Is this for Amateurs like me?

PurgatusPurgatus Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165982Members
Hey all!

I'm aspiring to design games and though I have a passing understanding, I'm still very much a beginner in all aspects (design, coding, scripting, etc.)

Is this going to be targeted to people like me who are looking for an interface to bring game ideas out without the in depth knowledge? Possibly in the same way Blueprints for Unreal 4 let me do scripting without being a programmer?

Thanks!

Comments

• HeadClotHeadClot Utah Join Date: 2009-12-20 Member: 69724Members
    edited November 2014
    Curious about this as well...

What language does this use (LUA, C#, etc.) I know unknown worlds is using Unity for Subnatuica. Is this their own in house engine that powered NS2?

Just curious :)

• MaxMax Technical Director, Unknown Worlds Entertainment Join Date: 2002-03-15 Member: 318Super Administrators, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    Purgatus wrote: »
    Is this going to be targeted to people like me who are looking for an interface to bring game ideas out without the in depth knowledge?
    That's our goal, but we are not there yet. One of the design principles we've been using is a "tiered" concept, where people with more experience can dive to deeper levels with the tools to get more power and flexibility, but notices are still able to create things easily. We are still considering options for visual programming in the style of Unreal blueprints.
    HeadClot wrote: »
    What language does this use (LUA, C#, etc.) I know unknown worlds is using Unity for Subnatuica. Is this their own in house engine that powered NS2?
    Yes this is our own engine which has evolved from the engine we created for NS2. We use Lua for writing game scripts.

• PurgatusPurgatus Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165982Members
    edited November 2014
    Max wrote: »
    Is this going to be targeted to people like me who are looking for an interface to bring game ideas out without the in depth knowledge?
    That's our goal, but we are not there yet. One of the design principles we've been using is a "tiered" concept, where people with more experience can dive to deeper levels with the tools to get more power and flexibility, but notices are still able to create things easily. We are still considering options for visual programming in the style of Unreal blueprints.

Then a follow up question.

I understand this is a work in progress. I don't mind shelling out the 10 bucks for the possibility of a system that allows me to more easily negotiate game creation.

Are you looking for feedback from my relative experience level? If I am clear that this is a work in progress, would you recommend this for me?

EDIT: Also thanks for the prompt and direct answers!
  • InsaneInsane Anomaly Join Date: 2002-05-13 Member: 605Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    Max wrote: »

Then a follow up question.

I understand this is a work in progress. I don't mind shelling out the 10 bucks for the possibility of a system that allows me to more easily negotiate game creation.

Are you looking for feedback from my relative experience level? If I am clear that this is a work in progress, would you recommend this for me?

EDIT: Also thanks for the prompt and direct answers!

I'm not going to recommend you this game right now, because it's in such an early state and we haven't done a lot of the make-it-simple work. What I will say is that feedback from someone of your interest and experience level would be hugely valuable.

But it's important to be clear that if you drop $10 on this right now, you are taking a risk. It might pay off, it might not!

• PurgatusPurgatus Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165982Members
    I'm in!

I just purchased, and am installing now. I hope to have some adequate feedback soon.
  • ArchieArchie Antarctica Join Date: 2006-09-19 Member: 58028Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Thanks for working on something like this Max, your skills for the lighting effects on NS2 and everything involved with the core engine development was and is still amazing, you and your family are top notch _b i look forward to developing and playing around with this, i always wanted a tony-hawk esque editor for game ideas,

similar to this where you could place blocks, make map etc and play it at the same time to see.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    @Purgatus‌ Glad you have joined the club!!

I was like you when I bought NS2, and when from a passing knowledge to designing and making full mods over the period of a couple of years.

This system is going to be even simpler to build content with, so you should be able to progress much faster than I was initially able to.

I'd recommend starting by making a map, it's the first thing i do in a new engine. With the drop in play design nature of Future Perfect, building a map, is essentially also creating your own game. You can move onto adding code once you get a bit more comfortable, or begin to find the things you want to do aren't available in the already existing content.

Then you can get into the really exciting world of programming your own. I am only just beginning to look at the code myself, but if you want to add me on steam, i'm always available to offer advice and help when I can.

Just beware, I only have about four years experience with NS2, and a few months with a component based engine I was working with, so I am not really a programmer yet, still more of a hack it together and hope it works type of dev :D
  • clankill3rclankill3r Join Date: 2007-09-03 Member: 62145Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    I think FP would really shine if the user is able to create a tony hawk editor :)
    Both an in editor one and an in game one.