Onos, Onoses, Onii. The Eternal Question.

Comments

• ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Soul_Rider wrote: »
    Obraxis wrote: »
    Changing Onos to Oni to me a native English speaker appears to be grammatically incorrect, especially when there are many examples that can be cited with other animals ending in the letter 'S'.

You wouldn't say 'Multiple Dogi'. You say 'Multiple Dogs'.

WTF!!!??!?!?! When the hell did DOG start ending with an S in the singular?

A Dog, Some Dogs
    An Onos, Some Oni

How are they even related??

Ok, but the rest of my post is still correct otherwise you would have argued one of the other 7 points rather than the weakest one.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    I wasn't arguing your points, as my post clearly states, I think people who try to enforce 'real life rules' on fantasy and fiction fail for misunderstanding Art.

Do you do it to all the names in Lord of the Rings or WoW too? lol :)
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
  • amoralamoral Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177250Members
    IronHorse wrote: »
    The game's designer and creator says its Oni. He named the damn things..

And that's basically the only argument I need.

usage dictates a lot.
  • TheriusTherius Join Date: 2009-03-06 Member: 66642Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Soul_Rider wrote: »
    I wasn't arguing your points, as my post clearly states, I think people who try to enforce 'real life rules' on fantasy and fiction fail for misunderstanding Art.

Do you do it to all the names in Lord of the Rings or WoW too? lol :)

There's no point in discussion if everything can be dismissed by the excuse of 'art'. Throwing logic out of the window just for its own sake is bad art.

And the world of the Lord of the Rings is linguistically extremely elaborate, and I would, and people have, extensively, done this to all its names.
  • roxxkattroxxkatt Join Date: 2014-12-28 Member: 200431Members
    1) i dont vaccinate my children because it is art

2) i dont vaccinate my childrenii because my children are imaginary

$$$
  • dethovudethovu Join Date: 2009-06-23 Member: 67906Members
    edited February 2015
    I thought this was settled last decade... :)

Also: Oni.
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    Comprox wrote: »
    My member number is 7. It is Oni. I would know. Solved.

Just curious, who is the leader of UWE?
  • d0ped0gd0ped0g Join Date: 2003-05-25 Member: 16679Members
    Obraxis wrote: »
    You wouldn't say 'Multiple Rhinoceri'.

Well, you might... and you'd only be half-wrong - http://english.answers.com/grammar/the-plural-of-rhinoceros

It's kinda like the misuse of the word 'literally'. It's so commonly used that way that it's becoming more and more widely accepted such that they're starting to include it in the dictionary, even though it is technically a misuse.

However, perhaps this is even more of a reason not to vote for Oni - it promotes the continuing degradation of the English language.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Therius wrote: »
    Throwing logic out of the window just for its own sake is bad art.
    Clearly you're unfamiliar with science fiction, abstract or surreal arts... some of the most revered genres within art.
  • TheriusTherius Join Date: 2009-03-06 Member: 66642Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Clearly you're unfamiliar with science fiction, abstract or surreal arts... some of the most revered genres within art.

All of which have no obligation whatsoever to neglect logic.
  • PelargirPelargir Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185857Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Forum staff
    We should also make a poll about: how many people did vote Oni but say Onos ingame?

I know a couple of people who voted Oni but use the logical Onos word when they're playing.

But whatever...
  • sotanahtsotanaht Join Date: 2013-01-12 Member: 179215Members
    At least there's a convenient way around it all. Instead of saying 2 Onos/oni/on-ee-eye, say "Double Onos". When using the terms double/triple/quadruple (quad) you always use the singular version of the noun anyway.
  • MephillesMephilles Germany Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186634Members, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    wohoo more people are for "multiple oni".

where is your god now @Pelargir
  • LachdananLachdanan Join Date: 2003-06-04 Member: 16995Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Onos
    The game's designer and creator says its Oni. He named the damn things..
    And that's basically the only argument I need.

Knowing the guy who phoned Flayra in the middle of the night and asked this particular question.
    To repeat his words:
    He believes that Flayra said its Oni, while he wasn´t so sure if he pressured him into that answer.
    Could have also been Onoses, but he was too damn drunken to remember Flayras answer, the next day.

• meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Singular - Onos (Oh-Noess with a slippery Sssss)
    Plural - Onos (Oh-Noes pronounced as spelled)
  • Soylent_greenSoylent_green Join Date: 2002-12-20 Member: 11220Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    The least important issues often generate the most controversy for some reason.

(also, it's multiple onos or onoses; I've never seen anyone use oni ingame from 2002 to present. That's just some weird thing someone who thought they were being clever came up with on the forum)
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    I am certain @Flayra has said Oni on video/audio somewhere. I am convinced I have heard Oni in his voice, and while I am well aware of the power of suggestion, I am sure I am not imagining it :D
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    If @ironhorse says flayra calls it oni flayra calls it oni. That does not make him right
  • Soylent_greenSoylent_green Join Date: 2002-12-20 Member: 11220Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2015
    The first post to use oni, march 2002: http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/comment/8870#Comment_8870
    Turns out he was talking about the video game Oni released in 2001. So do the next dozen or so people.

