no shader specified for material model.model

ArchieArchie Antarctica Join Date: 2006-09-19 Member: 58028Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter
Created an ammopack model, just trying to get it to work, i cannot see it in the model viewer or in game, i'm assuming this is the problem? do you know why it would be invisible? i can see it in 3dsmax, blender, just about all modeling ones but not in game, i've created a albedo + normal and spec but it seems to give me this no shader one, even though i've left it to the default that was already being used by ns2 ammopack. (it's ns1 convert ammopack)

Comments

• SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited December 2014
    Without being able to see the files I can't tell you exactly for sure what's wrong.
    Assuming you
    Exported using opencollada (in this case not using 3ds max 2009 with the ColadaMax.dle that comes with the game doesn't matter)
    Created a material file with the correct shader (probably Model.surface_shader, specified an albedoMap, normalMap, and specularMap
    Created a model_compile with
    geometry = model_name.dae

Put the textures in psd/tga form for the model in the same directory as the exported colada file, the model_compile, and the material file in modelsrc/path_you_choose/ all with the same name as the model name
    Built using builder
    It should be visible. Unless your model is named model.model and your material name is not model.material
  • ArchieArchie Antarctica Join Date: 2006-09-19 Member: 58028Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited December 2014
    edit, it works now... i had to modify the .DAE file and remove the ./ in init section, so random how it pretends it cannot see anything ><

catfdrtc.lfw.png

hehe :D
  • ArchieArchie Antarctica Join Date: 2006-09-19 Member: 58028Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Actually question, say i've specified a shader file in the material, why does it still say this? (tried with a phase-gate and soldier model (?) even if you can't see the files i have.
    edited December 2014
    edit: Okay, here's one more that's driving me nutts.
    n this case not using 3ds max 2009 with the ColadaMax.dle that comes with the game doesn't matter
    ^using this 2009 + coladamax.dle, don't think that's the problem?

here's how it looks in the modelviewer
    pj03logp.4bl.png
    here's how it looks in the editor
    egpzqxxa.jt2.png

And in NS2 it gives me shader problems/errors, and it's just invisible or doesn't load (i know i can't replace the pg with this, without changing lua and giving it animations and stuff)

But what's stopping me from using it in the editor? I can place it in the editor, but in game it just doesn't show? if remove original pg and then add just my pg, it doesn't even show up (just invisible) I realise i've probably got something wrong with the .dds/psd files, but i've done it with and without, fixed and not fixed i'm about to commit sudoku.

So i created a map, the map editor lets me use the model fine, but in game just spits out shader error, can anyone help me out?
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited December 2014
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/q0sbfyleyu95fun/phase_gate (fixed).zip?dl=0
    Everything looks right, except builder couldn't build your psds, or your model. Resaving and re-exporting from max seemed to fix it. You can see when there are problems in builder, and in the output of the editor, and in game by pressing `. Also, I modified your illlum map since it really shouldn't all be emissive, only lights and things.
    edited December 2014
    Thank you :) so I need to re export from max? But how did you create dds/psds? I'll download that soon
    DDS files were built using builder. PSDs were resaved using Photoshop as builder didn't like the ones you had originally, or the colada file
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    edited December 2014
    To ensure models export correctly:
    -use the export script that came with ns2 in 3dsmax 2009. Not open collada. Not 3dsmax 2014...12...13... whatever... '09.
    -after exporting, open the DAE and find the "library_images" section. Inside this, you'll see all your texture maps. In the "init_from" field, strip this down to JUST the filename and extension -- no directories in front of it... no slashes... JUST the material name, and the file extension. When it is compiled, the texture's extension is replaced with ".material", and it uses the ns2 materials in its place. (Side note: if you have non-albedo maps turned on in 3dsmax... eg normal or specular maps, turn them off BEFORE exporting, so you don't end up with a bunch of extra images declared in the DAE file).
    -the DAE is now ready to be added to the ".model_compile" file. A simple ".model_compile" file will be just one line of plaintext (w/o surrounding quotes):
    geometry "myModel.dae"

To ensure builder can correctly convert your PSDs to DDSs:
    -ensure all PSD's are "flattened" (NOT the same as just having a single layer... no, I mean "FLATTENED".
    -ensure the PSD is in rgb mode (so... NOT cmyk... NOT greyscale... etc...)
    edited December 2014
    Thanks guys :D really helped me!

Is there anyway to export ns2 models to 3dsmax? or once compiled we're stuck with propitiatory .model file? would be nice to see, open up that so we can animate and customise.
    No but hopefully soon
    :D i'm excited, that'd be very helpful, it's better then asking you for the source files everytime samus :smile: lastnight i talked with someone who gave up making there mod because they couldn't get there models to function properly and because the occlusion wasn't giving them enough distance!
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    edited December 2014
    @SamusDroid‌ @nizb0ag‌
    There's a utility floating around out there that converts .model files to .obj files. It works reasonably well for static models. Since it's OBJ, animations are obviously out. It's a command-line... thing... so buckle up.

http://dev.cra0kalo.com/?p=103