The Wiki needs you!

FoxyFoxy United Kingdom Join Date: 2014-08-19 Member: 198032Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
Hello,

I've recently (with thanks to Comprox) undertaken some major house-keeping on the Wiki. (30,000 spam articles deleted!) but there's still a whole lot more to do! I'm in the process of blocking all the nasty bot accounts and after that will be focusing on updating as much of the content as is possible. There are already a core of users that maintain certain articles, and they do a great job, but hopefully the wider community will take a renewed interest in it, as it's a great resource for players, both new and old! Multi-lingual users in particular would be great.

Anything you think you can do to help, please do!

Any questions? Please ask away!

Thanks! <3

Comments

• PelargirPelargir Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185857Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Forum staff
    I'm trying to keep the Maps Index up to date, that's all I can do. But that would be great to get a proper Wiki actually.
  • Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2015
    @FoxyUK I have been keeping the build versions upto date and also changing little bits to reflect the new version changes (res cost, damage, new abilities (eg. shadow step removal). I have made an orphan page called To Do List (search "To do" in the wiki to get to it). In there, I have started listing what I thought were things missing, if you have any suggestion about pages to add, please put it there. If you are working on a new page, please link it there and put your username there so we know it has been worked on. I check there every so often and will continue to update the page as I go. Please see my previous thread to see what I think needs doing.

Does the wiki have the Cite extension installed? @d4rkAlf wanted to put some footnotes in, but have had no luck.
    Good Work FoxyUK for killing the spam pages.

edit: typos
  • soccerguy243soccerguy243 Join Date: 2012-12-22 Member: 175920Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
  • FoxyFoxy United Kingdom Join Date: 2014-08-19 Member: 198032Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    @FoxyUK I have been keeping the build versions upto date and also changing little bits to reflect the new version changes (res cost, damage, new abilities (eg. shadow step removal). I have made an orphan page called To Do List (search "To do" in the wiki to get to it). In there, I have started listing what I thought were things missing, if you have any suggestion about pages to add, please put it there. If you are working on a new page, please link it there and put your username there so we know it has been worked on. I check there every so often and will continue to update the page as I go. Please see my previous thread to see what I think needs doing.

Does the wiki have the Cite extension installed? @d4rkAlf wanted to put some footnotes in, but have had no luck.

Yes, I've noticed the great work you've done on the patch notes so big kudos for that and big thanks to @d4rkAlf for his work on the dedicated server page, I've updated the Biomass template and I'll update the Kharaa tech tree fully to reflect the new build, then see what else I find that needs updating, The installed extensions are here http://wiki.unknownworlds.com/ns2/Special:Version I've already requested Nuke to be installed to ensure we can quickly kill any pages created by spam bots in the future and I'm working on obtaining some efficient abuse filters from people I know in the wikipedia/wikimedia crowd. :)
  • Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
  • d4rkAlfd4rkAlf Sweden Join Date: 2013-11-12 Member: 189309Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    FoxyUK wrote: »

Yes, I've noticed the great work you've done on the patch notes so big kudos for that and big thanks to @d4rkAlf for his work on the dedicated server page, I've updated the Biomass template and I'll update the Kharaa tech tree fully to reflect the new build, then see what else I find that needs updating, The installed extensions are here http://wiki.unknownworlds.com/ns2/Special:Version I've already requested Nuke to be installed to ensure we can quickly kill any pages created by spam bots in the future and I'm working on obtaining some efficient abuse filters from people I know in the wikipedia/wikimedia crowd. :)

As far as I can tell the Cite extension is needed for proper footnotes. Could you request that as well?
  • HoeloeHoeloe Switzerland Join Date: 2014-03-02 Member: 194487Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    I would like to translate the wiki into german, the only thing that keeps me from doing that: I don't know if all english pages are updated and I don't want to translate outdated stuff. The german part realy needs a rework cause there are some realy old things (like on mainpage: Das Spiel befindet sich momentan in einer frühen Beta-Phase. = The game is in a early beta state... oh rly? This explains a lot :P ).
  • PelargirPelargir Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185857Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Forum staff
    Hoeloe wrote: »
    I would like to translate the wiki into german, the only thing that keeps me from doing that: I don't know if all english pages are updated and I don't want to translate outdated stuff. The german part realy needs a rework cause there are some realy old things (like on mainpage: Das Spiel befindet sich momentan in einer frühen Beta-Phase. = The game is in a early beta state... oh rly? This explains a lot :P ).

