Late game content

aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
I was thinking a bit about this today, and was thinking of what the different parts of the game could contain:

Early-Game:

- Gathering basic resources to build more gadgets.
- Solid UI elements help you figure out the game.
- Exploration to find more minerals and explore the semi-surface areas.

Mid-Game:
- Around the time you get your cyclops built, which allows you to sustainably explore the deeper areas.
- Your range of exploration is much larger now that you essentially have a mobile base.
- Can build structures in areas you wish to explore more.

Late-Game:
- You've spent some time modifying your cyclops, and gathering gear to manage the extreme, pitch black depths present in the void beyond the main surface world.
- You descend very deep to the bottom of the ocean. They're lava vents, and all sorts of beautiful bioluminescence, but many nasty fish that make it difficult to survive. This area is a bit mysterious.
- You try to construct structures at the bottom to help you survive and gain a foothold, as they're rare minerals needed down here to construct
the highest level of upgrades.

"End-Game":
- You need to build a giant terraformer, ship to escape, or some other big project. They're 3 different endings and its up to you which to pursue.
- You have to defeat the big baddy seen in the trailer, and he's making life difficult for you.
- The weather turns nasty all the time with powerful storms and waves. The nasties from the deep travel all over the map, and to the surface areas and wreak havoc on the natural ecosystems you've become accustomed to.
- Once the main boss or goal is accomplished, the world becomes tranquil again, and you can continue exploring if you wish.

Comments

• AerofluxAeroflux GA, USA Join Date: 2014-12-22 Member: 200206Members
    edited January 2015
    I like everything but the last bit. Tranquility is nice, but I'm concerned that longevity will suffer in stagnant water. There needs to be a challenge that is ongoing..something that takes advantage of the strengths in the SN structure of gameplay.
  • SeldkamSeldkam Join Date: 2014-01-01 Member: 191213Members
    Please no end all be all type of endings to this game... If anything the end of the story should content, not discourage exploration by shoving the knowledge that logically you just blasted off the planet I'm your newly built spaceship

Also, this game isn't about killing life, so a huge no to the defeat of massive creatures. Just defeats the whole purpose of the game. The knife is, sadly, op enough as it is, able to slaughter shark sized creatures in about five slashes
  • aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    edited January 2015
    Well the end goal could be something different, I just want there to be a final goal to the game that you work towards. This may not involve killing something, but something that takes time to get to.

I'm one of those guys that hates minecraft simply because its TOO open world, and no real goal to accomplish. You should have great freedom in subnautica, but be working towards something. Once its accomplished, you're still free to explore forever if you like.
  • FormousFormous USA Join Date: 2015-01-19 Member: 200918Members
    I have to agree. Without a End-game goal, each play through loses Meaning. Your there for a reason and something happened. Ignoring the fact you still probably have a mission and have to choose to succeed at it or not, remains there always. Ultimately, I feel the end-game needs to be complimented by something terraformer-esque. Your there for that purpose, that should be your end-game. Perhaps when the Terraformer goes off, it dramatically changes the game world as you watch, and then your left with a significantly altered world ready for the coming colony ships, and They are coming. You were the Vanguard. The Aurora has a mission, even now.

As to the Leviathan. Yes, this big baddy needs to be coming after you a Lot after a number of days post the creation of the Cyclops, not always able to find you, but he is out there. This game needs to have real persistent threats. As pretty as the world is, any ocean world eventually has a immense cadre of killers of all Sizes. Earth's megalodon, the Orca, the Shark Species, and the Mosasaur were all powerful, highly adapted predators. I see no reason for Subnautica, (I call the world Tyrene :P), would not also have a number of powerful predators, but something made that pulse, and I would like to see something out there trying to kill us.