File Name Case Sensitivity - Future Perfect

SystemSystem Join Date: 2013-01-29 Member: 182599Members, Super Administrators, Reinforced - Diamond

File Name Case Sensitivity - Future Perfect

One of the annoyances when writing software for multiple platforms is the differences in case sensitivity of the files systems. If you’re not familiar with the term “case sensitive” it simply means that the capitalization in the file name is important. On Windows the capitalization is not important, but Linux and Mac are both case …

Read the full story here

Comments

• ComproxComprox *chortle* Canada Join Date: 2002-01-23 Member: 7Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    bool StartCommentThread = true;
    I am a good coder.
  • GaidinTSGaidinTS Join Date: 2003-08-10 Member: 19319Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Does this mean there is a Linux version in the works?
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    edited January 2015
    Comprox wrote: »
    bool StartCommentThread = true;
    I am a good coder.

Surely that should have been a local variable, as it is only relevant to this thread??? :D
  • MaxMax Technical Director, Unknown Worlds Entertainment Join Date: 2002-03-15 Member: 318Super Administrators, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    GaidinTS wrote: »
    Does this mean there is a Linux version in the works?
    Since we started from the NS2 codebase, the Linux capability is in there. We're not actively maintaining the Linux bits right now (so they're probably a bit broken), but I can see us getting that back in working shape at some point in the future.
  • Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
    Why not enable the case check in dev mode only? That should catch most of the problems before they are published while completely removing the performance hit in production. Sure, someone could always go in after the fact and change stuff, but that isn't something that should really matter.
  • MaxMax Technical Director, Unknown Worlds Entertainment Join Date: 2002-03-15 Member: 318Super Administrators, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    Racer1 wrote: »
    Why not enable the case check in dev mode only? That should catch most of the problems before they are published while completely removing the performance hit in production. Sure, someone could always go in after the fact and change stuff, but that isn't something that should really matter.
    This will only need to be performed for "loose" files that aren't packed into an archive, so the cost will only apply to files when you're working on them in a development mode (although due to the nature of Future Perfect, end users will be doing a lot of development themselves). That said, I'm pretty happy with the performance of the final version and I don't think it will be a problem.

• BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    edited January 2015
    Max wrote: »
    ...not actively maintaining the Linux bits right now (so they're probably a bit broken), but...

You're not sneaking that one by ole' Beige...