Terraformer

SeldkamSeldkam Join Date: 2014-01-01 Member: 191213Members
Didn't see a discussion on the Terraformer yet, so decided to start one (with my thoughts)

First off, it has huge potential. It already works relatively well considering the state of the game overall. The problem of it is that it really is just too powerful a tool. Before the terraformer, there were many caves that were inaccessible unless the player dug the sand from under them or collected floaters and made them move that way. Now however, the player can just destroy the rocks around the boulder and swim right on by. I think the terraformer should have some sort of upgrade path, and/or have a significantly harder crafting recipe, as glass and a battery is just too easy to craft.

That said, it is a very cool tool, useful for creating something of a fortress around a base. But again, the same issue applies: what if the player just makes huge walls surrounding his base? there wouldn't be any danger to him for the entire game as long as he just stays in his fortress. I understand some think that it would be cool to do that, but I really think the game should ALWAYS have something stalking the player, or at least making him/her feel worried about something that could potentially happen to him/her.

My two cents

Comments

• crimsontwilightcrimsontwilight England Join Date: 2014-03-30 Member: 195051Members
    I completely agree with everything you've said, I think that it could be balanced by making it act more like a push/pull tool that only effects sand (at least at low upgrade levels, if that is implemented), so that no sand was ever removed from the world, just moved about. Alternatively sand could (theoretically) be scripted so that it will act almost like gravity effects it, i.e. you can't stick to the side of a cliff or build a huge wall out of it.
  • dottedfishdottedfish Germany Join Date: 2014-11-22 Member: 199755Members
    edited January 2015
    Personally I'm not a big fan of the Terraformer for a number of reasons.

1. I think the terrain created looks odd and doesn't fit. This could be fixed but
    2. I would assume it makes saving a hell and probably even worse for multiplayer which I am really hoping for
    3. I feel the added benefit could always be compensated. E.g. want to wall yourself in just build walls (and make them breakable for giant creatures). Much more immersive than creating an impenetrable wall of rock

I can't think of anything that isn't actually subtracting from the gameplay that needs a terraformer. It's way too easy to use against the game or even exploit. In fact you could even seal your base off every time you enter exit by digging a hole in the wall and sealing it again behind you.

In fact I don't even like stationary bases. I once mentioned somewhere that I'd prefer a scaled approach, meaning your "bases" getting bigger and bigger but always mobile. I could imagine laying a sensor net and having to return home quickly if giant predators or creatures approach and / or attack.
  • SeldkamSeldkam Join Date: 2014-01-01 Member: 191213Members
    edited January 2015
    Yep, dottedfish has essentially my concerns

Game 2ez and all that

Perhaps a more specific use would make it less op so to speak?
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    Right now we are in full on prototyping and implementation mode -- not polishing, balancing, tweaking mode. Many items we are adding to the game right now are easy to get, and overly powerful to use, because we just want players to experience the new content and start messing around with it. All that is going to get fine tuned once we have enough content in so that we can get a better understanding of how everything is going to work together, and then we can proceed to balance the tech and creatures, and develop the game progression properly.
    Right now we are in full on prototyping and implementation mode -- not polishing, balancing, tweaking mode. Many items we are adding to the game right now are easy to get, and overly powerful to use, because we just want players to experience the new content and start messing around with it. All that is going to get fine tuned once we have enough content in so that we can get a better understanding of how everything is going to work together, and then we can proceed to balance the tech and creatures, and develop the game progression properly.

Yea I think most of us get that, we just like complaining while giving what we think is constructive criticism lol
  • SteveRockSteveRock Join Date: 2012-10-01 Member: 161215Members, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer
    I think eventually we'll definitely limit what kind of material you can actually dig with it. Then there will be other tools to dig more materials.
    ^ that sounds good maybe the rock p[uncher could destroy "walls"?
  • MaitlandMaitland West Australia Join Date: 2014-12-25 Member: 200270Members
    edited January 2015
    dottedfish wrote: »
    In fact I don't even like stationary bases. I once mentioned somewhere that I'd prefer a scaled approach, meaning your "bases" getting bigger and bigger but always mobile. I could imagine laying a sensor net and having to return home quickly if giant predators or creatures approach and / or attack.
    I think the Terraformer would be useful for:
    1. Creating a habitat for creatures to move into (Aquaculture Farming)
    2. To tailor the land so that you're underwater base will have somewhere to dock.
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    Seldkam wrote: »
    ^ that sounds good maybe the rock p[uncher could destroy "walls"?
    Man...the player should totally be able to tame a Rockpuncher and ride on it's back and steer him into walls to punch through...:P
    ^ guessing you're half joking, so I'll do the same

Really big potential for being op and getting through caves too easy

Or, glorious... Almost as much as the Aqua gorge idea