Imho fragments for higher tech doesn't make much sense

DoniDoni Germany Join Date: 2015-01-06 Member: 200665Members
I think it would be a better solution if we had to repair the life-pod and upgrade the fabricator for higher tech instead of accidentally finding a fragment of a human technology somewhere in the ocean of an alien planet.

Comments

• SeldkamSeldkam Join Date: 2014-01-01 Member: 191213Members
    I agree, this really boils the whole game down to luck imo
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    Doni wrote: »
    I think it would be a better solution if we had to repair the life-pod and upgrade the fabricator for higher tech instead of accidentally finding a fragment of a human technology somewhere in the ocean of an alien planet.
    Well, the tech fragments are meant to have come from the giant crashed ship, not something that was on the alien planet before you got there. We have some crate models that will be going in soon, so likely the tech fragments will go in those, sort of like treasure chests in other games.

The point is to add more reasons for the player to get out and explore the whole world, and finding a tech fragment for something really cool is a little more exciting then only finding resources.

I'm sure all the variables will be tuned over development to insure that players stand a good chance of finding all the tech fragments they need, if they are really out exploring, and if it still seems like people are having a hard time finding them, we can always add some tech that will help you locate them in the world more easily.
    I think it is rather strange for a fragment to somehow be in the far back of a cave system.... That's my issue, they're found more or less randomly

I went into many many caves and found no fragments, maybe 6 caves before I found one at the end... And it wasn't even a large cave= it was because I was cheating; the amount of sandsharks and plant spike throwers wouldve killed anyone before they got to the end
  • Nuki255Nuki255 US Join Date: 2015-01-06 Member: 200658Members
    Seldkam wrote: »
    I think it is rather strange for a fragment to somehow be in the far back of a cave system.... That's my issue, they're found more or less randomly

I went into many many caves and found no fragments, maybe 6 caves before I found one at the end... And it wasn't even a large cave= it was because I was cheating; the amount of sandsharks and plant spike throwers wouldve killed anyone before they got to the end

This will make more sense if/when they develop a water current system.
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I my be crazy, but as long as these "crates" loction's are random, I'm all for it.

One of the concerns I had with a handcrafted wrold (as opposed to randomly generated) would be lack of replayability.

If the tech locations are different every time, a player still has to explore, and the excitement remains the same!
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    Seldkam wrote: »
    Yes, generally I think we'll be avoiding putting fragments deep inside caves, since we agree that it doesn't make much sense. The fragments went into the build kind of last minute and we didn't get much chance to refine placement yet.
    As another interesting tidbit, or redeeming factor, whichever way you think of it, I found many stasis rifle fragments hidden in the Kelp Forest's many shrubberies! lol
  • crimsontwilightcrimsontwilight England Join Date: 2014-03-30 Member: 195051Members
    edited January 2015
    It still seems odd to me that (and kind of lazy, but obviously it has just put in at the last minute for the update, as you said), out of all the random junk on the spacecraft, fragments of specific items got dumped everywhere. Instead of specifying what they are bits of, the could just be general components that happen to be part of the crafting recipe for a particular item. For instance, the stasis gun fragment could be re-named high energy power cell (I'm sure somebody can think of a better name, but you can see my idea).
    It still seems odd to me that (and kind of lazy, but obviously it has just put in at the last minute for the update, as you said), out of all the random junk on the spacecraft, fragments of specific items got dumped everywhere. Instead of specifying what they are bits of, the could just be general components that happen to be part of the crafting recipe for a particular item. For instance, the stasis gun fragment could be re-named high energy power cell (I'm sure somebody can think of a better name, but you can see my idea).

I like this idea a lot, fragment is a very confusing name
  • DoniDoni Germany Join Date: 2015-01-06 Member: 200665Members
    Yeah, good idea.
    And put them in some debris of the Aurora where we have to extract them first before we can use them