Base Weight, and Survival.

MycroftCanadaNSMycroftCanadaNS Halifax Join Date: 2014-11-01 Member: 199263Members
Hey.

Been wondering how the weight of your personal loot will affect your rate of ascent, and the amount of oxygen you will consume?

Wondering...

Comments

• zetachronzetachron Germany Join Date: 2014-11-14 Member: 199655Members
    I've never seen a game where you can't run around with an armada of inventory. Some games use weight but not volume restrictions in a minimal way. Once I had a game with a pack mule running with me.

With subnautica, why don't we just use pack drones at a later stage? Or put inventory gathered in surfacing pods/balloons to gather items at some time later?

Also when i dig tons of sand I would prefer to pile up behind me or stack in inventory to quickdrop gathered sand in an instant with a button.

At this time I think weight makes me swim slower (not sure), but there is no overweight that pulls you down.

Inventory isn't in categories, so you can't press a button to quick release all resources in a package. When a predator gets you you'd like to drop everything that doesn't support speedup (like glider power or fins) with a single hotkey.
  • MycroftCanadaNSMycroftCanadaNS Halifax Join Date: 2014-11-01 Member: 199263Members
    edited November 2014
    zetachron wrote: »
    I've never seen a game where you can't run around with an armada of inventory. Some games use weight but not volume restrictions in a minimal way. Once I had a game with a pack mule running with me.

I play a game called The Long Dark, and it uses the weight system instead of having inventory restrictions, and if you go willy nilly picking up items greatly affects your overall performance, and can, and does get you killed if you do not manage your supplies properly.

To be honest though I think that sort of game mechanic wouldn't work with the game unless they decide to allow it for different modes of game play such as...

#1: Easy = Roam Mode, no perma-death some good old exploration with crafting/building. Great for children to learn the basics without it affecting all the beauty, and wonder this game offers.

#2: Normal = The way the Game is mean't to be played. There would be some survival aspects added into the mix but nothing like which would be in the Hardcore Setting.

#3: Hardcore = Has the realism, and work your butt off for what you need to do. This mode would not only have perma-death but include all the goodies such as weight restrictions, eating, sleeping, drinking, affects of being cold, diseases, and all of the great, and wonderful problems while being under water, and bring in a few elements from other survival games which would really test your ability to survive on a beautiful but a very hostile environment... Personally this would be the mode I would prefer to play.

Now this is the part where some developers get wrong. I have seen Hardcore mode be abused meaning that they would increase the amount of creatures, and beef up the enemy A.I to ridiculous amounts that it just doesn't make any sense whatsoever, and I hope the developer refuses to go in that direction.
    With subnautica, why don't we just use pack drones at a later stage? Or put inventory gathered in surfacing pods/balloons to gather items at some time later?

Excellent Idea there, I was thinking about that earlier.
    Also when i dig tons of sand I would prefer to pile up behind me or stack in inventory to quickdrop gathered sand in an instant with a button.

hmmm, having it pile up behind you might be a good idea, and have an option of selecting what you like to take instead of filling your inventory, and also have an option as in another game I play which allows you to hold down your pickup key will pick up the entire amount, or you can pick only what you need.
    At this time I think weight makes me swim slower (not sure), but there is no overweight that pulls you down.

I agree since this would get in the way of the adventure part of the game but they could add that into the Hardcore mode if they decide to add in weight restrictions instead of the current system.
    Inventory isn't in categories, so you can't press a button to quick release all resources in a package. When a predator gets you you'd like to drop everything that doesn't support speedup (like glider power or fins) with a single hotkey.

I'm all for that. Having the item stack makes more sense, and fixes the clutter issue the game currently suffers from.
  • GunnieGunnie U.K Join Date: 2014-10-16 Member: 199000Members
    edited November 2014

I think stacking in the inventory would be the better idea, it would be no good tunnelling into the ground, get low on oxgen...turn around to go back to the surface, and whoops...the tunnel is blocked behind you ;)

As for inventory space all you need to do is look at what is used today, sample trays on submersables that can be filled from outside the sub via the diver or robotic arm or smaller sample trays or bags with a small balloon (inflated from the divers tank) which can be tethered to the divers belt and towed along behind them. or if the balloon is inflated fully, sent to the surface.

Another way I have seen of managing inventory space that I quite like is to give each object a certain size and shape as in the inventory system used in State of Decay, i.e. a knife is 1 inventory box, a seargun is 2 boxes. Maybe that kind of system could be implemented into the sample trays or 'portable inventory system'......hmmm I quite like that term, you'd better pinch it quick before I copyright it ;)
  • MycroftCanadaNSMycroftCanadaNS Halifax Join Date: 2014-11-01 Member: 199263Members
    Gunnie wrote: »

I think stacking in the inventory would be the better idea, it would be no good tunnelling into the ground, get low on oxgen...turn around to go back to the surface, and whoops...the tunnel is blocked behind you ;)

That is a very good point! :)

• zetachronzetachron Germany Join Date: 2014-11-14 Member: 199655Members
    In real world you have a drill and sort of pipeline that pumps stuff out. Too bad for a game. So to ease things inventory should stack resources until the weight limit is reached. Maybe a weight load bar showing you how much you can still carry.

For massive terraforming you can use more tools and even subs. Transport drones could assist you automatically depleting your resources and carrying them to your base. A sub would have its own freight bay and carry limit as it has its own oxygen supply and probably its own health.

Would it make sense to have a weight bar? Actually each survival factor would come with a bar for good indication. So number of bars would rise. We could have:
    - oxygen
    - pressure
    - energy (stamina for human)
    - health
    - weight
    Too many bars need a color warning system, otherwise distraction might be too big. A flashing bar could indicate a broken system (oxygen leak, hull breach, saturation problem, bleeding) to need repairs.

Each vehicle has its own set of bar max values. The standart suit counts as the human vehicle. Modules and upgrades like additional tanks or batteries can change max bar values.

Special tools like drills, sonar pulse, etc. could have its own special tool power bar.

In a survival options menu, each system can be deactivated if player doesn't like it and the bars wouldn't appear.