[Linux] Can't play - Lua errors [workaround]

LuckiLucki Join Date: 2014-02-16 Member: 194083Members
edited January 2015 in Technical Support
What is the problem?
I can't play/host/join a game.
Instead the terminal/log keeps spamming lua errors. When I try to join a server, i get a message about verifing my files.

What I have already done: (in order)
  • I've checked the ns2_linux32 with ldd and resolved the few not found errors.
  • I've unsubscribed every workshop element.
  • I've deleted the workshop folder in ~/.config/Natural\ Selection\ 2/.
  • I've deleted the whole configuration folder: ~/.config/Natural\ Selection\ 2/.
  • I've tried the startoption LANG=en_US %command%, but then the game crashed before the menu.
  • I've uninstalled the game - At this point, there's nothing left related to NS2. - and installed it again.
  • I've verified the steam files. (100% passed)

System:
I'm on ArchLinux, so latest libs are available.
Gnome 3, GTX660, i5-2500k.

Anyone have an idea?

Comments

• tambretambre Estonia Join Date: 2014-08-24 Member: 198091Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited September 2014
    As I'm kinda interested by this one, any chance of getting someone (CDT?) to see what's wrong and possibly fix it or let people know if there's a workaround?
  • murraymurray Join Date: 2012-12-22 Member: 175880Members, NS2 Playtester, Pistachionauts
    I have talked with another dev about this problem. At the moment we have no idea what could cause this problem. And I don't know how to reproduce this problem.

You have the same problem? Can you post more informations about your system (hardware, distribution, driver, desktop,...)?
  • tambretambre Estonia Join Date: 2014-08-24 Member: 198091Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    murray wrote: »
    I have talked with another dev about this problem. At the moment we have no idea what could cause this problem. And I don't know how to reproduce this problem.

You have the same problem? Can you post more informations about your system (hardware, distribution, driver, desktop,...)?

No, I don't run Linux neither have the same problem. I was simply interested in what's wrong.
  • LuckiLucki Join Date: 2014-02-16 Member: 194083Members
    I've tried with an other window manager just to be sure gnome isn't involved.
    Same problem with fluxbox.
  • ViVnetViVnet Join Date: 2004-05-27 Member: 28947Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    About ldd not finding libraries: this is totally normal. You should be using the steam-runtime which provides them for you; they don't have to be installed system wide. Keep in mind that you would also want the 32-bit libraries of these if you were attempting to bypass the steam-runtime.

I can't read your log. Please use github or pastebin or something similar as my browser seems to think I should not trust that link.

Additionally, your video shows you trying to play the Training/Tutorial/Sandbox. I can definitely say that this does not work under Linux and you may have better luck trying to join a normal online game through the Server Browser.
  • develdevel Join Date: 2014-09-13 Member: 198444Members
    ViVnet wrote: »
    Additionally, your video shows you trying to play the Training/Tutorial/Sandbox. I can definitely say that this does not work under Linux and you may have better luck trying to join a normal online game through the Server Browser.

It works under Linux if you push hard enough.
  • Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
    Based on comments from other Linux users, ArchLinux has been a real pain to get working with NS2. Some have posted minor successes by running a specific kernel or Mesa. Take a look here or here. However, it looks like it is still completely unplayable even in the best circumstances.
    I can't read your log. […]
    I've changed the link to normal http.
    […]you may have better luck trying to join a normal online game through the Server Browser.
    I pressed quick match and get this message after a long loading time: "The game files does not match the server's. Try verifying your game cache in Steam or an update just came out."

