Is it possible to "gracefully" restart the server?

d4rkAlfd4rkAlf Sweden Join Date: 2013-11-12 Member: 189309Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
So I've just recently got a server up and running and I'm still doing lots of experimentation to find a configuration that fits me just perfectly. One annoyance that has cropped up is the need to constantly restart the server for new settings/configs to take effect. (Or does a level change suffice?)

So I'm wondering if there's any command or such that you can run to restart the server?

Comments

• HellwireDHellwireD Join Date: 2015-01-18 Member: 200904Members
    only some basic settings that are defined in the startup parameters require a restart to change, rest gets reloaded on mapcycle.
    you should talk to a guy called ATF, he helps fellow ops. no need to make a thread for every tiny thing.
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited January 2015
    HellwireD wrote: »
    no need to make a thread for every tiny thing.
    Right, so he should have just assumed to PM someone who he didn't know could help?
  • d4rkAlfd4rkAlf Sweden Join Date: 2013-11-12 Member: 189309Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    only some basic settings that are defined in the startup parameters require a restart to change, rest gets reloaded on mapcycle.
    you should talk to a guy called ATF, he helps fellow ops. no need to make a thread for every tiny thing.
    Thanks for your help!

The benefit of making threads about these kind of things though is that they will (hopefully) get indexed by Google and therefore actually show up in search results. I always google an issue as a first step in resolving it and I'm pretty sure there are many other out there who do the same. This way nobody will ever have to be pestered again by the same questions! X-D
    2cough wrote: »
    no need to make a thread for every tiny thing.
    Right, so he should have just assumed to PM someone who he didn't know could help?
    Haha, that as well!
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    The answer is that you should never need to restart your server to apply your configs unless you want to change something that is directly affected by the start params and can't be changed otherwise (e.g. webadmin access details afaik).

Otherwise all you need to do is a mapchange or two ( the mapcycle.json gets cached so changes sometimes only apply after a second mapchange).
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    disagree with a question, @HellwireD ? Right on
  • HellwireDHellwireD Join Date: 2015-01-18 Member: 200904Members
    You're mundane, as is this thread.
    I'm a mustang? Why thank you :D