Comment thread: Recreating the Lan Party Feel

HughHugh CameramanSan Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
Comment system currently functioning below optimal levels. This is the comment thread for the article:
http://unknownworlds.com/futureperfect/recreating-lan-party-feel-2/

Comments

• NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Lan party game was the first thing I thought of when I saw the video. Looks cool!
  • MurphyIdiotMurphyIdiot NS2 programmer Join Date: 2008-04-17 Member: 64095Members, Super Administrators, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    I played A LOT of HL2 and Warcraft 3 mods around that time. Some of my favorites were Pest Control, Leet Skeet (CS mod), Source Forts, and The Hidden.
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    edited November 2014
    I played A LOT of HL2 and Warcraft 3 mods around that time. Some of my favorites were Pest Control, Leet Skeet (CS mod), Source Forts, and The Hidden.

Warcraft 3... mods... warcraft 3.. mods.. memories...
    I WANT TO SEE A WEREWOLF OR METASTASIS STYLE GAME. STAT.

Okay i've relaxed. Serious questions: How extensive will the modding be?
    EG: Can i make a third-person or rts-style game(mode?)
    There is several hundred WC3 custom maps which can/hopefully WILL Be recreated.
    And can be done better in an engine which isn't-as-limited as that whatever-engine warcraft runs from.
    (didn't stop the people, though, NEVER CAN YOU STOP THE PEOPLE!)
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    I ran a fairly successfuly LAN party in Milton Keynes for 4 years with a friend, who had previously been running it for 3 years on his own. The memories, so many mods. The early HL2 mods were great, LAN party madness playing Dodgeball Alpha, the orchestrated teamwork while playing Capture the Flag and more importantly, Plan Of Attack. I had over 20 unique HL2 mods we used to play within the first 6 months of the game being available, but we played mods from so many games.

We also happened to run the most popular CS:S ZombieMod server in the UK, and that was a big favourite at the LAN too.
  • MurphyIdiotMurphyIdiot NS2 programmer Join Date: 2008-04-17 Member: 64095Members, Super Administrators, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    AurOn2 wrote: »
    How extensive will the modding be?
    EG: Can i make a third-person or rts-style game(mode?)

Very extensive. Third person is already possible, RTS is technically possible but a few more features will make it a lot easier to implement.
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Man, this game sounds like why I bought SC2....those use-map-settings games :D
  • LachdananLachdanan Join Date: 2003-06-04 Member: 16995Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Onos
    With all this new hotloading stuff instead of compiling fixed hl1-maps for 4hours on lan with a friend,
    what i always wanted to do was create a living map, one that is capable of changing itself.
    For example collapsing hallways, creating new rooms out of thin air, changing the layout while the players are playing on it.
    Not just move the elevators. Let RNG decide and Chaos play.

Maybe one day.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    @Lachdanan‌
    You should try entering the editor mode with another friend in the game and dynamically place mines around them, or change a jump pad just before they land etc.
    LOADS of possibilities for game modes :)
  • bERt0rbERt0r Join Date: 2005-03-23 Member: 46181Members
    Wow this really sounds exciting! Though the biggest problem I see is having a base of models and textures to use in games. WC3 mapping became great because it was possible to achieve much with just and idea. I think the time and skill needed to produce high quality 3D graphics is one thing that slowed down mod development after the golden HL1 ages.
    Are you going to allow for example the usage of NS (1 or 2) models in Future Perfect?
  • MaxMax Technical Director, Unknown Worlds Entertainment Join Date: 2002-03-15 Member: 318Super Administrators, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    bERt0r wrote: »
    Wow this really sounds exciting! Though the biggest problem I see is having a base of models and textures to use in games. WC3 mapping became great because it was possible to achieve much with just and idea. I think the time and skill needed to produce high quality 3D graphics is one thing that slowed down mod development after the golden HL1 ages.
    Are you going to allow for example the usage of NS (1 or 2) models in Future Perfect?
    Yes, we are planning on uploading a lot of the NS2 models to the Steam Workshop.

I definitely agree with you about the barrier than modern detailed models presents. This is one of the reasons we're making the style of the art we include with the game very simple (http://unknownworlds.com/futureperfect/getting-look-2/). It should be fairly easy for the community to build on it in the same style. I haven't made too much progress on this yet, but the goal is to take simple geometry and textures and make them look really visually interesting with shaders and other graphical effects.