Log:
    Build 269
    Arch x86_64
    Steam initialized
    Num displays: 1
    OpenGL 3.1.0 NVIDIA 343.22 initialized (NVIDIA Corporation GeForce GTX 660/PCIe/SSE2)
    GLSL version 1.40 NVIDIA via Cg compiler
    ARB_texture_storage extension present
    ARB_get_program_binary extension present
    Sound Device: Default Output Device stereo
    Record Device: Default Input Device
    Loading config://ConsoleBindings.json
    Loading config://FavoriteServers.json
    Loading config://HistoryServers.json
    Resampling uncompressed animations at 1/2 frame rate to conserve memory
    Main Menu Initialized at Version: 269
    Steam Id: 42528769
    Connecting to server 85.14.226.223:27015
    Downloading mods
    Queuing download of '[Shine] Pregame++'
    Queuing download of 'Shine Administration'
    Starting download of '[Shine] Pregame++'
    Starting download of 'Shine Administration'
    Queuing download of 'NS2+'
    Mod '[Shine] Pregame++' installed
    Starting download of 'NS2+'
    Mod 'Shine Administration' installed
    Mod 'NS2+' installed
    Finished downloading and installing mods
    Mounting mod from /home/lucki/.config/Natural Selection 2/Workshop/m101ab256_1410646372/
    Mounting mod from /home/lucki/.config/Natural Selection 2/Workshop/m706d242_1411410141/
    Mounting mod from /home/lucki/.config/Natural Selection 2/Workshop/m812f004_1413137035/
    [Elixer (Client)] Loading Utility Scripts v.1,80
    [Elixer (Client)] Using Utility Scripts v.1,80
    [270,466] Worker 12 : Error: Error in network variable syntax: 'by' expected in property ResourceTower for class armor
    [270,468] Worker 12 : Error: Error in network variable syntax: 'by' expected in property MAC for class armor
    [270,468] Worker 12 : Error: Error in network variable syntax: 'by' expected in property Mine for class armor
    [270,468] Worker 12 : Error: lua/PostLoadMod.lua:25: Base class 'ResourceTower' for 'Extractor' doesn't exist
    [Client] Script Error #1: lua/PostLoadMod.lua:25: Base class 'ResourceTower' for 'Extractor' doesn't exist
        Call stack:
        #1: SharedLinkClassToMapOriginal [C]:-1
        #2: lua/PostLoadMod.lua:25
            (for index) = 36
            (for limit) = 197
            (for step) = 1
            i = 36
            className = "Extractor"
            classInfo =  {mapName="extractor", networkVars= {isCorroded="boolean", isGhostStructure="boolean", nanoShielded="boolean", parasited="boolean", playIdleSound="boolean", powerSurge="boolean", powered="boolean", recycled="boolean", upgrade1="enum kTechId", upgrade2="enum kTechId", upgrade3="enum kTechId", upgrade4="enum kTechId", upgrade5="enum kTechId", upgrade6="enum kTechId", vortexed="boolean" } }
        #3: scriptLoad [C]:-1
        #4: Load lua/EventTester.lua:191
            fileName = "lua/PostLoadMod.lua"
            reload = nil
        #5: lua/Client.lua:1312
            startLoadingTime = 270,197620135
            currentLoadingTime = 270,197621116
            gOutlinePlayers = true
            toggleOutlineLastFrame = false
            timePlayed = nil
            kTimePlayedOptionsKey = "timePlayedSeconds"
            InitializeRenderCamera = function
            gTechTree = TechTree { }
            ExpireDebugText = function
            UpdateTrailCinematics = function
            lastTimeHelpReset = nil
            kResetHelpTimer = 900
            kHelpAutoResetEnabled = false
            UpdateHelpAutoReset = function
            UpdateWorldMessages = function
            UpdateDecals = function
            kDangerCheckEndDistance = 25
            kDangerCheckStartDistance = 15
            kDangerHealthEndAmount = 0,6
            kDangerHealthStartAmount = 0,5
            lastDangerCheckTime = 0
            dangerEnabled = false
            dangerOrigin = nil
            UpdateDangerEffects = function
            optionsSent = false
            CheckRules = function
            OnMapPostLoad = function
            UpdateFogAreaModifiers = function
            gShowDebugTrace = false
            kDebugTraceGUISize = cdata
            UpdateDebugTrace = function
            OnUpdateRender = function
            OnClientConne
    [270,470] Worker 12 : Error: Client class hierarchy for resourcetower does not match servwarning: The VAD has been replaced by a hack pending a complete rewrite
    Generating new string page texture 357: 256x256, total string texture memory is 4,31 MB
    warning: The VAD has been replaced by a hack pending a complete rewrite

