Grappler (Harpoon) , Submarine Drill (Mining), Sonar (Map/Radar), Utility Torpedo, Periscope.

Vyn_HalcyonVyn_Halcyon Join Date: 2015-02-16 Member: 201375Members
Additions I'd love to see!

Grappler (Harpoon)
Go "spear" fishing, pulling fishes in towards you with the grappler or pull yourself towards anything big that you grapple. (wake-boarding a Leviathan anyone?)

Submarine Drill
A Submarine "exo-skeleton" for mining stuff for large scale base building (hopper is built right into the sub), or for creating a man-made tunnel into the seabed. Think "1K leagues under the Sea" meets "The Journey to the Center of the World" . Godda get to the origin of whatever shot our Starship down, right?

Sonar
Mapping one's surrounding and nearby resources using sonar and analyzing mineral density. Can't get more marine scientist than this :D Imagine pinging a cave to see what's ahead. Or seeing the Ping silhouette of a Leviathan, closing on to the cyclops at an alarming speed. Horrifying :D "Ping!" followed by an ominous deep wailing...

Utility Torpedo
For delivering different payloads on a Torpedo, be it a nav beacon, an observation dome or a GravSphere. Safer way of deploying "stuff" directly from the Cyclops.

Can add an explosive payload on a Torpedo too... We're on an alien planet, in a survival situation, commanding a submarine. Even the Federation Starship Enterprise packs some serious heat for "just" an "exploration" mission. As for the gameplay interactions an explosive Torpedo could bring? Other than removing threats like bone sharks and leviathans, creating an entrance into a buried cavern, interacting with the environment in a more significant way and... i admit. I want explosions :P Gamers be gamers.

As for the pacifist thing:

You know, if your the only person stranded on some alien world, your virtues and principles are quickly tested by necessity. This should be a story-element, where what you do, how you do it, will affect the game-world. Will you blowing everything up, turn the marine life against you? IS the planet actually a living organism and will start having an "allergy" against you?

Or will you live following the prime directive, and respecting the ecology, and go unnoticed by the planet and it's denizens? Will you eventually get blessings from the planet and start changing over time?

You are no longer a pacifist because you are forced to be one. There is now more point to being a pacifist. You are a pacifist because you choose to be one and believe it is the better way, not because the game lacks weapons.

A few thousand years into the future and you can't make weapons? I'm sorry, but if I were stranded, i'd jolly well have the fabricator print a harpoon. If there are print protocols and regulations against weapons, then I'll print out a C&C table and jolly well make a harpoon myself, with my oxygen tank, carbon stick and knife, a diving reel, and a carbon pipe. The calm climate inside the Cyclops combined with the high tech sure is conducive to high level crafting.

Periscope

Pure fluff. :P Purely low priority... Just a little childhood wish of mine. Every submarine should have a periscope in my head-canon :P

Comments

• The_HawkThe_Hawk South Africa Join Date: 2015-02-12 Member: 201321Members
    love the ideia of a periscope as i find the current veiws very restictive also would love sonar for depthfinding purposes
  • Nuki255Nuki255 US Join Date: 2015-01-06 Member: 200658Members
    edited February 2015
    If you're surrounded in a foreign environment by possibly hostile beings, you're going to want whatever you can get your hands on to defend yourself. You'd best believe after food and water, I'd be making myself something powerful enough to keep me safe if I was ever stuck on an alien planet.

• MirandolaG12345MirandolaG12345 Earth Join Date: 2015-01-26 Member: 201071Members
    I liked all the ideas, and I think the Harpoon would be really useful. I hope they add some of the stuff you put here :D