Build 273 Live on Steam - Natural Selection 2

SystemSystem Join Date: 2013-01-29 Member: 182599Members, Super Administrators, Reinforced - Diamond
edited January 2015 in NS2 General Discussion

imageBuild 273 Live on Steam - Natural Selection 2

Hot off the heals of Build 272, we are happy to bring you our first update of 2015. We closed out 2014 with a bang, two months of sales bringing...

Read the full story here

Comments

• WasabiOneWasabiOne Co-Lead NS2 CDT Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104623Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited January 2015
    If anyone wants to use the exe version of the workshopbackup-server here it is: http://goo.gl/BZnFNc

Notice that this is a c-wrapped version of the python one (modified version so server params get stored into a json config file)
  • remiremi remedy [blu.knight] Join Date: 2003-11-18 Member: 23112Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester
  • DilligafDilligaf Join Date: 2014-05-25 Member: 196238Members
    Great cant wait for the future.
  • HellwireDHellwireD Join Date: 2015-01-18 Member: 200904Members
    Can't find ns2\utils\workshopbackup\ :-/
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited January 2015
    HellwireD wrote: »
    Can't find ns2\utils\workshopbackup\ :-/

Yeah it was shipped with the client packet only. (Damn you build machine) Just copy paste it to the server ;)
  • StardogStardog Join Date: 2004-10-25 Member: 32448Members
    Thanks for the update!
  • RtasVadumRtasVadum Schweizland Join Date: 2014-04-30 Member: 195673Members
    Update gave me performance issues and huge FPS drops from 80 to 40 which I hadn't before the update.
  • PuphBallPuphBall Join Date: 2013-06-06 Member: 185488Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    At the onset of Patch 272, Siege Mode died and I'm disheartened. The success rate of getting into a Siege server is less than 60%, even when deleting the %APPDATA%/NS2 folder. "Missing mod required" is the error in question. Nobody is going to seed a server if half the player base can't easily join.

When can I play Siege mode again? I miss my Siege friends :(
  • SnXSnX Join Date: 2013-01-17 Member: 180145Members, Reinforced - Gold
    edited January 2015
    Huge FPS issues since this update! Even with 2x R9 290's...
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    We had zero issues of FPS decreases during weeks of playtest on various different specs and systems.

If you're having FPS issues, please verify your Steam NS2 Cache. If that doesn't work, please run techsupport.exe in your NS2 folder and upload the file it create online and provide us with the link in this thread. Thanks!
  • VindalooVindaloo Join Date: 2012-12-04 Member: 174127Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    @Mendasp When spectating and pulling up the X stats menu from ns2+ you loose mouse cursor afterwards. Was in middle of the cast so cannot give more detail, happened maybe twice...
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    Damnit Mendasp, I was planning to publish that. (I have done so for combat haha)
    You beat me to it.. Meh, guess ill sub to yours then. ;)

I like this patch so far.

* No issues whatsoever on mods or other weird update stuff. (not even comp mod)
    * No lua errors.
    * Received the server admin mail well on time.

After patching all our 16 servers (half are backups), I have only experienced one mod download timeout, and that took a mere reload.

fastest patch since a while. :)

I will 'soon' look into the workshop backup server, but that will require some internal communication. For now, I havent looked at that yet.

Keep up the good work folk. :)
  • MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    Vindaloo wrote: »
    @Mendasp When spectating and pulling up the X stats menu from ns2+ you loose mouse cursor afterwards. Was in middle of the cast so cannot give more detail, happened maybe twice...
    I watched the stream and picked up on that and a few other errors, I'm working on it. Thanks!
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    Such a short list, with so many changes! You forgot to mention the new menus!

Nudge Nudge
  • develdevel Join Date: 2014-09-13 Member: 198444Members
    AurOn2 wrote: »
    Such a short list, with so many changes! You forgot to mention the new menus!

Nudge Nudge

Those that have messed up my minimap and score menu? )
  • cwafflescwaffles Khazakstan Join Date: 2015-01-22 Member: 200996Members
    edited January 2015
    I feel the GL nerf is a bit much. You can no longer:
    -1 shot a skulk with full armor and 2 biomass
    -2 shot gorges
    -3 shot fades
    -fighting onos is even more ridiculous

20 res for a GL that is useless within 10 meters is a bit much. Hand grenade spam with LMG seems like a better choice now.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    cwaffles wrote: »
    20 res for a GL that is useless within 10 meters is a bit much. Hand grenade spam with LMG seems like a better choice now.
    I totally agree with this part of your statement.
    Narfwak wrote: »
    I feel the GL nerf is a bit much. You can no longer:
    -1 shot a skulk with full armor and 4 biomass
    -2 shot gorges
    -3 shot fades
    -fighting onos is even more ridiculous

That's the point. The GL is intended to be primarily an anti-structure weapon.

