank to 'dive' and not get crushed.
  • Zoltan_aZoltan_a Belgium Join Date: 2015-02-28 Member: 201609Members
    Jackalope wrote: »
    Zoltan_a wrote: »

Would be cool to see something like that. That is one surly looking scuba diver. A deep dive suit would be cool but i think the exosuit may be intended to serve this role. Seems like its going to be used for deep sea mining and resource collection. Check out the model if you haven't seen it.
    https://sketchfab.com/models/409628e44d7341a09ec085a63f884672

Yes I had seen the exosuit model, but I was hoping for something in between [-O<