I just had an epiphany....Faultline NS2 - Combat...hear my idea out. UWE you too.

MangoMango Join Date: 2012-10-11 Member: 162061Members
edited November 2014 in NS2 General Discussion
This can be a great thing. A blessing in disguise. If for some reason the population becomes a problem for NS2-Combat make it just like TF2 (Team Fortress 2) That is Free to Play with a store. You must have a store already set and placed so people can purchase things like Hats/Icons/Skins/Guns(Not guns that do more dmg but guns that look different with the same ability)/Flags(Like the flags in WoW where you own someone and place a flag in its corpse.

If this is done correctly it can bring lots of cash and everyone wins game is free and those who wishes to modify there marines or aliens can do so by extra purchases.

You must follow the same path like TF2.

Before you knock TF2 keep in mind in 2011 Hats alone they made $50 million dollars..that does not include the gun purchases.

My next big question is is Faultline allowed to even do this? Would UWE block this move? Is this just wishful thinking?

By making NS2 Combat like TF2 with the store purchases for extras toys and free to play it will bring everyone. But, you must keep the hats/skins/guns/models always coming in..that what makes TF2 so valuable they have so many different hats etc it is endless of choices.

Comments

• CalegoCalego Join Date: 2013-01-24 Member: 181848Members, NS2 Map Tester
    RaZDaZ wrote: »
    I'm sure that both FLG and UWE have considered the F2P hat option at some point in both games. A hat shop isn't going to be bringing in players, both games have problems in other areas like player retention and progression system. Address the core problems with the game that affects the popularity and maybe you could go F2P.
    This, and also:
    UWE Forums is not Faultline Games
  • MangoMango Join Date: 2012-10-11 Member: 162061Members
    edited November 2014
    RaZDaZ wrote: »
    I'm sure that both FLG and UWE have considered the F2P hat option at some point in both games. A hat shop isn't going to be bringing in players, both games have problems in other areas like player retention and progression system. Address the core problems with the game that affects the popularity and maybe you could go F2P.

To fair TF2 had its share of problems. Before TF2 become free to play we also had a player retention problem and progression system..since its Red Vs Blue. I did notice when TF2 went to the F2P route we did lose some hardcore players from TF 1.5 who did not want to give the Free to Play a chance.

However, after it become F2P I notice a huge flux of items in the store Hats/Guns etc and I also notice so many servers full after it was free to play. The increase was so high I was shocked. Yea, we had our new trolls but when they got owned they weren't trolls no more. Valve did profit more from F2P and as a result more updates was coming and now it is a big community.

*TF2 was released on October 9, 2007 it is a 7 year old game...still widely played by many.

It is something to consider.. I am posting here to see if UWE will even allow Faultline Games to even make a move like this since UWE still owns the game.
  • RaZDaZRaZDaZ Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167331Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2014
    Yes but you're also missing one of the most important aspects of a games success, money. Valve has the reputation and the money to market TF2 or any game they want to ridiculous levels but also, they're one of the most trusted developers of all gaming, just like Blizzard, they can make a game successful even if it sucks. Diablo 3 was considered by many to be the worst game Blizz released on launch but it was still absurdly successful.

UWE or FLG does not have anywhere near enough money for marketing, they struggle just to put a game together.

Edit: I feel that if you want a successful F2P model after following charging for the game, you need to already dedicate a lot of resources to developing a proper F2P model but also market the game to potential people who might be interested now. My point is, the game needs to solve its own problems first before committing to a F2P model. In a way, Valve took that approach because they have the resources to do that, they can take that risk but UWE or FLG can't. If F2P turns into a complete failure, UWE in the worst situation could be looking at financial bankruptcy.
  • bERt0rbERt0r Join Date: 2005-03-23 Member: 46181Members
    edited November 2014
    Im not sure about it but I would think that Valve provides the infrastructure for a F2P model like that. They would only get a cut of each sold piece so the financial risk is not there. Look at the similar system of CS:GO and Dota 2. It seems to me that it is designed to be applicable to other games as well.
  • MephillesMephilles Germany Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186634Members, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    I don't think hats will look good in the game. skins for aliens (buy for a certain alien or a pack), marines, weapons, structures is ok. And most important a teabag taunt for onos
  • bERt0rbERt0r Join Date: 2005-03-23 Member: 46181Members
    I wont my lork that hoovars without flapping.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    bERt0r wrote: »
    Sounds like jesus lerk.
  • RapGodRapGod Not entirely sure... Join Date: 2013-11-12 Member: 189322Members
    Nordic wrote: »
    Sounds like jesus lerk.

Sounds like an ns1 joke.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    RapGod wrote: »
    Nordic wrote: »
    Sounds like jesus lerk.

Sounds like an ns1 joke.
    It was a prophecy from ns1. It was decreed that lork will hover without flapping. The glorious lork shall perch atop the clorf.

Somebody help me make the prophecy better. I sadly was not around during ns1 times.
  • ZeroEarThZeroEarTh Singapore Join Date: 2014-07-01 Member: 197126Members
    Great idea man , 1 is F2P and Natural Selection 2 still can Pay2Play , atttract more $$$ for both company UWE and FaultlineGames

After all the hate , you must come to an end : " Developers are peoples too , normally they need food , money to live :D "

Free2Play game is not bad , not pay 2 win like everyone thinking , like Teamfortress 2 PUG match , you can only use Stock , basic item
    edited November 2014
    ZeroEarTh wrote: »
    Great idea man , 1 is F2P and Natural Selection 2 still can Pay2Play , atttract more $$$ for both company UWE and FaultlineGames

After all the hate , you must come to an end : " Developers are peoples too , normally they need food , money to live :D "

Free2Play game is not bad , not pay 2 win like everyone thinking , like Teamfortress 2 PUG match , you can only use Stock , basic item

Yes! They can really boost more players for NS2-Combat and use that as a sandbox to test out F2P. Many new players will join in and more will even be interested in buying the NS2 game. It is a win win situation. And, the items that the players purchase on NS2-Combat like hats for example must also be able to work for NS2. Interconnection is a must.
    Ytuvyyiyiyvtfdtexe they are separate companies with different directions.
    edited November 2014

its a family...they don't see it like that at all.
  • Maxx11_v2.0Maxx11_v2.0 Join Date: 2012-11-18 Member: 172221Members
    Mango wrote: »

What the heck are you talking about?
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Mango is clearly an insider of FLG and UWE social circles and knows exactly what they're thinking. ;)

Even if what he's saying is at odds with what both companies have stated at multiple points in time (that there would be no coordinated effort to have 2-way reincorporation of content from one game to the other) ;);)
    Mango wrote: »

What the heck are you talking about?

I think he's reffering how uwe is the 'parent' company.
  • ZeroEarThZeroEarTh Singapore Join Date: 2014-07-01 Member: 197126Members
    Grat idea , FaultlineGames should considering about this , F2P will make their game more popular