I'm feeling the same for the French translation.
  • HoeloeHoeloe Switzerland Join Date: 2014-03-02 Member: 194487Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Haha, just checked the french part, it's even worse: :))
    Le jeu est actuellement au stade d'une version pré alpha.
    @Hoeloe @Pelargir I think most of it is up to date. The only things that aren't upto date are missing pages (eg. DLCs, web etc...). I have gone through all the changes up to 274 on everything including damage values.
  • FoxyFoxy United Kingdom Join Date: 2014-08-19 Member: 198032Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    @Hoeloe @Pelargir translators would be awesome! We can maybe do an article at a time? Get it fully up to date in English then tag it with a up to date/ready to translate template? I also highly suggest using templates to store as much data as possible and transcluding them into articles so when things do change, you can just change the template itself and not 5-6 articles. @d4rkAlf I'll ask Comprox, he is in touch with the person who has FTP access :)
    edited February 2015
    @Cannon_FodderAUS Thx, but i still think there are some outdated pages. My problem is, I am a total wiki-noob and I don't want to mess it up. I just thought about recent changes like PRes start with 15Res and cheaper Gorge Tunnel. The 15PRes start is not even mentioned on the page and Gorge Tunnel is still with 5PRes. What I want to say: I'm not sure about all those numbers in the wiki (damage, health, runspeeds, ranges, times) and it doesn't makes sence to translate them all when they are wrong...

@FoxyUK That would be okay for me. I don't know how to manage that, but doing/checking one article after another would be better instead of randomly translating wrong stuff.
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2015
    Do you think it would be a good idea to hard link the wiki under the "Game Guide" section of the UWE NS2 website, it would be handy for rookies to have that information available from the get go rather than delve into the forums searching for it? @Comprox
  • d4rkAlfd4rkAlf Sweden Join Date: 2013-11-12 Member: 189309Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    Yojimbo wrote: »
    Do you think it would be a good idea to hard link the wiki under the "Game Guide" section of the UWE NS2 website, it would be handy for rookies to have that information available from the get go rather than delve into the forums searching for it? @Comprox

That definitely makes sense once the wiki is more up to date. As it stands now however it might just confuse new players more than it helps them.
    @Cannon_FodderAUS Thx, but i still think there are some outdated pages. My problem is, I am a total wiki-noob and I don't want to mess it up. I just thought about recent changes like PRes start with 15Res and cheaper Gorge Tunnel. The 15PRes start is not even mentioned on the page and Gorge Tunnel is still with 5PRes. What I want to say: I'm not sure about all those numbers in the wiki (damage, health, runspeeds, ranges, times) and it doesn't makes sence to translate them all when they are wrong...

@FoxyUK That would be okay for me. I don't know how to manage that, but doing/checking one article after another would be better instead of randomly translating wrong stuff.

Anything you break can easily be reverted, the beauty of a mediawik is it retains all changes and even keeps deleted articles (unless they are suppressed or oversighted etc.) which in itself requires additional extensions, just be brave and edit :)
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue

Definitely, I like my links hard and clickable!

Also is a outsourced wiki an idea, something like... I dunno... haven't really looked into it but... Google says wikia...
    Kouji_San wrote: »

Definitely, I like my links hard and clickable!

Also is a outsourced wiki an idea, something like... I dunno... haven't really looked into it but... Google says wikia...

Wikia is just a free wiki hosting platform, there is already an NS2 wiki there, but it is very lacking in content. Generally Wikia is only used when there are no alternatives, in this case, UWE has been kind enough to host a wiki, now its up to us to keep it up-to date! :)

• Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited February 2015
    Fair enough, I just thought having some specific (dedicated?) wiki host would be a bigger counter against spam. I know we've had some issues on the current wiki with lacking features and the wiki package being up to date, because of lack of access to the core system...

