Steam Reviews?

NairitNairit NJ, USA Join Date: 2014-11-10 Member: 199589Members
Question to Unknown Worlds.

Are we allowed to post steam reviews? Obviously it will be "earliest access" marked and reviews will reflect this as well, but Subnautica is the game with tons of potentials and is already fun to play and the inside into the dev process is wonderful thing too. Basically I'd like to spread the word, hopefully get more people interested.

On the other hand you had your reasons not to make the game available on steam yet, so if you'd like us (me) to hold of on hyping the game - naturally i will.

Comments

• MycroftCanadaNSMycroftCanadaNS Halifax Join Date: 2014-11-01 Member: 199263Members
    I've been making videos as soon as the game was released. It's would be a bit late now to say no.
  • HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited November 2014
    You can do whatever you want @Nairit, we wouldn't want to (nor could we) stop you. However, we do request you carefully consider whether it's a good thing to do.

It's not possible to review Subnautica yet, as the game is not even close to being in a completed state. This is not 'Alpha' or 'Beta' stuff. A 'review' posted now would essentially be a review of an experimental internal development build that happens to be available for public consumption.

When games go 'Early Access,' they receive 'Early Access' review tags that warn people of the Early Access fact. Subnautica does not receive those tags, because we have opened up access BEFORE 'Early Access.' If you were to post a review now, and say something like 'It's ok, but fish AI is very simple, there are no submarines, and the colours made my eyes bleed,' then in a year from now when Subnautica is actually ready for review, your 'review' would still be sitting there.

The power is in your hands!
    I've been making videos as soon as the game was released. It's would be a bit late now to say no.

To clarify, @Nairit appears to be referring to Steam Reviews, not videos.
  • SteveRockSteveRock Join Date: 2012-10-01 Member: 161215Members, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer
    If you wanted to help spread the word, I would imagine a review when we actually do Early Access fully would be the most helpful. And, it would be the most accurate as well for the Steam audience.
  • NairitNairit NJ, USA Join Date: 2014-11-10 Member: 199589Members
    That was more of a "may I" rather than "can I" question ;) And it rather sounds like you are saying "we wouldn't want to stop you but we don't feel it's a good idea".

I'll hold off on reviews (and on videos - I can write a review on a potential and a process which are unlikely to change, but videos are anchored to current built and gameplay)

Of course might make videos specifically for this forum though. :)
  • zetachronzetachron Germany Join Date: 2014-11-14 Member: 199655Members
    How about this:

Pre-Alpha Preview (valid until 2015)
    + devs already shown to develop good games (NS2)
    + good development speed
    + high community feedback
    + engine already quite stable
    + good underwater artwork
    - content only for a few hours sandbox exploration at this time

A must have for your wishlist if you like underwater games.