Subnautica Dev Update 3: Early Access?! - Subnautica

SystemSystem Join Date: 2013-01-29 Member: 182599Members, Super Administrators, Reinforced - Diamond

imageSubnautica Dev Update 3: Early Access?! - Subnautica

Following development of Subnautica will give you two things. The first is a rollicking roller-coaster ride of game development fun, in which you will see an underwater adventure game go...

Read the full story here

Comments

• HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Bump to open comment thread
  • Sir_zinoSir_zino England Join Date: 2014-10-09 Member: 198901Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    You missed the most important bit...on the aurora THERE ARE BIIIIIIRDS!

Radiation-prooof BIIIIIIIIRDS
  • MycroftCanadaNSMycroftCanadaNS Halifax Join Date: 2014-11-01 Member: 199263Members
    I've already come across those floating rocks, very nice.
  • Classic319Classic319 Join Date: 2010-11-06 Member: 74789Members
    Are whole terrains and environments same/fixed on every game from every single other player, or is it self-generating, so that we encounter new terrains, new places through several different exploration? It would be cool to see unexpected things all the time, then i'll gonna buy this instantly with my gratitude.

But, please, add co-op or multiplayer gameplay at sometime!
  • Paul-HewsonPaul-Hewson Join Date: 2008-02-25 Member: 63737Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Where are the subs ?????
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Where are the subs ?????

Agreed. At least one full sub should be implemented before "early release" starts.
  • Sir_zinoSir_zino England Join Date: 2014-10-09 Member: 198901Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    A you can spawn a cyclops but it's just an item cube.
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    Where are the subs ?????
    Benson wrote: »
    Agreed. At least one full sub should be implemented before "early release" starts.
    We are itching to add the Cyclops sub as well, but it is looking pretty unlikely to go into the game in time for the start of Steam Early Access. There are still many core game mechanics that we need to add first, that are more important in the overall scope of the game. We really want to convey to players what kind of game Subnautica will be and what direction it's going in. We can make it clear to players when we release SEA that they will eventually be able to construct a full sub, and that there will be a lot more tech to craft as well, and we feel they will be understanding if the foundation of the game is there and they are having fun with it and seeing where things are going.

We also want to take the time to do the Cyclops justice, and not rush it out half finished. The sub is really cool, and there are a lot of gameplay elements that go along with it, that will take a fair amount of time to implement. But it likely will be one of the first big features we work on very soon after SEA release.

• BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited November 2014
    @Squeal_Like_A_Pig‌

Definitely don't rush our mobile home in the ocean ;)

Would it be possible to then have more downward visibility in the seamoth?

I love cruising in that thing, but its a pain to find places I want to dive into without getting out every time i see something promising, and I feel like players are missing out on a lot with only being able to see their legs in it.

edited because english is stupid.
  • dottedfishdottedfish Germany Join Date: 2014-11-22 Member: 199755Members
    We are itching to add the Cyclops sub as well, but it is looking pretty unlikely to go into the game in time for the start of Steam Early Access. There are still many core game mechanics that we need to add first, that are more important in the overall scope of the game. We really want to convey to players what kind of game Subnautica will be and what direction it's going in. We can make it clear to players when we release SEA that they will eventually be able to construct a full sub, and that there will be a lot more tech to craft as well, and we feel they will be understanding if the foundation of the game is there and they are having fun with it and seeing where things are going.

This is really important - in fact if players had access to the big achievements they'd quickly lose interest in the game or rate it bad based on their experience.

Having backed Star Citizen I must say I'm really happy with their approach, releasing smaller but seemingly more refined modules first. Also modules that will not affect later gameplay at all. This way the player can test the individual mechanics without spoiling the game. Also it's easier to refine things in a smaller scope than the whole game.

Will their be any multiplayer / co-op during the SEA? If yes then I'd advise providing little mini activities to bond players to each other and the game. Like having to actually work together (maybe finding bigger parts that can't be moved alone), interacting with sea creatures or diving races (challenging factors could be currents or geographical factors (like caves).
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    I was just thinking about Early Access release for Subnautica as I was playing around on my Subnautica stream yesterday. Unfortunately, I din't have a mic to voice my thoughts, so I will try and post as many as I can remember here. There are a few questions and issues that popped up.

Will I get bored?

For me personally, I am not really interested in the game part of Subnautica. For me the freedom lies in putting on the oxygen cheat, giving myself some fins, and then just swimming around freely exploring. As you may realise from GorgeCraft, I like to take rules and gameplay out of games, and establish complete player freedom to do what they want.

From this perspective, and with Subnautica being a static pre-crafted world, how long will it be before I get bored of exploring the level?

Will there be a game mode for me?

While not necessarily an Early Access question, it is one early access purchasers might want to know.

People like different things, as clearly seen from the posts of @MycroftCanadaNS‌ he is very much into the survival and complex parts of the game.

I am hoping for a mode where I can just swim around in the water, interact with the animals without being attacked, but be able to dig terrain and maybe seed plant life into the tunnels and reefs I create, in other words, I see an open-world GorgeCraft type game, without oxygen, and other dangers, basically, no survival at all.

These two extremes do fit the concept of Hardcore and Freeform modes, as you have specified in the menu, with a balanced normal mode, but do you see these being developed, or will you go for a single development with different modes of difficulty? Or will you be able to turn off predators and other stuff in the menu to fine tune the game to your liking?

Is it too early for Early Access?

I feel you have the basis for a spectacular game, but I do feel with the things like static world etc, you run the risk of shortening the replayability of the game the earlier you release. This results in lower playing time after release, and then makes a game look like it is not as good as it is.

There are some issues, unexplained deaths and such that I think would be a bit too much for early access. As a general rule of thumb, IMHO, I think a game should be a well developed Alpha build before release to Steam Early Access.

I think there are one or two issues and lack of content that prevent Subnautica being at that build just yet. Of course 6 weeks is a good amount of time for you to get your teeth into this, but I would personally like to see a working sub in the game before Early Access. I mean the game is called SUBnautica. :D

• HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited November 2014
    Benson wrote: »
    Would it be possible to then have more downward visibility in the seamoth?
    Scoped: https://trello.com/c/w2Hryo7f/2931-change-seamoth-to-use-tie-fighter-controls

• trinity.nstrinity.ns Join Date: 2008-12-07 Member: 65688Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I'd love to be able to craft polarized goggles. When being outside the water it would it make much easier to look down.

Maybe not worth the effort as players wont be spending much time out of the water. Just thought I should mention it here (after seeing Michael standing on that rock).
  • MuckyMcFlyMuckyMcFly Join Date: 2012-03-19 Member: 148982Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    Daft question, but is there any way to get access to this now I have purchased 'shadow' without using Twitter, I don't really want to open an account... or is it tough luck?
  • dottedfishdottedfish Germany Join Date: 2014-11-22 Member: 199755Members
    Mucky could you elaborate on your statement? In case you bought the earliest access you should get a humble store e-mail which leads you to the humble page. From there just activate your key with Steam and eventually switch to the Experimental build in the Subnautica game properties.