Racer1 wrote: »
    Based on comments from other Linux users, ArchLinux has been a real pain to get working with NS2.
    That's really sad. Over a year ago, there was a free weekend with NS2, where i bought it. It worked perfectly. Steam says, i've played 80 hours in this game - all on this linux. But then future updates made the game unplayable with crashes when shooting and other.
    About ldd not finding libraries: this is totally normal. You should be using the steam-runtime which provides them for you; they don't have to be installed system wide. Keep in mind that you would also want the 32-bit libraries of these if you were attempting to bypass the steam-runtime.
    Ok, I was confused, because some were "not found". How can I revert my changes in the easiest way?
  • buscherbuscher Join Date: 2014-12-30 Member: 200493Members
    Ping?

I am also STILL having this problem. It used the work fine (on the free weekend) but ever since it only causes problems/crashed and currently is stuck in
    "The game files does not match the server's. Try verifying your game cache in Steam or an update just came out."

Log:
    Build 272
    Linux
    Steam initialized
    Num displays: 1
    OpenGL 3.1.0 NVIDIA 346.22 initialized (NVIDIA Corporation GeForce GTX 750 Ti/PCIe/SSE2)
    Sound Device: default stereo
    Record Device: default
    Main Menu Initialized at Version: 272
    Steam Id: 3380667
    Saving config://HistoryServers.json
    Connecting to server 144.76.119.131:14000
    Downloading mods
    Finished downloading and installing mods
    Mounting mod from /home/buscher/.config/Natural Selection 2/Workshop/m706d242_1419077853/
    Mounting mod from /home/buscher/.config/Natural Selection 2/Workshop/maa8da06_1418939582/
    Mounting mod from /home/buscher/.config/Natural Selection 2/Workshop/mb7149f9_1414064711/
    Mounting mod from /home/buscher/.config/Natural Selection 2/Workshop/m812f004_1418931985/
    [187,087] Worker 06 : Error: shaders/GorgeTunnel.hlsl(64) : Syntax error: expected identifier near '0,000000'
    [187,097] Worker 06 : Error: shaders/GorgeTunnel.screenfx:24 : Parameter 'noiseMap' doesn't exist in shader
    [187,097] Worker 06 : Error: shaders/GorgeTunnel.screenfx:24 : Parameter 'baseTexture' doesn't exist in shader
    [187,097] Worker 06 : Error: shaders/GorgeTunnel.screenfx:24 : Parameter 'amount' doesn't exist in shader
    [Elixer (Client)] Loading Utility Scripts v.1,80
    [Elixer (Client)] Using Utility Scripts v.1,80
    [229,872] Worker 06 : Error: Error in network variable syntax: 'by' expected in property ResourceTower for class armor
    [229,874] Worker 06 : Error: Error in network variable syntax: 'by' expected in property MAC for class armor
    [229,874] Worker 06 : Error: Error in network variable syntax: 'by' expected in property Mine for class armor
    [229,874] Worker 06 : Error: lua/PostLoadMod.lua:25: Base class 'ResourceTower' for 'Extractor' doesn't exist
    [Client] Script Error #1: lua/PostLoadMod.lua:25: Base class 'ResourceTower' for 'Extractor' doesn't exist
    Call stack:
    (for index) = 36
    (for limit) = 199
    (for step) = 1
    i = 36
    className = "Extractor"
    classInfo = {mapName="extractor", networkVars= {isCorroded="boolean", isGhostStructure="boolean", nanoShielded="boolean", parasited="boolean", playIdleSound="boolean", powerSurge="boolean", powered="boolean", recycled="boolean", upgrade1="enum kTechId", upgrade2="enum kTechId", upgrade3="enum kTechId", upgrade4="enum kTechId", upgrade5="enum kTechId", upgrade6="enum kTechId", vortexed="boolean" } }
    reload = nil
    #5: lua/Client.lua:1333
    startLoadingTime = 229,558927493
    currentLoadingTime = 229,558928437
    gOutlinePlayers = true
    timePlayed = nil
    gTechTree = TechTree { }
    lastTimeHelpReset = nil
    kResetHelpTimer = 900
    UpdateDecals = function
    lastDangerCheckTime = 0
    dangerEnabled = false
    dangerOrigin = nil
    optionsSent = false
    CheckRules = function
    OnMapPostLoad = function
    gShowDebugTrace = fwarning: The VAD has been replaced by a hack pending a complete rewrite
    pid 28306 != 28245, skipping destruction (fork without exec?)
    alse
    OnClientConne
    [229,879] Worker 06 : Error: Client class hierarchy for resourcetower does not match server class
    [229,879] Worker 06 : Error: Failed to read Server class table on the Client
    [229,937] MainThread : Error: 1 memory leaks in 'ClientWorldMisc' (4804 bytes)
    [229,937] MainThread : Error: 1 memory leaks in 'ClientWorld' (4804 bytes)
    Main Menu Initialized at Version: 272
    Steam Id: 3380667
    [244,594] MainThread : Error: Attempted to load remote options from a file that does not exist.
    [244,981] MainThread : Error: 1 memory leaks in 'Client' (4804 bytes)
    [245,021] MainThread : Error: 1 memory leaks in 'Engine' (4804 bytes)
    CinematicsUpdate: exit
    ClientGame::UpdateWorld: exit
    CollectGarbage: exit

