Sea Creatures and Behavior Ideas Dump!~ let's help the Dev to come up KrayKray sea creatures!~

2»

Comments

• Silk_SkSilk_Sk United States Join Date: 2015-01-03 Member: 200602Members
    edited January 2015
    Well, I will contribute as I can even though I am holding off on buying this game until later. I did have one idea based somewhat around the gasopod. It involves two other kinds of fish and a way for the player to use them. This may be complicated to explain but hopefully I can get the general idea across.

I'll just make up names to keep them straight. One fish is somewhat large but mostly defenseless, and not dangerous to the player or other fish (by itself, anyway). I'll refer to it as a "Wave Host" for reasons I will soon explain. It relies on another fish for defense, which I will call "Poop-darts" because they eat that gasopod crap. They are very small (too small to scare gasopods) and travel in swarms. They do not bite and are not carnivorous, but are incredibly quick and have razor sharp fins, hence they are very dangerous when defending their wave host.

The wave host's unique ability is to send out a long-range acoustic wave that triggers a gasopod blast. The poop-darts swarm around the gasopod to feed on the gas, then return to the wave host. Since the wave host is their source of food, they will damage anything that comes near it unless they are feeding. If their wave host is attacked while they are feeding, it will send out another acoustic wave to call them back. If the wave host is killed, they will disperse and probably be preyed on.

What does this mean for the player? Well, if you manage to catch a few lone poop-darts, you could harvest their fins for crafting an item. You would also need the sonic organ from a wave host corpse. You would have to be very lucky to get both of these, since you'd have to be nearby while a wave host is killed, which can only happen if the poop-darts are feeding.

The fins plus the sonic organ could be used to craft an advanced sonic item which would send out an identical acoustic wave that makes the poop-darts think you are their wave host and defend you. Shooting an acoustic wave at a wave host would fool the poop-darts into abandoning it and defending you for a time. Shooting it at a gasopod and feeding the poop-darts will make them stick around longer. Shooting it at any other creature will make the poop-darts attack it for you.

What do you guys think?
  • SeldkamSeldkam Join Date: 2014-01-01 Member: 191213Members
    ^THAT thing is awesome but I didn't remember it even existed :P
  • Silk_SkSilk_Sk United States Join Date: 2015-01-03 Member: 200602Members
    Seldkam wrote: »
    ^THAT thing is awesome but I didn't remember it even existed :P

It doesn't exist. It's an idea I have for some creatures. The only thing in that post that is already in the game is the gasopod.
    Ah my bad Silk, I posted just after you accidentally so I actually meant to post after the Mantis Shrimp, I'm pretty sure he exists... right?
  • AerofluxAeroflux GA, USA Join Date: 2014-12-22 Member: 200206Members
  • ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    yes i just posted about the mantis shrimp, do want!!
    Though in all honesty, the rock puncher / crusher already is quite similar to the MS :P
  • mpcarolinmpcarolin United States Join Date: 2015-01-07 Member: 200674Members
    edited January 2015
    I think the game would benefit from marine life akin to mammalian sea creatures on earth, which breath air.

Here are some ideas:

1. Creatures that feed-in the water, but sleep, breathe, and breed in the air by filling an inflatable sack with some lighter-than-air gas. It certainly would give the player some more interesting sights above the waves.

2. Creatures which live predominately or exclusively in submersed air-filled caves. Imagine diving 80 meters down and through an underwater cave that eventually curves back vertically. You break through the water into an air-filled cave that you can then explore by walking, at your own risk, of course. I could see an entire micro-ecosystem here, and perhaps a large crustacean that "fishes" for its prey by quickly pulling them into these caves.

3. Large creatures similar to whales but which grow small reefs on their backs, functioning as massive, mobile ecosystems over the deeper, sandy stretches of the ocean. It would surface for air occasionally, like whales, at which time birds or creatures from #1 would dive in to feed on the marine life now helplessly out of water. The player could also ride these, and when these creatures try to feed on large schools of fish, the player would have to swim away or get swallowed by this otherwise-harmless animal. To top it off, the player could swim alongside this animal for a long time, continually picking up resources, which could help extend longer trips into the sea.

