Bleach?

MycroftCanadaNSMycroftCanadaNS Halifax Join Date: 2014-11-01 Member: 199263Members
Has anyone come across items yet that can help you create filters or bleach or is that not in the game yet?

Comments

• zetachronzetachron Germany Join Date: 2014-11-14 Member: 199655Members
    edited November 2014
    You need to cut corals to coralchunk with a knife. Then make calcium, find salt to make bleach. Finally the disinfected water bottle. Of course you need emery and metal for the knife.

The difficulty is the time. You have about 12 minutes real time to get all components. Oxygen consumption is drastic without tanks. Best of all suddenly metal is rare and emery seems to have vanished. Finally when I wanted to drink my bottle I couldn't LMB or RMB to do so. Always went red health after about 12 minutes (but doesn't really kill you).

This is why I fear that survival right now will stop you from exploring and force all gameplay into resource hunting. Not funny right now.
  • rehreh Join Date: 2011-12-11 Member: 137450Members
    zetachron wrote: »
    when I wanted to drink my bottle I couldn't LMB or RMB to do so.

To drink/eat items assign a key to them -> they'll appear in one of the 5 slots at the bottom, then rmb on that slot.

I think I did assign a key and then RMB, also tried inventory LMB. Both didn't work. Keyassign didn't bring them to appear visually. Did you get it to work?
    Yes, just checked it again. Still works.
  • MycroftCanadaNSMycroftCanadaNS Halifax Join Date: 2014-11-01 Member: 199263Members
    Thanks Guys...

Now we have another problem. The latest Build has now disabled the sand, and allows you to pass through the ground into open space so the game is unplayable.

When they fix this problem I'll test out your suggestions.

cheers!
    edited November 2014
    Found out, RMB while pressing Hotkey worked. Metal and emery gone execpt 1 piece each to build knife. Salt too rare to survive any long. And not a single option to relax exploring with that rate of survival. Hope this will get balanced in some time.

Digging sand still works near the lifepod if you don't penetrate the surface.

EDIT:
    No, things don't work. Buggy as hell right now. Sometimes I can dig, than I can't. Now eating and drinking don't work. But some metal and emery is there. Salt is much too rare to stay alive. Fish and corals no problem. How about the console codes for restoring values of food and drink? Well I'll have to wait.
    Well, the Steam early access is approaching quickly, and I'm sure things are pretty hectic. It'll all settle down a bit after the steam release.
  • dottedfishdottedfish Germany Join Date: 2014-11-22 Member: 199755Members
    Any ETA on the SteamEA? I'm kind of hoping it won't be torn to shreds by an unforgiving community like most of the other, eh, "experimental" early access titles.
  • CastleCastle New York Join Date: 2014-09-08 Member: 198307Members, Confirm Email, Subnautica Developer
    edited November 2014
    The timing on survival elements is still being worked on. 12 minutes is a bit harsh for starting out in normal mode I think. However when it comes to balancing these kinds of systems its difficult to get it right until everything is in place. Definitely need to keep the feedback on this topic coming.

As a point of reference, the current rates for Hunger and thirst are
    30 minutes to go from completely full to starving.
    45 minutes to go from completely hydrated to fully dehydrated.

However, right now when first starting you start with your stats at roughly 50%

Exhaustion or sleep is not currently planned as something you will micromanage.
    Castle wrote: »
    The timing on survival elements is still being worked on. 12 minutes is a bit harsh for starting out in normal mode I think. However when it comes to balancing these kinds of systems its difficult to get it right until everything is in place. Definitely need to keep the feedback on this topic coming.

As a point of reference, the current rates for Hunger and thirst are
    30 minutes to go from completely full to starving.
    45 minutes to go from completely hydrated to fully dehydrated.

However, right now when first starting you start with your stats at roughly 50%

Exhaustion or sleep is not currently planned as something you will micromanage.

I try to stay calm, but do you really plan to starve from hunger faster than dehydration? Isn't that absolute the opposite of real life where you would need weeks to starve from hunger and only 3 days to get dehydrated? My personal feedback suggestion would rather favorite a 30 minutes to dehydration and 90 minutes to starvation to let me feel that halfway realistic.

Of course it's more fun to hunt food than to gather resources for drinking water. But that could be compensated by making drinking items refilling more capacity. So to refill to 100% you might need 5 fish, but only 1 bottle water.
  • CastleCastle New York Join Date: 2014-09-08 Member: 198307Members, Confirm Email, Subnautica Developer
    I completely agree with your point about the speed of hunger vs hydration. I'll bring this exact thing up in the next meeting. In all of my previously designed survival systems thirst increases faster than hunger.

Remember this is the first iteration. A lot needs to be adjusted still.

Keep the feedback coming.
    If you want more feedback, my first suggestion would be to tie the food and water level to activity. If you do nothing, you have 3 days for dehydration and a week for starvation. Swimming or digging means more rapid food, water and air consumption, while sleeping uses less food and water. So high activity might mean dehydration and starvation in less than a day.

Then weight can be used to increase consumption or slow down swimming or let the player sink in water.

Additionally the human heartbeat could be displayed visually with a heart symbol pulsating or an ECG to let the player feel activity costs.