Onos, Onoses, Onii. The Eternal Question.

124»

Comments

• deathshrouddeathshroud Join Date: 2010-04-10 Member: 71291Members
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    This thread is getting a bit too deep and a little too polarised for an argument about which word we need to use to describe groups of fictional alien bacteria-rhinoceroses...

But I fucking love it
  • PelargirPelargir Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185857Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Forum staff
    IronHorse wrote: »
    Your Argumentum ad populum not only fails because it's a fallacy, but also because the people HAVE voted on this issue in that very thread I linked, and the message was clear; The people chose Oni :)

Looking at this thread, I would say no, they haven't chosen Oni. :p
  • jackson7jackson7 France Join Date: 2013-10-05 Member: 188594Members
    I think it is either "multiple onos" or even "onoses". Not "oni" or "onii" and I'll explain why, according to me.

Warning : I didn't read the thread, I'm just telling my opinion, sorry if some things have been said already.

First of all, my opinion on the "lore".
    I don't know if I'm right, but I believe that Aliens, since they're not supposed speak English, don't give names to their species themselves. This is why their names are given by the humans, according to a special trait that they find remarkable.
    Skulks are skulking, lurking.
    Gorges look like piggies, they're cute and GORGEous OR they're fat so they "gorge", overeat
    I have no clue about what "Lerk" can be taken from, I'm sorry
    Fades, you know it when you fight them, they just appear, fade in, then move like ninjas and "fade away" in a blink when they escape.
    And now for the Onos ... for me "Onos" is taken from the scream of marines when they see one, they go like : "OoOoh NooOoOeeeeezzz !!1!1!1!!!1" Oh noes, --> Onos

Now, why not Oni, or Onii.
    I know you can make a plural in "i" out of a singular in S, but that just would not make sense if you consider what I said before. Moreover, there's already something called an "Oni" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oni and they're creatures from the Japanese culture that you may have seen in some other games, and for that I would refuse to call multiple onos "oni".

Finally, in English, S is the mark of plural. And you pronounce it. So, the S is already present in "OnoS" at the singular form, so I keep it and make "Onos" an invariable word, which has the same form for both plural and singular. Then the context tells us if there are several of these creatures. If there are more than one, you're fucked already :D . And in case we'd need to make ourselves clear, we can say "onoses" considering Onos as singular and add another plural mark (-es) to vocally mark the plural. One Onos, two OnosES. I find it a bit unpleasant to hear but it's practical and there cannot be any mistake.

So, for these three reasons atm I say multiple onos, or onoses.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Mendasp wrote: »
    4 pages of this, what the hell is wrong with all of you?

you're lovin' it you silly git, I know you do :-h
  • SupaDupaNoodleSupaDupaNoodle Join Date: 2003-01-12 Member: 12232Members
    Mendasp wrote: »

Either devotion or fanaticism.
  • _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    The community was apparently in dire need to discuss something apart from the same old Marine jump and Gorge Babblers / webs.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited February 2015
    _INTER_ wrote: »
    The community was apparently in dire need to discuss something apart from the same old Marine jump and Gorge Babblers / webs.

That gives me an idea for a new poll... Bunnyhoppers or Bunnyhipsters
  • 0ni0ni Join Date: 2012-08-30 Member: 156991Members
    I tried saying "There's oni in topo!" last night.

People just told me said "no he's not, he's in the re spawn que." :(

Definitely going to have to add that extra " i " in the future.
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    0ni wrote: »
    I tried saying "There's oni in topo!" last night.

People just told me said "no he's not, he's in the re spawn que." :(

Definitely going to have to add that extra " i " in the future.

Onosuses it is then hahahaha