NS2_Nexus Feedback Thread! (Formerly Nyx, Updated weekly!)

ZavaroZavaro Tucson, Arizona Join Date: 2005-02-14 Member: 41174Members, Super Administrators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
edited February 2015 in Mapping
Welcome to the heart of darkness.

NzXmLOk.png

I'm making this thread for Malpractice and I to gauge response and interface with you guys how you feel about the map.

Nyx is a facility located deep in the heart of an alien jungle. It's humid, and hostile, and dark in the canopies of the surrounding foliage, an environment mirrored within the facility itself.

This is the workshop link.
Hex for server mods is 17B0E28C

I should warn you and any server that this is a work in progress, not a finished product. Performance and detail are all subject to change (for the better).

Screenies (all WIP)
OIVzoiD.jpg
dYV61HQ.jpg
nyueQAg.jpg
QKo2H2d.jpg
gimgcut.jpg
QURzqG8.jpg
e4yeoIb.jpg
NPQ4e6Q.jpg
qCM5KUP.jpg
mhuG1tI.jpg
uKfCDJk.jpg

Comments

• deathshrouddeathshroud Join Date: 2010-04-10 Member: 71291Members
    hopefully it gets played on the spark crafter collective tonight
  • FroztyFrozty SWEDEN Join Date: 2012-01-22 Member: 141596Members
    A jungle compound!
    Love it!
  • MephillesMephilles Germany Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186634Members, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    since you are a CDT member, will this map be officially released one day?
  • ZavaroZavaro Tucson, Arizona Join Date: 2005-02-14 Member: 41174Members, Super Administrators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    Mephilles wrote: »
    since you are a CDT member, will this map be officially released one day?

I honestly can't say, but quality is the CDT's number one concern. This map has the same chance as any other. As for other things in the pipe, I'd suggest checking out our Trello, which we update daily.
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    The map is too dim. It's difficult for marines at the moment... but also it's difficult for aliens because there isn't much cover on the map.

The heatsink area is very marine-friendly, and on the round we played, this was right next to the alien's starting hive.

Tough to come to any conclusions after just one round though.

Still, the lighting needs a bit of work. Right now, there's just no contrast and it's too dim. Should be more contrast, with more light. Perfectly acceptable to have some dim areas, but marines shouldn't HAVE to be using the flashlight everywhere.
  • FlaterectomyFlaterectomy Netherlandistan Join Date: 2005-02-03 Member: 39643Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited December 2014
    Big hole in this vent, you can quite easily exit the map through it:
    JmsqweL.jpg
    suskC0p.jpg

Ladder in Muck Pump doesn't have a ladder entity, marines get stuck.
    gL6KgxB.jpg

EDIT: The above is a reminder of my great shame. This is not the map I'm looking for.
    edited December 2014
    thats the wrong map flaterectomy
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited December 2014
    I really like how this map is looking. It's simple, there's not a bit of excess space, the areas are appropriately sized for the most part - corridors on the south side can feel a little cramped though.

It's a small map; as marine I found it easy to go for a quick jog and kill some RTs.

We pounded the aliens into the western tech point (after much struggling!) when we played but looking at the map there's a vent out behind where we set up so I don't think that's a map balance issue.

Also what was mentioned above - it's waaayyy too dark, in general.

Overall though this looks really promising! The areas are varied and recognisable; heatsink/the alley above it, and the walkway out of the western techpoint I thought looked particularly cool :)
  • FlaterectomyFlaterectomy Netherlandistan Join Date: 2005-02-03 Member: 39643Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited December 2014
    thats the wrong map flaterectomy
    Why yes, yes it is. :|
  • radionautradionaut california Join Date: 2013-01-22 Member: 181192Members, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Gold
    edited December 2014
    i just did a few laps around Nyx, and made some short video clips/screen shots of things you might want to address (mostly minor, cosmetic stuff that you are probably already aware of).

here's a dropbox link to the individual files (253 MB):
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ds8rdvy806o605l/AAAyCWjrGDXmlDk7GJqiWCera?lst

i really believe this map has potential. by the way, the overhead pipe system in Thermal is a gorge's dream - heh heh.
    keep going with it, great work so far.
  • malxmalx Join Date: 2014-12-02 Member: 199917Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester
    Radio, thank you for pointing out those issues (there were a few new ones to me), I truly appreciate it.

I have done a significant lighting overhaul- much of the lighting was attenuated when textures were added.
  • malxmalx Join Date: 2014-12-02 Member: 199917Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester
    edited December 2014
    60b13f42166d845153b9598f9c3063.png

The lower end of the hazard decal signifies the deathtrigger.

*This technique is employed for every location with a deathtrigger
  • zenefzenef Join Date: 2013-03-07 Member: 183762Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited December 2014
    Played a few rounds on this today and it instantly became one of my favorite custom maps. Very well done version of ns_nothing to ns2. Rooms on the alien side are just the right size not too big like on most new custom maps.

