Sounds of Gasopods Digging (down right annoying, and an immersion breaker)

MycroftCanadaNSMycroftCanadaNS Halifax Join Date: 2014-11-01 Member: 199263Members
Hi.

Earlier I was recording a video for my channel, and I came across Gasopods mulling about, and then I heard a sound that is just down right annoying. It sounded like I was swapping out my inventory over & over again. I was just recently told that it's the sound Gasopods make when digging.

Will you be changing that sound to something else, removing it or replacing it with a visual instead?

It got so bad I had to get out of the area, it broke the immersion factor.

Later.

Comments

• NazoNazo Such Is Life in The Zone Join Date: 2010-12-16 Member: 75720Members, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold

SmileySuicide.gif
    This game is not even in Alpha yet.

Assume if it is shit, it will change.
  • MycroftCanadaNSMycroftCanadaNS Halifax Join Date: 2014-11-01 Member: 199263Members
    Nazo wrote: »
    SmileySuicide.gif
    This game is not even in Alpha yet.

Assume if it is shit, it will change.

Which is why you let them know now. Just because it's an alpha doesn't mean that it should not be reported.

How do I know they know about the problem?

Stop using the alpha excuse, it doesn't wash.

• NazoNazo Such Is Life in The Zone Join Date: 2010-12-16 Member: 75720Members, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    edited November 2014
    They know the "issue" is there because they placed the current one there as a placeholder for the actual effect/sound (ect) that will come later
  • MycroftCanadaNSMycroftCanadaNS Halifax Join Date: 2014-11-01 Member: 199263Members
    Nazo wrote: »
    They know the "issue" is there because they placed the current one there as a placeholder for the actual effect/sound (ect) that will come later

Okay thanks.
  • Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
    Maybe one of the survival aspects of this species to annoy predators to the point that they run away.
    edited November 2014
    Racer1 wrote: »
    Maybe one of the survival aspects of this species to annoy predators to the point that they run away.

Sure why not, I'm all for it but this sound is not just annoying, it made me wonder if I was stuck in a swapping out of inventory bug because that is what it sounded like.

It wasn't annoying in a way a scream would be, and have you bleeding from your ears forcing you to get the heck out of there, it sounded more like a game bug sound.

You also have to realize that these are the cows of this particular ocean, and not some screeching demon from the deep.

Immersion is critical in this game, and if a sound doesn't fit the environment, then the sound is no good, and has to go, it's just that simple.
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    I don't think Gasopods are even going to be able to dig at all, so assume that is going to get fixed at some point.
    I don't think Gasopods are even going to be able to dig at all, so assume that is going to get fixed at some point.

Your right. I was in a cave earlier, and I got the same sound without the Gasopods in the area.

The sound I am hearing is the exact same sound when you pick up sand.

• Sir_zinoSir_zino England Join Date: 2014-10-09 Member: 198901Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Hmm.... The gasopod is the only thing that has dug up sand in my games...
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    I would say for stuff like this, no need to make a forum thread. We have the in-game reporter for weird stuff like this and chances are, we're aware of really obvious stuff anyway (we play the game daily, and run playtests on Thursdays with a team of Playtesters as well).

Forums are the best place for feature and gameplay discussions, probably less so for weirdness and bugs (unless they are hilarious :D)