[Questions] Open Sourced modes, scripts and Licenses (MIT, GPL, BSD, etc)

HeadClotHeadClot Utah Join Date: 2009-12-20 Member: 69724Members
Hey,

I have a few questions about a few things regarding future perfect.
1. Are we allowed to Open Source our game modes and Scripts?
2. Do we have to use a specific license if we do open source our modes or Scripts? (MIT, GPL, BSD, Custom, etc)

Just curious,

HeadClot

Comments

• HeadClotHeadClot Utah Join Date: 2009-12-20 Member: 69724Members
    Max wrote: »
    You can definitely open source anything you create under any license you want.

Thanks for the information,

This made my day.
  • clankill3rclankill3r Join Date: 2007-09-03 Member: 62145Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Will FP inform users of this anyway?

I think it would be nice if you can define some text in a file that get's used as a header for every new file you create.
  • SufferMyJoySufferMyJoy Canada Join Date: 2015-01-21 Member: 200968Members
    It would be kind of cool if there was an option to export as Open Source and it would include something like the GPLv2 and an automatically generated a project README based on what's in the project.
  • idsochoidsocho iPakistan Join Date: 2015-03-13 Member: 202065Members
    edited March 2015
    Will FP inform users of this anyway?
  • MurphyIdiotMurphyIdiot NS2 programmer Join Date: 2008-04-17 Member: 64095Members, Super Administrators, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    Any suggestions for how we should best inform players?

All we are saying right now is you can open source anything you create. That is unrelated to licensing for resale or whatever. So there are no plans to support exporting your project into it's own independent game. We view this more as it's own game than a game engine (although it is technically an engine too).

People can play your game by downloading it through FP in the Workshop of course. Think of the games as mods in the traditional sense.

I hope that clears things up a bit!