Only place i found too easy to attack as marine was the right side natural resnode on the bottom techpoint. Area around that resnode felt too open.
  • ZavaroZavaro Tucson, Arizona Join Date: 2005-02-14 Member: 41174Members, Super Administrators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    There seems to be an issue where certain structures become unpowered when built. We're looking into this now. My guess is that it has to do with locations, probably not stretched to as large as they should be.
    either locations not stretched as large as they should be or small gaps between location entities, if something is built on that gap line it wont be powered
    They aren't properly beneath the floor is my guess. They are horizontally sound, just not vertically.
    location entities are all fixed/adjusted
    edited January 2015
    Astrolabe has been completely redone for more interesting scenarios and to help balance the room. Many other areas have been changed as well, including resource towers in the southeast and Heatsink. The map is also now a hell of a lot brighter! Screenshots have been updated!

The map is also now being played on the awesome Tactical Freedom server! (Thanks, Shameless)

Any constructive criticism would be lovely!
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Now, after only seven hours of uploading:

Have fun!
    Thanks, man! Once I finish it, I'll send some comments Malpractice's way. I hope you enjoyed the map in it's current form. It drastically changes every week with new ideas.
    edited January 2015
    its a cool map but a few of the scc complained about the amount of connection in the centre of the map, its abit much and you can pretty much go anywhere any time. Might be worth considering trying to reduce it a little.
  • troopstroops Wales Join Date: 2003-02-17 Member: 13664Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    We had a big game on it sunday about 40 minutes - Very give and take in a lot of areas, enjoyable but stressful :P Vet and me recorded(thanks for uploading vet) I'll try and get my alien commanding side of it uploaded tomorrow.

As brainfood said, we commented a lot on the amount of connections/areas needed to defend i had a lot of drifters out there at one point(you'll see in the video) But overall it seemed pretty good, you can tell where some areas need to be tweaked though. We'll try and get some more games on it and i'll write up some more details for the areas i feel are a little problematic.
    I really really appreciate it, troops. Enclave was just completely redesigned as an area, so changes are definitely happening to make this map more enjoyable. I believe that there may be a high level mix in the works on it, which may be able to hammer out some other areas which we have not yet touched on, but progress is being made!
  • MajorTicoMajorTico New York Join Date: 2013-11-02 Member: 188942Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Too dark, hallways too long, hallways too short. And its too bright.
    Wow, Daan! This stuff is totally awesome! Thank you so much for the feedback. We'll definitely talk about it, though I know that's one thing Malpractice insists on to make the map unique. I also noticed nobody goes in the upper left part of the map. This is readily apparent in Cave on Mineshaft as well. Seeing as a designer would want a player to explore the entirety of the map, I will definitely suggest some changes.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Had a fun game on this during SCC PT! Enjoyed it. Most of the mappers suggested decreasing the (complexity/number of) routes through the center.

Ran the SCC Profiler on ns2_nyx, no glaring balance issues, but you might be able to get something out of it: imgur gallery. (generated distance based metrics, here's and old profile of ns_summit for reference).

Just a quick guide for some of the graphs since we haven't posted these publicly before:

Team presence
    Used for spotting dead zones and battlefronts.
    Shows the distance of each team to each point in the map. Gradients 0 to 27 seconds of travel (aliens red to yellow, marines blue to green). Accounts for alien only routes, doesn't account for elevation or flow control.
    OZaSV3Y.png

RT head start
    Used for balancing naturals and spot overall team bias.
    Shows which team is closest to each RT, and by how many seconds. Depends on spawns,
    uH1lnfs.png

That's amazing. For how long have you been creating these?
  • troopstroops Wales Join Date: 2003-02-17 Member: 13664Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    Ok here's my side of the game on sunday - It's me in commander mode not map testing mode so you can tell the areas i just don't like as i'll say it. (Quick upload not to SCC channel as i didn't have a lot of time to edit it - so it's just gameplay)

SCC plays NYX alien commander
    Enclave was changed significantly in the previous update, now Green Path and Feeding have been entirely redone to not only offer more interesting combat (and retreat paths) but also to bolster the defenses of the alien natural RT.
  • MauvaisVitrierMauvaisVitrier France Join Date: 2014-04-10 Member: 195291Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond
    Too many lanes to cover for so few marines. The main issue to me is the central part of the map, over connectivity killed our economy. Since there are two lanes in the middle of the map, aliens by-passed marines way too easily. Connectivity around Resonance was the worst in my opinion, I had aliens literaly coming from every direction. I didn't get to see much of the map since I was busy holding the south lane. overall, I liked it, Nyx has potential, but the balance is off for now. You told us it wasn't the most up to date version we played tonight, but there is my opinion.

I have nothing to say about Tech points, or RT locations, they seemed okay to me. There were a shit ton of check corners to do to go from one RT to the next one, lots of places to hide. Which is kind of cool. However, I found the vents maybe too numerous, or too complex (as of now) in the south part of the map. Since you knew the map, your dodgy lerk was a pain to track.

But I need to play more of it to get an appropriate opinion. Right now it's just random thoughts, pick up what you need from it, it might not really be relevant right now.