Saddened with lack of MP at SN core

La ChupacabraLa Chupacabra Join Date: 2008-02-25 Member: 63729Members
tl;dr
SN will kick ass either way, but hoped MP will be the focus

Actual post:

When I first seen Subnautica and the flooding of the sub video I almost wet my pants on the thought of an awesome multiplayer game, given it comes from the creators of one of my favourite and the most intriguing multiplayer games I had the pleasure to play.

Because I was heavily primed by NS1 and NS2, my expectations were of course rather biased. The secretive nature of the game from the very start helped at brewing those sort of thoughts as well. I'll share some of it with you for the sake of sharing of how far hype can go :D

Things that came into my mind was something like randomly generated sea-bed levels (or partially pre-fabricated and symmetrical for both teams), because my oblivious mind thought that it's easier to pull off than in a typical MP map and I knew that exploration will be the main focus. I've imagined research trees and partially-automated scavenging like the recently explored gravsphere, at the core of the early and mid game. 'Partially-atomated' to leave the laborious stuff to the AI and leave your hands to plan exploration, use sonars to track the enemy and sea-monsters, place tags on them and places of interest to come back with subs and extractors. Investing in base and outpost defenses in the form of subs. Using sea-monsters of all shapes and sizes (parts of or mind-controlled) as weapons, which otherwise would be scarce and ineffective, and a range of subs for logistics, building and, of course, destroying enemy fortifications! Who would be the 'enemy'? Well, given the ship fell down from the sky by unknown means it could be a struggle of survivors of "soulless corporate terraformers"(TM) vs "suicidal greenpeace anarchist from space"(TM) that don't want the human kind to destroy another ecosystem or just separate surviving factions fighting for the scarce resources or limited 'get back home' pods on the mothership.

It kinda saddens me that it might end up purely SP and just 'maybe' a co-op - don't get me wrong, I can totally see how this can be turned into a great survival sandbox/oceancraft SP game. It's just a sad news for me on a personal level, since this world has so much potential that could potentially accommodate a MP spin-off.

Maybe someday?

Did anyone else thought this will end up as a MP game? Feel free to share your vision!

Comments

• SteveRockSteveRock Join Date: 2012-10-01 Member: 161215Members, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer
    No promises, but it is something we know people want, and we know it could be really cool. I would encourage you to follow the game on steam, or sign up for our mailing list, because if we add it, we will notify all avenues :)
  • LumpNLumpN Join Date: 2002-10-30 Member: 1725Members, Subnautica Developer
    It sounds like you were expecting some kind of NS2 underwater. Or at least some team based multiplayer fighting action. While I agree that what you imagined might be a good game I'm pretty sure that Subnautica is not that game. One of the most high level design goals of Subnautica is Subnautica captures the feeling of being a scientist stranded on an alien planet. Subnautica is about discovery, knowledge, exploration, experimentation. It is not about shooting each other. Subnautica will still kick ass.
  • LyeLye Washington Join Date: 2014-12-23 Member: 200238Members
    Honestly, I don't want another Natural Selection. That ship has sailed, and while it was a fantastic game, I'm glad the devs are trying something different, treading new waters. (lol)
    However, seeing as this game IS made on the unity engine, I could totally see this idea being feasible if modding support became a thing. I do mess around with game engines quite a bit, and if co-op multiplayer got implemented, making a VS gamemode using the building blocks already in place for the vanilla game wouldn't be that far-fetched.
    Of course, seeing as this game isn't combat oriented even in singleplayer, a lot of weapons would have to be designed and modeled, but I'm sure it could be done.

• Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    What is wrong with a multiplayer experience that sticks to the scientist/no guns basis behind the mod, and instead of fighting brings other competition based mechanics to the game.

I mean, when humans compete against each other, we don't always fight, sometimes we race, some times we do stupid things, like

What I am trying to say, is IF multi-player is implemented in Subnautica, I'd like them to think of ways that tie in with the concepts of the game, I wouldn't want to see players fighting underwater. I'd much rather guns weapons stayed out of the water.

(I am not saying make game's like the it's a knockout example, I am just saying their are other forms of competition.)
  • LyeLye Washington Join Date: 2014-12-23 Member: 200238Members
    Well the team is currently developing a game alongside Subnautica, that being Future Perfect. http://unknownworlds.com/futureperfect/
    I don't know too much about it other than from the videos I've watched, as I haven't bought the game, but it seems to be very much like your idea of competition in more unique manners rather than just pew pew, headshot.

What I was thinking as far as combat would go, however, is keeping it kinda exclusive to encounters between the teams at late game moments.
    Each team (lets say... teams of 6) would start from scratch on opposite sides of the crashlanded Aura, and during the beginning of the game, it would be about building up your resources, and starting a confirmation between each other would be detrimental if done at the wrong times. The matches would be quite long, like Dota 2, to allow for a gradual advancement throughout the course of the round.
    I could see the goal of the game being (seeing as you can build submarines with a few materials and a flick of your magic wand) you and your other five engineers would race to build a spaceship before the other team, and there's only enough of a few certain types of materials for only one ship, found in the deep sea, creating a sort of cat and mouse capture the flag aspect throughout it. You could possibly chose the location for the building bay, whether it be above the surface of the water (easier to place materials and build with) or underwater (Harder to build with, but harder for the enemy team to find it's location).
    And at the very end, looking up to the heavens and seeing the other team blast off into space, or if your team won, looking down upon the dark waterworld you escaped and knowing you sentenced another group of crashlanded survivors to their watery graves would be chilling, and by far one of the best ways I can think of to end a multiplayer match in any game. Honestly though, I don't know where I'm going with this, it's a cool idea though. It'd take time to implement something like this, but this is why we need a kickstarter for big ideas throughout the game. I'd back this so hard if ya know what I mean. ;)

• ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    From what I've seen with rust, unity seems to be sick for (non-competitive) multiplayer. While I wouldn't expect it at this games launch, if it came a year later or so I'm sure it'd be totally awesome. Don't starve recently started a multi-player beta which is quite cool. Surviving with friends is always fun
  • MisterYoonMisterYoon Join Date: 2012-08-18 Member: 155747Members
    Multiplayer which is simillar to Minecraft or Simcity would be nice. Especially like the sim city, where your friends can join your city and help or explore it. It would be also awesome if we can invite like ~10 players into 'my subnautica world' and let them explore/help things. Or a certain server with a certain Subnautica world where people can join and play like whatever they want.
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    Dont starve and kerbal space program both said they would never add multiplayer, but Dont Starve already released multiplayer and kerbal space program plans to. (both of them was due to MP mod success)

I'm sure we got nothing to worry about when it comes to SN.