As a skulk, I have no qualms about being one shotted by a direct hit of a 40mm explosive. It's a bloody rock full of C4 that is somewhat aerodynamic! It's the high risk, high reward weapon that can be powerful in skilled hands. Now it's just a high risk, mediumish reward weapon.

I feel like this weapon should be like a demoman's sticky bombs in TF2. Primarily anti-structure or trap, but very useful at mid to long-ish ranges.

Oneshotting a skulk was definately a problem.

Besides, it's a damn support weapon. it's designed to destroy structures and give AOE BOOM BOOM BOOM to round skulks biting your buddies bum's.
    Because the law of nanites says "i cannot hurt a friend, even with HUGEMUNGOOUUS EXPLOSHUNS"
    If you were ever able to fight an onos, 1v1, with an GL. I applaud you. Or maybe not so, that onos was probably new.

Having a support siege weapon 2shot gorges and 3 shot fades is terrible gameplay wise.

though maybe it could lose some of it's cost.

Try consistently 3 shotting a fade who has a clue what they're doing. Especially if they start getting close to you. A gorge 2 shot becomes 3 shot if they heal spray anyways. The reload cycle is already long enough. If it was back to 15 res, I wouldn't be writing this.
  • ZEROibisZEROibis Join Date: 2009-10-30 Member: 69176Members, Constellation
    Workshop mods are now 100% broken. For example now that ns2+ has been updated no one can join the server no matter how many restarts or map changes unless they are already on the server or connect exactly when the map change occurs. If you connect outside of that time you will get missing mod 100% of the time. The only solution is to disable all mods that have been update since this patch.
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    @ZEROibis‌ please check with @DC_Darkling‌ in case it's some settings issue as he seems to be having no issues.
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    edited January 2015
    Oneshotting a skulk was definately a problem.

Besides, it's a damn support weapon. it's designed to destroy structures and give AOE BOOM BOOM BOOM to round skulks biting your buddies bum's.
    Because the law of nanites says "i cannot hurt a friend, even with HUGEMUNGOOUUS EXPLOSHUNS"
    If you were ever able to fight an onos, 1v1, with an GL. I applaud you. Or maybe not so, that onos was probably new.

Having a support siege weapon 2shot gorges and 3 shot fades is terrible gameplay wise.

though maybe it could lose some of it's cost.

Try consistently 3 shotting a fade who has a clue what they're doing. Especially if they start getting close to you. A gorge 2 shot becomes 3 shot if they heal spray anyways. The reload cycle is already long enough. If it was back to 15 res, I wouldn't be writing this.

That's the point, you SHOULDN'T Be.
    And not many people would agree with your "i don't mind getting oneshotted as a skulk" thing, either. It's bad enough they get oneshotted at CLOSE RANGE (shotgun), but at long range? No, not happening. At least with the shotgun onehit you also have a chance to kill.

Though i already pointed out, i agree on the 15 res thing. it would be done, if not for the fact... it's a poweful weapon en masse. And cycling it back to 15 would mean.. you guessed it.. pub spam GL LAUNCH MODE.

It'll probably get shoved into compmod though.
  • boLiviA_escudoboLiviA_escudo Bolivia Join Date: 2015-01-06 Member: 200654Members
  • loMeloMe PA Join Date: 2014-02-26 Member: 194387Members
    edited January 2015
    I've been having some issues since the update came out. First thing I noticed was that my Alien Vision kept periodically turning off. About every 15 seconds it would turn off. Next thing that seems to be related to Build 273 is FPS. My game seemed to be getting really choppy, especially when shooting. With shotguns, I noticed basically anytime I point blank shot a cyst/structure/alien, my fps went from about 120 to 70/80ish. Never had that problem before. I rebooted my computer to see if it would fix it, but I just kept getting the same problem. The only mod I have running is rant's crosshair.

Edit:: Oh one other minor thing I noticed that someone else said happened to them too was the blue stuff (squares) that comes on your screen as marine when you spawn kept popping up when I pressed tab to look at the scoreboard. Might have only been during pregame since it eventually went away.