Update 8 Schedule - Subnautica

SystemSystem Join Date: 2013-01-29 Member: 182599Members, Super Administrators, Reinforced - Diamond

imageUpdate 8 Schedule - Subnautica

Predicting the future is very difficult: We leave that job to the Future Perfect development team. It is possible, however, to make a decent call about when then next Subnautica...

Read the full story here

Comments

• HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Bump to open comment thread!
  • DeadwoodDeadwood Join Date: 2015-01-01 Member: 200528Members
    edited January 2015
    Registered to say I find it bizarre and disgraceful that you released early access without a save feature in the first place. Early access needs the bar raised, not lowered.
    It was the latest in a series of very strange decisions made by UWE. See NS2: Combat release/etc.

The thought process behind releasing without something like that absolutely boggles my mind.
  • eXaeXa Join Date: 2007-09-22 Member: 62400Members
    edited January 2015
    Could we get new resolutions ? 2560x1080 for example ? :)
    Anyway I'm impatient to have save/load !

@Deadwood‌ At the moment the game is not that big so you can start over and have most of the equipments in a few minutes.
  • SteveRockSteveRock Join Date: 2012-10-01 Member: 161215Members, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer
    Deadwood wrote: »
    Registered to say I find it bizarre and disgraceful that you released early access without a save feature in the first place. Early access needs the bar raised, not lowered.
    It was the latest in a series of very strange decisions made by UWE. See NS2: Combat release/etc.

The thought process behind releasing without something like that absolutely boggles my mind.

We respectfully disagree. When you buy early access, you are buying a partially complete game. That is absolutely what we state on all our press. It sounds like you do not want that - so please, DO NOT BUY OUR GAME. It's not for you - yet.
  • DeadwoodDeadwood Join Date: 2015-01-01 Member: 200528Members
    edited January 2015
    SteveRock wrote: »
    Deadwood wrote: »

We respectfully disagree. When you buy early access, you are buying a partially complete game. That is absolutely what we state on all our press. It sounds like you do not want that - so please, DO NOT BUY OUR GAME. It's not for you - yet.

We can agree to disagree and that is fine. I'm well aware of what early access is, but some things should be a given... for any kind of public release. Also, wouldn't releasing without a save feature immediately make people think there is very little to do in the games current state? Perhaps there really just isn't that much content, which goes back to my other point about the bar for early access being set lower than is reasonable.

Of course it's not just a UWE problem, there are plenty of others out there releasing absolute trash into early access. I just expected better.
  • SeldkamSeldkam Join Date: 2014-01-01 Member: 191213Members
    ^The above statement is rather extreme, IMO. Early access is so subjective a topic of discussion it's hard for disagreeing points to find any traction whatsoever. I understand you want "basic features" in a game-- however, as stated above, you can get everything in the game at the 7 minute mark, or less, without cheating, and frankly I'd rather have an Early Access like this, because:

Though as you say the features in the game right now are few and far between, at least we have a lot of transparency and the updates come practically every day if you use the experimental branch. Just sayin. I think we just value different things in how we look at games, that's all-- but IMO, the game was totally worth the buy-- so far... and UWE, don't be the next ubisoft and think that just cause you have a bunch of diehard fans, we won't turn on you if you treat us wrong. Haven't but any Ubisoft game except FC4, and I doubt I"ll be buying the next games they spit out at that.
  • LyeLye Washington Join Date: 2014-12-23 Member: 200238Members
    eXa wrote: »
    Could we get new resolutions ? 2560x1080 for example ? :)
    Anyway I'm impatient to have save/load !

@Deadwood‌ At the moment the game is not that big so you can start over and have most of the equipments in a few minutes.

My concern is that, even though it shows 3840x2160 as being an option in the pre-game configuration menu, as soon as you start the game, it goes back to 1080p.
    Maybe that's just me though, as I'm not actually using a 4k monitor, I just downscale. However, normally every game that supports 4k can run on 1080p screens provided you downscale the resolution, but just Subnautica doesn't. I thought it was running in 4k for a little while, but whenever any game does run at the supersampled resolution, it messes up the scaling of everything else, like steam overlay.
    Boom! 4k baby!
    SDkJQWR.png

Aww...
    fxqYC3R.png
  • JonofwrathJonofwrath Exeter, Uk Join Date: 2013-11-07 Member: 189145Members
    edited January 2015
    I see what you did there. Good job!

One thing re the experimental release, I'm getting crashes when I interact with the life-pods inventory.

Also the Seaglide glitches out when you first leave the pod - I've found that dropping it then picking it up again fixes it.
    @Jon have you tried using the f8 function to report those bugs? I think that is the best way to do so
    Sorry for double post, but needed to bump this a bit as this is a question:

have we gotten the official Update 8 yet? I can see a lot of different promised additions (though some don't work quite as planned :P ) though some of them don't seem to be fully implemented? I honestly just can't tell O_o
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    Seldkam wrote: »
    Sorry for double post, but needed to bump this a bit as this is a question:

have we gotten the official Update 8 yet? I can see a lot of different promised additions (though some don't work quite as planned :P ) though some of them don't seem to be fully implemented? I honestly just can't tell O_o
    No, official update is not out yet, that is scheduled for early Friday. But if you are in experimental then you will be getting a lot of that stuff as its being added, along with all the bugs and half implemented states of stuff, since we are still actively working on getting the update in a shippable state.
    I am in experimental, is that why I can't find aNY stasis rifle fragments or mesmers?
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Seldkam wrote: »
    I am in experimental, is that why I can't find aNY stasis rifle fragments or mesmers?

More are being added, but they are there....just rare at the moment!
    I see, thought as much

Thanks for the reply
  • Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
    I am looking forward to see what the current generator can do. If it is deflected by terrain, it would be very interesting to see currents go through underground cave systems.