Loading Times

1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
I recently reinstalled the game, and noticed that the first map I join after launching or switching servers loads obscenely slowly (I am talking about 10-15 min here). All subsequent rounds are much more reasonable, but the first map always takes forever. I remember a few builds ago when I was running xp it would load fine, but now after upgrade to win7 its border line intolerable.

Does this happen to anyone else?

Comments

• NazoNazo Such Is Life in The Zone Join Date: 2010-12-16 Member: 75720Members, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    The first load for every map in NS2 will be really slow, the next time you load the same map it will never be that bad again
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    10-15 is way too much.
    Download defraggler (its free) and double check everything.

My 1 TB Seagate takes 1:30 to load from a cold start
    My SSD takes 30 seconds give or take 15 seconds
  • METROIDMETROID Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165171Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    1dominator1, also try to disable HDD active software like anti-viruses before play.
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    METROID wrote: »
    software like anti-viruses before play.
    Not advised.

• YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited December 2014
    I'd check the S.M.A.R.T. health to start with if I was you, no application should ever take that long to load, do all the basic things like, defragment your HDD, clean your HDD, Defraggler & CCleaner are good for this, might be worth just to see if your antivirus isn't actively scanning at that time and set it to a scheduled time, every sunday @ 8am for me :)
  • METROIDMETROID Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165171Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    AurOn2 wrote: »
    Not advised.
    Agree.
  • ATFATF Join Date: 2014-05-09 Member: 195944Members
    Have you tried the console command res_workers 2 or res_workers 3 ? Afaik that's being made an GUI option in 272.
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    ATF wrote: »
    Have you tried the console command res_workers 2 or res_workers 3 ? Afaik that's being made an GUI option in 272.

Those commands are not advised for people that do not use SSDs, as they might actually increase loading times
  • _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    AurOn2 wrote: »
    Not advised.
    There are anti-viruses that have a "gaming-mode" that activates automatically. I discourage using AntiVir and Avast. Get something like Nod32.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited December 2014
    There are also anti virus apps that we found interfered with loading times during our testing, as well as ones that just flat out will prevent NS2 from playing (comodo)
    So I think as long as you've done a full system scan with AV and malware checking, just temporarily fully disable them (I think comodo needed to be uninstalled) and compare / report the results.

@AurOn2‌ I don't get the panic over going AV free for a few seconds to troubleshoot a game?..... o.0