Good to see this new initiative though =D>
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    Fair enough, I just thought having some specific (dedicated?) wiki host would be a bigger counter against spam. I know we've had some issues on the current wiki with lacking features and the wiki package being up to date, because of lack of access to the core system...

Good to see this new initiative though =D>

The article spam is manageable and preventable, I'm working on preventing the account creation in the first place - there's anywhere from 10-40 or so new spam accounts created every day!

edited February 2015

Thanks for checking this out. Oversight on my part. I will correct on the wiki.
    This is part of the reason when I wrote my guide and manual, I didn't put numbers on there (because it can change).
    @Hoeloe @Pelargir translators would be awesome! We can maybe do an article at a time? Get it fully up to date in English then tag it with a up to date/ready to translate template? I also highly suggest using templates to store as much data as possible and transcluding them into articles so when things do change, you can just change the template itself and not 5-6 articles. @d4rkAlf I'll ask Comprox, he is in touch with the person who has FTP access :)

The thing is, in its current situation, it looks super confusing to know if we can translate this article, or this other.
    There's no way to figure out what can be changed and what cannot be. I'm always like: "Can I update this or will it also change the English version despite the fact I'm supposed to be in the French part?". There's also lots of things that I cannot modify because I don't find where they are such as the one mentioned below about the game being still in beta or something. I can't see any option to update that.

Honestly, it'd be easier to remove the whole French translation, await the English one to get up to date and then, doing the job again. I don't even know who's been in charge of translating the Wiki in the past.
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Never really understood the difference between wiki and wikia
    Pelargir wrote: »

The thing is, in its current situation, it looks super confusing to know if we can translate this article, or this other.
    There's no way to figure out what can be changed and what cannot be. I'm always like: "Can I update this or will it also change the English version despite the fact I'm supposed to be in the French part?". There's also lots of things that I cannot modify because I don't find where they are such as the one mentioned below about the game being still in beta or something. I can't see any option to update that.

Honestly, it'd be easier to remove the whole French translation, await the English one to get up to date and then, doing the job again. I don't even know who's been in charge of translating the Wiki in the past.

I don't speak any French I could use, so whatever you think we need to do then go ahead. I suggest adding {{Delete|reason=Outdated}} to the top of every French page that needs deleting and I will remove them. Additionally, I'll make an infobox that we can add to articles that reads something along the lines of "This article is up to date as of build XXX"
    Never really understood the difference between wiki and wikia
    Wikia is a hosting service, It uses a version of MediaWiki (What Wikipedia and the NS2 wiki runs on). It's like InvisionFree for getting a free forum, nice, but unnecessary as we have an awesome forum (that rhymes!) right here :)

I've added the up-to-date infobox and you can see it in use here http://wiki.unknownworlds.com/ns2/Biomass
    edited February 2015
    I've added the up-to-date infobox and you can see it in use here http://wiki.unknownworlds.com/ns2/Biomass

Foxy, can you get a pic of the tech tree for aliens (I put it in the to do list). There is an old pic for the alien commander that still had shadow step. I can't find the techtree in the ui folder.

Foxy, can you get a pic of the tech tree for aliens (I put it in the to do list). There is an old pic for the alien commander that still had shadow step. I can't find the techtree in the ui folder.

I have the one from the wiki, I'm just editing it to be up-to-date

Okay, this infobox is nice for the future, but right now we have no overview... ATM I'm not sure but what do you think about a Google Excel sheet with all articles (yeah I know...) on it and checkboxes where we can see who has allready updated what pages. We could also add the languages for the translators so we know whats done and whats pending.

Same in german... Totally outdated, wrong translated and only ¼ of the actual english content translated... Aliens:de

I don't speak any French I could use, so whatever you think we need to do then go ahead. I suggest adding {{Delete|reason=Outdated}} to the top of every French page that needs deleting and I will remove them. Additionally, I'll make an infobox that we can add to articles that reads something along the lines of "This article is up to date as of build XXX"

I will try to do so when I get time.
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Captha or a NS2 quiz question should keep the bots out