• DeepoDeepo lisbon portugal Join Date: 2014-12-20 Member: 200150Members
    i want to see the creature that sent out the "mysterious energy pulse" that brought down the explorer ship ... i would like to have a word with that critter.
  • SandorasSandoras Norway Join Date: 2015-01-09 Member: 200724Members
    After seeing this post the first thing that came to mind mind was a creature that propells itself up/down and has a horn like a narwhal at the bottom. It can propell itself down in a stunningly fast matter and kill prey. i guess you could maybe imagine the fins being like a jellyfish but much stronger and not made out of "jelly"
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    Seldkam wrote: »
    Though in all honesty, the rock puncher / crusher already is quite similar to the MS :P
    Correct. The Rock Puncher is the closest thing to a Mantis Shrimp that we are going to have in the game, and the design was based around MS.
    mpcarolin wrote: »
    3. Large creatures similar to whales but which grow small reefs on their backs, functioning as massive, mobile ecosystems over the deeper, sandy stretches of the ocean. It would surface for air occasionally, like whales, at which time birds or creatures from #1 would dive in to feed on the marine life now helplessly out of water. The player could also ride these, and when these creatures try to feed on large schools of fish, the player would have to swim away or get swallowed by this otherwise-harmless animal. To top it off, the player could swim alongside this animal for a long time, continually picking up resources, which could help extend longer trips into the sea.
    This is pretty much exactly what was, and is, planned for the giant Reefback creature that is currently in the game. There is supposed to be small reefs / grass/ various plant life on their backs as you can see in the original concept https://www.dropbox.com/s/fwu2uejob605d8r/CrustyReefBack_adjusted02_LessDetail.jpg?dl=0 . We just haven't gotten that far in the implementation for it yet.
    @Squeal_Like_A_Pig‌ Would the reefback have unique creatures and plants on its back considering the ever changing environment it provides? Just curious :D
  • BandersaurBandersaur Australia Join Date: 2014-10-25 Member: 199120Members
    Norton wrote: »
    Maybe some creature that has camouflage like an octopus/cuddlefish?

Cuddlefish.

Cuddlefish

CUDDLEFISH

Please, UW. give us a cuddlefish. It's too adorable to ignore.
    Isn't it a cuttlefish? O_o

Though they are actually very cute gotta say ;)
    The real world creature is a cuttlefish.

The adorable subnautica creature that hasn't been made yet is a cuddlefish, and I will call him squishy.
  • TitanosaurTitanosaur United States Join Date: 2015-01-15 Member: 200848Members
    edited January 2015
    I would love to see Dolphin like creatures that are just playful, Deep sea multifinned fish, alien mantas, eel like creatures, and whale like creatures similar to this
    Aquatic_Alien_Sketch_by_Abiogenisis.jpg
    creature_design_sheet_by_olofmoleman-d536w7f.jpg
    wingsquids_by_osmatar-d4ktclq.jpg
    Cygnian_MarshPhantom_by_DiabloItaliano.jpg
    cetacean_by_kenbarthelmey-d4lhjj9.jpg
  • Sir_zinoSir_zino England Join Date: 2014-10-09 Member: 198901Members, Reinforced - Supporter

Aren't unknown worlds still looking for a name for this fella?

cutefish2.jpg

If so the cuddlefish has been found!
  • MaitlandMaitland West Australia Join Date: 2014-12-25 Member: 200270Members
    edited January 2015
    A deep sea Basket Star (Relative of the Starfish), found off the coast of Singapore.
  • BirdskullBirdskull USA Join Date: 2015-01-16 Member: 200864Members
    I think this is a great idea, but will our ideas even be used? ':l
    Sir_zino wrote: »

Aren't unknown worlds still looking for a name for this fella?

cutefish2.jpg

If so the cuddlefish has been found!

I thought they named it the Qute fish or something. It'd be a perfect cuddlefish though.
    What about a medium sized creature herbivore that crawls around on the ocean floor but doesn't actually swim? Somewhat like a hippo? I'll comment a picture of what im talking about later
    edited January 2015
    I drew some creatures, I would like to see what you think of them.

1 - Draconis Horridus
    A thirty foot long predator with a voracious appetite. This beast is slow so it cannot catch most prey items, but it's armoured head keeps it safe from the acidic waste produced by the Gasopods.

EDIT- Pictures wont upload from my phone so I'll do it via my computer when I get home on Monday.
    Anything that has draco in its name should definitely have some similarities to dragons :P
  • Pitiboy404Pitiboy404 Norge Join Date: 2015-02-03 Member: 201188Members
    edited February 2015
    mpcarolin wrote: »
    This is pretty much exactly what was, and is, planned for the giant Reefback creature that is currently in the game. There is supposed to be small reefs / grass/ various plant life on their backs as you can see in the original concept https://www.dropbox.com/s/fwu2uejob605d8r/CrustyReefBack_adjusted02_LessDetail.jpg?dl=0 . We just haven't gotten that far in the implementation for it yet.

