Source 2

ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester

Comments

• ComproxComprox *chortle* Canada Join Date: 2002-01-23 Member: 7Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/03/04/source-2-is-actually-free-like-for-free/
    I learned that when they say Source 2 is “free”, they mean it. Unlike Unity’s (much lowered) subscription rates (for larger teams), and Epic’s revenue cut of successful projects, Valve won’t be asking for any money at all. Well, sort of… They just require that the game be launched on Steam, along with anywhere else you might want to sell it.
  • ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    Nothing wrong with a steam launch honestly, you're releasing your game to an activate playerbase of millions of gamers. Even with minimal advertising if your game is very good it will simply spread via word of mouth.

Plus the features they offer from steamworks and the such is nothing but a bonus, I do believe they take a small amount of money from games sold on steam? I wouldn't know all the details but I'd assume so. Good to hear, hope the engine is amazing... I'd love to see BETTER performance out of hardware that I already have.
  • ComproxComprox *chortle* Canada Join Date: 2002-01-23 Member: 7Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Have they talked about the engine at all yet? Not sure if I missed any of the specs? Or more importantly: tools and pipeline?
  • aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    Doesn't valve get a cut of every game sold on steam? I imagine that's a substantial part of their revenue model and enables them to launch Source 2 for free.
  • _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2015
    According to the RockPaperShotgun article it's 30% of the revenue. That wouldn't be small. Thats a hell lot. Developer content and transaction on Steam Market have a 15% fee. Bigger studios would wan't to have their games on Steam anyway (except maybe EA, Blizzard and some) and small ones will profit by a huge distribution channel and community.
    Comprox wrote: »
    Have they talked about the engine at all yet? Not sure if I missed any of the specs? Or more importantly: tools and pipeline?

You can fool around with some source2sdk stuff in dota 2 as of now but I don't think they announced anything like that, I forgot what the article said but it was to be spoken about in 1-2 months with all the info

I'm expecting to see a left 4 dead 3 to showcase off the engine as a first title, and dota 2 to be swapped to the engine. I'd assume CSGO will get the same treatment possibly (or maybe they learned from last time)

Then I guess they'll continue with their dream of letting developers and the such create content for their already existing games plus whatever new games come out on these new engines. maybe all the new engines plus this whole windows 10 stuff will give everyone performance boosts out of hardware they already own... that'd be nice for a change
  • Soylent_greenSoylent_green Join Date: 2002-12-20 Member: 11220Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2015
    That's not the big news. The big news is that Valve is helping hardware developers with VR. Which means facebook can't **** up VR enough to kill it. And source 2 is designed with good VR support.
    what is the benefit of VR outside of business? I can see it be used in home improving or something like architecture but for me I like to sit in my chair and play games.. wouldn't ever want to do that with any type of helmet or glasses :P
  • Soylent_greenSoylent_green Join Date: 2002-12-20 Member: 11220Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2015
    ezekel wrote: »
    what is the benefit of VR outside of business?

Games, movies.
    I can see it be used in home improving or something like architecture but for me I like to sit in my chair and play games.. wouldn't ever want to do that with any type of helmet or glasses :P

I would. Especially something like Kerbal space programme and elite dangerous. For a lot of genres you really need something like an omnidirectional threadmill; which is not some super expensive high tech thing (and doesn't necessarily need moving parts), but takes up a little bit of space; FPS and first person RPGs won't be the killer app.

Maybe even racing games will have a comback, a genre that is traditionally boring as watching paint dry will, or annoying and random (e.g. mario kart). A twisted metal/interstate type game with a racing wheel would be amazing.

It's not a display with a couple of lenses strapped to your face. In exactly the same way as speech isn't air pressure making meat flap around and make noises. Even crappy VR really makes you feel like you are there. Even if you don't care about VR it is very beneficial; it forces developers to focus on lowering motions to photons latency, input lag, high refresh rates (no more 60 Hz locked shit if it supports VR) and low frame jitter. All these things have become progressively worse and VR will reverse that; even contagiously to games which do not support VR by virtue of being on a VR-capable engine. NES, C64 and Amiga literally chased the beam; sprites were drawn just as the data was being scanned out to the display, and the CRT had a very low input lag (analog/near-instantaneous); this is not gray-to-gray transition time; most LCDs have 20-100 ms input lag which is just data buffering and such, with tv displays being on the worse end and computer displays being on the better end (only gaming displays get down to 10-20 ms). With multiple CPU cores and possibly multiple graphics cards, there is a lot more buffering because that eeks out a few more FPS at a cost of 3 to 5 entire _frames_ + input lag before input becomes visible on the screen. This has been a gradual progression and is why e.g. NS2 feels so much worse at the same framerate than NS.
  • ZavaroZavaro Tucson, Arizona Join Date: 2005-02-14 Member: 41174Members, Super Administrators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    what is the benefit of VR outside of business? I can see it be used in home improving or something like architecture but for me I like to sit in my chair and play games.. wouldn't ever want to do that with any type of helmet or glasses :P

I know some people using it for orbital mechanics. It's legit cool what uses it has for people that work in the space industry.