The next use was in the alien name reveal thread; where level1/bob, level2/pudgy/fatty, level3/flappy/batty, level4/blinky and level5/tiny were discarded for skulk, gorge, lerk, fade and onos.
    http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/5239/alien-names/p1

Tomodachi thought onos sounded stupid and wanted to call them oni (singular) on page 1.
    The next use was windelkron on the next page who thought oni was a silly name for the level 5 and thought it was better suited to the level 4, because it means ghost or demon or something in some culture or other.

Then on page 8 JediYoshi asks what the plural of onos is and TychoCelchuuu chimes: http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/comment/72493#Comment_72493

Unless someone has mentioned it on IRC before then, this is when oni was invented.
  • _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Unless someone has mentioned it on IRC before then, this is when oni was invented.
    Oni was invented by the NS1 creater and UWE lead. This vote is just meaningless.
    _INTER_ wrote: »
    Oni was invented by the NS1 creater and UWE lead. This vote is just meaningless.

Source?

Also I agree, It clearly is a meaningless vote. People ingame will keep saying onos no matter what we say on the forum.
  • PelargirPelargir Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185857Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Forum staff
    So, let's sum up a bit this to make it clear.

There's people who voted that the plural of Onos is Onos. Which I agree on. Because 1 Onos, 2 Onos. Whatever you're looking at ingame, you will never see this word Oni. Always Onos.
    It also makes sense to not change anything to a such word ending up with a S. English is not my native language but it still makes more sense than any other, I mean, Onoses will not confuse me though but definitely not Oni.
    You can also refer to what @Obraxis said about it, and unlike me, he's from United Kingdom, he knows English perfectly well.

There's also people saying Onoses which is fine I guess. Some kind of confirmation we're talking about multiple Onos. It matters not whether it's true or not. You can spell it Onoses and write it Onos or simply both writting and spelling it Onoses. It's not that weird honestly.

Another one is saying that the plural of Onos is Onii. What? Why? I mean, why Onii and not Oni? What's the point at adding another i? I'm still looking for an answer in this thread because no one has been able to clarify the use of another i at the end of the word. So, can someone explain me why 1 Onos = 2 Onii?

The last one is about Oni. And for what it worth, the only reason mentioned in this thread was because the one who created this word said that, sometimes.
    Hum, okay. so because @Flayra said Oni, his word is truth? I mean, no, really. When your game reaches a such high amount of players, the voice of one man does not any longer matter.

I'm from France. We've been the first country making codes for our laws. If we're looking for an article, jurisprudence, court decision, anything related to the Law, we only need to take a look into our impressive number of various codes. For instance, in our Penal Code, if there's nothing about punishment and sanction, there's none. We always refer to these codes to find the truth about the law in general.

Well, not always actually, as many countries do, the "custom" is also part of our system. Especially our stuff related to trade law. There's things that should be this way, written and mentioned in our codes but the custom and habits of our tradespeople changed it, it's been like that but most of the people, if not everybody was acting differently, was dealing with other means and these manners became part of the Law.

In other words, it can be called initially Oni, 80% of the players, which are not representing the number of voters here used to say Onos. And they definitely don't care whether their creator spell it Oni or Onos. That's Onos in their minds and that's why you'll never hear Oni on public or competitive games, or most of them, except maybe now because of people starting up this debate. So personally, it's Onos, I've been using this word since I play this game, everyone around me spells it Onos. The habits of people saying Onos should prevail over the fact of saying Oni. Matters not if that was not perceived this way by his creator.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited February 2015
    Comprox wrote: »
    My member number is 7. It is Oni. I would know. Solved.

I've been able to reach an ascended level on these here forums, way beyond all others and there's Onii-chan video as well... Even though I'd accept Oni as well :-?

Also I've mostly heard people call them Onii [Oh Knee] or Oni [Oh Nai], so saying no one says that, I find that quite odd...

Also:
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff

That is the purpose of art, otherwise we would just walk up to something and say "that's like....." and go on with our day. Art is illogical, or it isn't art.
  • GenericOverusedNameGenericOverusedName Join Date: 2013-02-12 Member: 183022Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Ox, Oxen. Onos, Onosen.

Probably isn't right, but it is fun to say.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    @Soylent_green
    There was an audio recording of Flayra saying it, that link is dead tho.
    There was also an official screenshot which had the caption "Stampede of Oni"

Whether either of these predate your findings, I do not know. (somewhere in 2003)

@Pelargir
    Your Argumentum ad populum not only fails because it's a fallacy, but also because the people HAVE voted on this issue in that very thread I linked, and the message was clear; The people chose Oni :)
    Sadly this thread is not turning out how I would have wanted, but multiple onos makes a lot of sense. Good thing language is flexible and always evolving. I used to argue with my gradeschool English teachers about this. They would say it was wrong, but I said I was on the forefront of the English language not entirely bound by official rules. It may of been voted for Oni then, and kind of now, but multiple onos is still very popular.
    AurOn2 wrote: »

That is the purpose of art, otherwise we would just walk up to something and say "that's like....." and go on with our day. Art is illogical, or it isn't art.

The point of art is by no means to be illogical for the sake of being illogical. I don't know why you would say that.