Wouldn't you have to make the Reefback creature at least twice the size or more than it is now if that's the case? I mean, it's really big now, but I don't exactly feel like it's big enough for the ecosystem-idea. Just my thoughts on it as it stands at the moment.
    Oh, and will you be working on the animations on it any further? I'm really eager to know this. [-O<
  • Pitiboy404Pitiboy404 Norge Join Date: 2015-02-03 Member: 201188Members
    Titanosaur wrote: »
    I would love to see Dolphin like creatures that are just playful, Deep sea multifinned fish, alien mantas, eel like creatures, and whale like creatures similar to this
    cetacean_by_kenbarthelmey-d4lhjj9.jpg

Holy mother of Cthulhu... ME WANT!
  • FireclawFireclaw oopboop Join Date: 2015-02-06 Member: 201235Members
    edited February 2015
    I haven't bought this game yet o3o Plan to later on once it's developed a bit more, I do hope some of these creatures are at least looked at, because they're awesome.

Now allow me to float some of my idears o3o don't laugh, I made these in spore for a story series I'm actually working on that is very similar to the plot of subnautica xD. (actually thought of it before I knew subnautica was a thing o3o

Most of mine would probably work better as none-interactables, like the little schools of what look like baby bumerang fish or whatever they're called o3o.

Feel free to come up with different names or even behaviors if you want, but don't giggle T3T

2vs13pc.png
    "Vucuum cleaner fish" or "Vacuum fish"

Length: 4ft

"This creature swims along the bottom, using it's downward facing mouth to suck up sand and anything edible buried beneath, the sand is then expelled through two gill openings on either side of it's head. "

This could be a bottom feeder obviously, that you find deeper down.

2n6stvn.png
    "Elephant fish"
    Length: 3ft

"A Variant of the Vacuum cleaner fish, this species is an active predator, it lies in wait at the bottom them strikes at any passing prey with it's trunk-like appendage, the hapless victim is then passed to the mouth on the underside.

2gtchft.png
    "Beakfish"

These are my favorites that I made for some reason xD. Again, these could add to the environment, maybe found in shallow water.

ETA: that I realize I made it sound like the ideas were planning to be used xD, not the case as I don't expect the devs to even think about something like that, though they might o3o.

I have a bunch more sea creatures that I made, remember these are for a story I'm writing lol
    Don't be so bashful man((or girl)), these are pretty interesting

Id say the only problem is that they don't look very aquadynamic in the way the skeletal structure was made, maybe the elephant fish could have a tail to help it through the water or thin it out a bit clip some fat
  • FireclawFireclaw oopboop Join Date: 2015-02-06 Member: 201235Members
    edited February 2015
    So, I decided you were right, the more I looked at it I didn't like it anyway.

I redid the elephant fish, made it more streamline and made it more fishlike. Apposed to the vacuum cleaner fish which is supposed to be a fat, slow moving scum sucker basically, the elephant fish (in my story/ research log) is an active predator.
    59zg2w.png

I also whipped these up, someone mentioned wanting to see creatures that had to come to the surface to breathe, so I was thinking "How about some plesiosaurs?"(sp?)

Deep water "Plesiodon"
    deyc6t.png

Shallow water "Plesiodon"
    (Same thing, just colored different lol)
    122k9zq.png

Annnd this.

The "Terror fish" Idea behind this guy is that he has an expanable mouth, and is about the size of an orca o3o
    3496w43.png

I hope I'm actually allowed to do this xD. This *are* ideas that I think would be cool as either enviroment enhancing mobs(? Minecraft talk xD) or interactable/hostile ones o3o. But are also being out into a story that I'm writing as I've probably stated too many times =O

The issue with making things on spore is that you are very limited to what you can do, unless you shell out the money to buy all the different parts packs, which I don't even play spore, I just make critters xD .
    If the devs do see this, the Pleisodon or Terror fish would be great to say in a modified rendition IMO
  • SandorasSandoras Norway Join Date: 2015-01-09 Member: 200724Members
    Fireclaw wrote: »
    2vs13pc.png
    "Vucuum cleaner fish" or "Vacuum fish"
    Reminds me a little bit of the real life elephant fish.
    Look it up!