Gentoo
    glibc-2.20
    kernel 3.18.0
    nvidia-drivers-346.22

CPU: AMD FX-8370E
    GPU: Nvidia Geforce 750TI OC

if you need more Info just ask and I will try to provide as many as possible.
    And would be nice to know if someone is looking into it at all.

Hope I can soon play again, :)
    After reading through various problems related to Natural Selection 2 i've tried a really old workaround dated to september 2013:
    LC_ALL=en_US.UTF8 %command%

Strangely it worked. I thought this was fixed long time ago.
    But this isn't a solution, it's only a workaround.
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    Whats your actual local? To try to reproduce
    edited January 2015
    $ cat /etc/locale.conf 
    LANG=de_DE.UTF-8
    LC_NUMERIC=de_DE.UTF-8
    LC_TIME=de_DE.UTF-8
    LC_MONETARY=de_DE.UTF-8
    LC_PAPER=de_DE.UTF-8
    LC_MEASUREMENT=de_DE.UTF-8

The game also works only with
    LC_NUMERIC=en_US.UTF8 %command%

I'm having this after 272 -> 273 update.
  • elpasmo01elpasmo01 Spain Join Date: 2015-01-24 Member: 201027Members
    Same here.

I'm using Ubuntu 14.04

Log:
    [ 59,584] Worker 09 : Error: shaders/GorgeTunnel.screenfx:24 : Parameter 'noiseMap' doesn't exist in shader
    [ 59,584] Worker 09 : Error: shaders/GorgeTunnel.screenfx:24 : Parameter 'baseTexture' doesn't exist in shader
    [ 59,584] Worker 09 : Error: shaders/GorgeTunnel.screenfx:24 : Parameter 'amount' doesn't exist in shader
    Team Info HUD is installed. Use "teaminfohud" to configure.
    Loading config://TeamInfoHUD.json
    [ 65,489] Worker 09 : Error: Error in network variable syntax: 'by' expected in property ResourceTower for class armor
    [ 65,489] Worker 09 : Error: Error in network variable syntax: 'by' expected in property MAC for class armor
    [ 65,489] Worker 09 : Error: Error in network variable syntax: 'by' expected in property Mine for class armor
    [ 65,489] Worker 09 : Error: lua/PostLoadMod.lua:25: Base class 'ResourceTower' for 'Extractor' doesn't exist
    Call stack:
    (for index) = 36
    (for limit) = 197
    (for step) = 1
    i = 36
    className = "Extractor"
    classInfo = {mapName="extractor", networkVars= {isCorroded="boolean", isGhostStructure="boolean", nanoShielded="boolean", parasited="boolean", playIdleSound="boolean", powerSurge="boolean", powered="boolean", recycled="boolean", upgrade1="enum kTechId", upgrade2="enum kTechId", upgrade3="enum kTechId", upgrade4="enum kTechId", upgrade5="enum kTechId", upgrade6="enum kTechId", vortexed="boolean" } }
