HMG Work

VlaadVlaad Join Date: 2012-10-03 Member: 161403Members
So it just kind of crossed my mind... Not that marines need more tools to murder cute aliens but whattahel why not try to get a model into spark...

Instead of directly remaking one from NS I decided to go with more ns2 look. Something like "kord" hmg ns2 edition. Ammo is to be supplied via drum magazine by popping the hatch much like ns1.

Highpoly needs a bit more details on extendable grip. Weapon will be carried and fired from the hip FT style rather than from shoulder. Reload will be done by right arm rather than left as is tradition.

Its decent enough to show and implement ideas if somebody has a suggestions before I finalize high and move to low and bakes and then hook it to rig and do some anims for show..

Ill keep updating the project once progress is made.

Hope you guys like it. Oh yea, tried to setup better renders but since I messed up both max and maya wif 3rd party rendering software. Printscreen + ps for now...
hmg.JPG 168.7K
hmg1.JPG 118.2K

Comments

• BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    DANG that is looking GOOD! Can't wait to see that with textures.
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited August 2014
    A "small" disclaimer, if you plan on using this in ns2 in any way, you will need 3ds max 2009 32 bit and use the collada plugin that comes with NS2. Another disclaimer is that you will need to rig and animate for both male, and female separately for both first and third person. Contact me if you would like source to anything, as you most likely will because there is no documentation on model importing except for the source
  • VlaadVlaad Join Date: 2012-10-03 Member: 161403Members
    @BeigeAlert‌
    Thanks, still need to add a lot of details though. Ammo cover and grips are placeholders to name a few. Need to think of some decent design for muzzle break as well, feel free to throw in a few ideas if you feel like it. :)
    SamusDroid wrote: »
    A "small" disclaimer, if you plan on using this in ns2 in any way, you will need 3ds max 2009 32 bit and use the collada plugin that comes with NS2. Another disclaimer is that you will need to rig and animate for both male, and female separately for both first and third person.
    I'm planning on fully completing and implementing HMG as much as art side goes. Already got max 2009, with cry2 exporter running atm. As far as quartet of animation goes I wanted to ask about it. Its common practice to reuse rigs and just redo/edit animations while rig stays basically the same. Similar sizes/anatomy of chars can fit to one rig, male/female 3rd person and even if rig has to be changed animated controllers stay the same so new rig can be built around it. If that's the case then just the mesh itself has to be skinned.
    Perspectives (3rd and 1st) have to be exported from their respective scenes along with materials set to fit spark.
    SamusDroid wrote: »
    Contact me if you would like source to anything, as you most likely will because there is no documentation on model importing except for the source
    Awesome. When i'm done with this and move on to rig/anims, ill gladly accept any kind of help/advice.
  • MephillesMephilles Germany Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186634Members, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    finish that and I wanna see this model in compmod
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    Yeah this'll get used in compmod most likely if it gets finished. Hope that's some motivation for you, most of these projects don't seem to get passed where you're at currently. Good luck and looking forward to seeing a finished product!
  • NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    Now that's a real heavy machinegun. ^^
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    I want to see this in combat.

...what, let me dream.

If you can get this to work it will be awesome!
  • Anti_BosonAnti_Boson Join Date: 2013-07-03 Member: 185878Members
    edited September 2014
    It looks like it should be held like an M2!

(World model)
  • KristijanZuzijaKristijanZuzija Join Date: 2013-08-31 Member: 187431Members, Reinforced - Supporter
  • MauvaisVitrierMauvaisVitrier France Join Date: 2014-04-10 Member: 195291Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond
    Awesome work, looking forward to seeing this ingame
  • alsteralster Join Date: 2003-08-06 Member: 19124Members
    Is there a reason the stock is facing up? If not then a more traditional down facing would make more sense. If you want a more future look there are other ways of doing it.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited September 2014
    minigun style perhaps? but yeah needs a handle... (handlebar? :D) as well if that is the case, would be kinda awkward to hold if that thing ain't there
  • KKyleKKyle Michigan Join Date: 2005-07-01 Member: 55067Members
    Could actually use this right about now. I've currently the "heavyrifle" (or what compmod would call hmg) enabled. I've enabled the research, commander drop and armory buy. But frankly, the stock lmg model, sound, reload time far overpower the damage and clip. I've got as far as using the "compact lmg" model from the steam workshop, but editing the animation_graph does no good to prolong the reload animation.
  • deathshrouddeathshroud Join Date: 2010-04-10 Member: 71291Members
  • DecoyDecoy Join Date: 2012-09-11 Member: 159037Members, Super Administrators, Playtest Lead, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts, Retired Community Developer
    Dude. That's freaking sick!
  • KKyleKKyle Michigan Join Date: 2005-07-01 Member: 55067Members
    SiegeMod would totally run with your permission.
  • VlaadVlaad Join Date: 2012-10-03 Member: 161403Members
    KKyle wrote: »
    SiegeMod would totally run with your permission.
    No objections from my side. :)
    Although it will probably be someone else who will finalize it in terms of getting sounds ,code, effects and that kind of stuff... IMHO, there is more work to be done.

Small update for today: played a bit more wif anims, added finger animation and made it a bit more natural.

If someone has something to add, feel free to do so...

Anyone have any idea about the sounds?

My thought was something like ns2 alpha assault rifle:

• YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2014
    Sounds abit stealthy like something special ops would use, do you not like the original HMG sound from ns1 or something similar? maybe tidy it up alittle bit providing all the audio editing technology we have now?

If the LMG is a highly tuned japanese import car ready to be released onto the street drifting seamlessly round corners then the HMG should be an all loud all american mustang firing all cylinders straight down the quarter mile.

Needs to sound powerful so you get that satisfaction from bringing down the almighty Onos beast!
    i think the old alpha sound would be cool if modified a little,

i would like to see the auxiliary GL come back in some form as well
  • AnkleBitingKittyAnkleBitingKitty United States Join Date: 2014-01-19 Member: 193284Members
    Looks amazing.

I think the alpha sound seems like a good sound for it.
  • ZavaroZavaro Tucson, Arizona Join Date: 2005-02-14 Member: 41174Members, Super Administrators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    Gotta agree with the alpha sound! Get that ammo counter on there, man. I wanna blast some lerks!
  • ZavaroZavaro Tucson, Arizona Join Date: 2005-02-14 Member: 41174Members, Super Administrators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    Any news, Vlaad? I'd love to see this thing all rigged up!
    Vlaad has graciously handed implementation of the HMG to me. Here's an update on the progress:
    In Spark:

wolAlqb.jpg?1

SNJfj11.jpg?1

Deploy Animation:

• Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    in terms of sound, I'm still very much haunted by the NS extreme power KABOOOM sounds. They were just beyond epic, ya can rip that frm the \half-life\ns\sound\weapons dir any time ya want :P
    edited February 2015
    The HMG has finally found its way in-game!
    Xeu5ANM.jpg?1
    ykb7VMF.jpg?1
    Gjc2F9J.jpg?1

Again, great work on the model Vlaad and TomTom!
  • PelargirPelargir Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185857Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Forum staff
    Nice, too bad it's only on Combat. Would have been even better on vanilla NS2. Great job though!
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    is compmod still using the HMG? why not use this there?
    looks great, cant wait to use it ib game