Getting a feel for the competitive scene

BobWasHereBobWasHere Lol Join Date: 2015-02-03 Member: 201176Members
I have played 1000+ hours of ns2 at this point I am kind of wanting to go ahead and try to be a bit more competitive. Is there anything that I need to know or just look out for? Also how do you determine skill level? Is it using the hive skill system and they are just saying their skill is high, low, or medium?

Comments

• YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    I suggest you try the gathers first on www.ensl.org, get used to 6 vs 6 PCW's, make a name for yourself, get to know the clans, watch alot of youtube and twitch.

Only then will you be ready for your jedi training.
  • ZavaroZavaro Tucson, Arizona Join Date: 2005-02-14 Member: 41174Members, Super Administrators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    Get on the Reddit NS2 mumble and play some pick up games. They can sometimes get rough, so don't get distraught.
  • FeathermonsterFeathermonster California Join Date: 2013-08-30 Member: 187312Members, Super Administrators, Playtest Lead, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    Here, have a full set of links to some of the things mentioned. :) All places with 6v6 and competitive players lurking. As far as skill level goes, probably the best bet is playing some of these and see how you stack up against other competitive players -- probably assume you're somewhere in low-medium just because there are some REALLY good players out there, so that's where most straight-out-of-pubs people sit. You should be able to get a feel for it after some rounds. Keep playing and you should keep getting better. :D

NSL Gathers - http://ensl.org - Open to anyone anywhere, primarily has 6v6 stuff goin' on during EU primetime. Sign up, wait, don't forget to remove yourself from the list if you have to go.
    Reddit pugs steam group - http://steamcommunity.com/groups/rns2pugs - Mostly ends up being NA primetime, done in mumble.
    AusNS2 pugs - http://www.ausns2.org - Of course, happens mostly during Australia-friendly times. How about that. Also in mumble last I checked.
  • PelargirPelargir Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185857Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Forum staff
    It also depends a lot where do you come from.
  • BobWasHereBobWasHere Lol Join Date: 2015-02-03 Member: 201176Members
    Awesome, thank you so much everyone. Pelargir what do you mean? Like NA or EU?
  • PelargirPelargir Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185857Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Forum staff
    BobWasHere wrote: »
    Awesome, thank you so much everyone. Pelargir what do you mean? Like NA or EU?

Yup. :)