    reload = nil
    startLoadingTime = 65,455734807
    currentLoadingTime = 65,455736112
    gOutlinePlayers = true
    timePlayed = nil
    gTechTree = TechTree { }
    lastTimeHelpReset = nil
    kResetHelpTimer = 900
    kwarning: The VAD has been replaced by a hack pending a complete rewrite
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    elpasmo01 wrote: »
    Same here.

I'm using Ubuntu 14.04

Log:
    [ 59,584] Worker 09 : Error: shaders/GorgeTunnel.screenfx:24 : Parameter 'noiseMap' doesn't exist in shader
    [ 59,584] Worker 09 : Error: shaders/GorgeTunnel.screenfx:24 : Parameter 'baseTexture' doesn't exist in shader
    [ 59,584] Worker 09 : Error: shaders/GorgeTunnel.screenfx:24 : Parameter 'amount' doesn't exist in shader
    Team Info HUD is installed. Use "teaminfohud" to configure.
    Loading config://TeamInfoHUD.json
    [ 65,489] Worker 09 : Error: Error in network variable syntax: 'by' expected in property ResourceTower for class armor
    [ 65,489] Worker 09 : Error: Error in network variable syntax: 'by' expected in property MAC for class armor
    [ 65,489] Worker 09 : Error: Error in network variable syntax: 'by' expected in property Mine for class armor
    [ 65,489] Worker 09 : Error: lua/PostLoadMod.lua:25: Base class 'ResourceTower' for 'Extractor' doesn't exist
    Call stack:
    (for index) = 36
    (for limit) = 197
    (for step) = 1
    i = 36
    className = "Extractor"
    reload = nil
    startLoadingTime = 65,455734807
    currentLoadingTime = 65,455736112
    gOutlinePlayers = true
    timePlayed = nil
    gTechTree = TechTree { }
    lastTimeHelpReset = nil
    kResetHelpTimer = 900
    kwarning: The VAD has been replaced by a hack pending a complete rewrite

Hmm checked to load a local server without any mods ?
  • mockmock Germany Join Date: 2014-03-28 Member: 195015Members, NS2 Playtester
    I have the same error, and I even was desperate enough to install debian 8 (jessie) and try it there. No success. So now, back on Kubuntu (14.10 x64), after a fresh install of everything I still get the same error: Verify game data via Steam.

This occured once before, on the patch from 271 to 272. Back then I found a workaround by physically deleting all workshop mods and having NS2 download them again.
    Now, after 272 -> 273, I am not able to connect to any server, no matter what I do.

Here is my ns2 log:
    Date: 01/24/2015
    Time: 11:36:40 PM:
    Build 273
    Ubuntu x86_64
    Steam initialized
    Num displays: 2
    OpenGL 3.1.0 NVIDIA 340.65 initialized (NVIDIA Corporation GeForce GTX 760/PCIe/SSE2)
    Sound Device: default stereo
    Record Device: default
    Main Menu Initialized at Version: 273
    Steam Id: 5382724
    Connecting to server 148.251.50.39:27025
    [ 49,841] Worker 05 : Error: shaders/GorgeTunnel.screenfx:24 : Parameter 'noiseMap' doesn't exist in shader
    [ 49,841] Worker 05 : Error: shaders/GorgeTunnel.screenfx:24 : Parameter 'baseTexture' doesn't exist in shader
    [ 49,841] Worker 05 : Error: shaders/GorgeTunnel.screenfx:24 : Parameter 'amount' doesn't exist in shader
    [ 52,011] Worker 05 : Error: Error in network variable syntax: 'by' expected in property ResourceTower for class armor
    [ 52,012] Worker 05 : Error: Error in network variable syntax: 'by' expected in property MAC for class armor
    [ 52,012] Worker 05 : Error: Error in network variable syntax: 'by' expected in property Mine for class armor
    [ 52,012] Worker 05 : Error: lua/PostLoadMod.lua:25: Base class 'ResourceTower' for 'Extractor' doesn't exist
    Call stack:
    (for index) = 36
    (for limit) = 197
    (for step) = 1
    i = 36
    className = "Extractor"
    reload = nil
    startLoadingTime = 51,966430179
    currentLoadingTime = 51,966431457
    gOutlinePlayers = true
    timePlayed = nil
    gTechTree = TechTree { }
    lastTimeHelpReset = nil
    kResetHelpTimer = 900
    UpdateDecals = function
    lastDangerCheckTime = 0
    dangerEnabled = false
    dangerOrigin = nil
    optionsSent = false
    CheckRules = function
    OnMapPostLoad = function
    gShowDebugTrace = false
    OnClientConnect
    [ 52,013] Worker 05 : Error: Client class hierarchy for resourcetower does not match server class
    [ 52,013] Worker 05 : Error: Failed to read Server class table on the Client
    [ 52,062] MainThread : Error: 1 memory leaks in 'ClientWorldMisc' (4804 bytes)
    [ 52,062] MainThread : Error: 1 memory leaks in 'ClientWorld' (4804 bytes)
    Main Menu Initialized at Version: 273
    Steam Id: 5382724
    [ 71,131] MainThread : Error: Attempted to load remote options from a file that does not exist.
    [ 71,146] MainThread : Error: 1 memory leaks in 'ModServices' (1540 bytes)
    [ 71,491] MainThread : Error: 2 memory leaks in 'Client' (6344 bytes)
    [ 71,509] MainThread : Error: 2 memory leaks in 'Engine' (6344 bytes)

Also, you may find it interesting that after the error occured and I shut down NS either by the main menu or by "exit" a failed process is still running preventing me from starting NS2 again or Steam from quitting:
    <user>@&lt;kubuntu>:~$ ps -ef|grep ns2
    <user> 5027 5026 0 23:36 ? 00:00:00 /bin/sh -c "/home/<user>/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/Natural Selection 2/ns2_linux32"
    <user> 5028 5027 79 23:36 ? 00:01:12 /home/<user>/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/Natural Selection 2/ns2_linux32
    <user> 5047 5028 0 23:36 ? 00:00:00 [ns2_linux32] <defunct>
    Wow, reinstall?

Use workaround with LC_NUMERIC=en_US.UTF8 for now.
    I bet its some parsing problem within the class of the extractor. Probably an exception while trying to cast a string to a decimal number, and since the locale is a different the thousand seperators or the decimal points are getting messed up.
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    interesting. Does LC_NUMERIC=en_US.UTF8 indeed fix it?

what is your default LC_NUMERIC? Maybe i could reproduce it then and fix it in a similar way than with the locale bug
    edited January 2015
    Found the solution. Next patch should hopefully fix this.
    LC_NUMERIC needed to be set to C. this was apparently done automatically on windows, but not on linux, making the game not run on certain locales