The first SN fan film? - Subnautica

SystemSystem Join Date: 2013-01-29 Member: 182599Members, Super Administrators, Reinforced - Diamond

imageThe first SN fan film? - Subnautica

Since Subnautica development builds were made publicly available on October 31st, youtube videos have started to spring up. Here’s one that caught our eye, as being possibly the first ‘fan film’...

Read the full story here

Comments

• HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Bump to open comment thread
  • MycroftCanadaNSMycroftCanadaNS Halifax Join Date: 2014-11-01 Member: 199263Members
    edited November 2014
    First?

I somehow doubt that.
  • Sir_zinoSir_zino England Join Date: 2014-10-09 Member: 198901Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    First?

I somehow doubt that.

Unless you're counting lets-plays then i think it is.
  • MycroftCanadaNSMycroftCanadaNS Halifax Join Date: 2014-11-01 Member: 199263Members
    edited November 2014
    Sir_zino wrote: »
    First?

I somehow doubt that.

A video is a video regardless of it's intent or content. Let's play is just as valid as any other no matter the title.

To ignore this, and make a claim like this is in itself a slap in the face to those who actually have taken the time to bother making a video of the game.

Be careful here.
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    To be fair, this is more of a montage, edited w/ music and running in what looks to me like high graphics. "fan made" to me means exactly that. I'm a fan of ns2. If I streamed it and posted the stream on youtube, I wouldn't really call it a "film." See what I mean? I've watched all your videos mycroft, and they're certainly different. I enjoy them definitely, but your's are more raw (i don't mean that negatively), less like a trailer or "film." I think that's the distinction here and I don't think you should feel offended at all, man.

:D
  • Sir_zinoSir_zino England Join Date: 2014-10-09 Member: 198901Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    I worded that wrong. What meant is that i think this is the first fan film of Subnautica.

I say this because i don't think lets plays count as fan film.

I usually count fan films as short stories using the people in the game or as in this case a kind of trailer.

But really don't take any of this as an insult. If i have somehow offended you I am sorry.
    edited November 2014
    Haaaa, I fully understand this...

Also, before I can go on any further I have to say that I didn't post this for myself, and I didn't take one bit offense to it believe me. :)

What I was concerned over was the wording itself, and how people do get their diapers all into a bunch over nonsense but there are people that would see this as a claim to fame for someone who may not deserve that title, and may very well feel they are due since they took the time to make the video, and bring it up to a specific high quality production, anyway you know what I mean.

For myself I know my videos are poo, and I pretty much design them to be that way out of sheer laziness (totally intentional I can assure you). :)

Have a good day guys, again it's the wording.
  • SteveRockSteveRock Join Date: 2012-10-01 Member: 161215Members, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer
    @MycroftCanadaNS‌ Yeah I think the reason we highlighted this video was because we thought it really captured the atmosphere of the game and it has lots of well-captured footage (such as swimming next to the rabbit ray). So, it did a great job of summarizing what's cool about the game (so far) in a nice package. A "film" if you will.

Of course we 100% appreciate all the stuff everyone else has been doing on youtube, especially you! We don't mean to play favorites. Your efforts are not lost on us, so we apologize if we make you feel otherwise sometimes. We're always looking for ways to engage and appreciate our community, but we're not perfect.
    edited November 2014
    SteveRock wrote: »
    @MycroftCanadaNS‌ Yeah I think the reason we highlighted this video was because we thought it really captured the atmosphere of the game and it has lots of well-captured footage (such as swimming next to the rabbit ray). So, it did a great job of summarizing what's cool about the game (so far) in a nice package. A "film" if you will.

Of course we 100% appreciate all the stuff everyone else has been doing on youtube, especially you! We don't mean to play favorites. Your efforts are not lost on us, so we apologize if we make you feel otherwise sometimes. We're always looking for ways to engage and appreciate our community, but we're not perfect.

I fully understand your reasoning for it, and I know your not playing favorites here, just was a bit concerned how others may react, that is all. You are right, there are YT members which really put a bag full of effort into their productions, and it's nice to see developers taking notice.

Perfection is in the eyes of beholder, and there is only a handful of developers which if there was a level of perfection in the industry I would say your pretty close to the top along with a couple of others out there (in my opinion just two others).

Just a concerned, and grateful gamer... Cheers!
  • Gawt34Gawt34 USA Join Date: 2018-11-12 Member: 244667Members
    Nice! This reminded me of little mermaid. I was so happy to find the movie on Netflix. Everybody in my family uses Netflix for entertainment. Recently, we found some nice shows by Andrew Yeatman and I have to tell that these shows teach a lot of good deeds to the kids.

• MaalterommMaalteromm Brasil Join Date: 2017-09-22 Member: 233183Members
    Gawt34 wrote: »
    Nice! This reminded me of little mermaid. I was so happy to find the movie on Netflix. Everybody in my family uses Netflix for entertainment. Recently, we found some nice shows by Andrew Yeatman and I have to tell that these shows teach a lot of good deeds to the kids.

ads are getting smarter
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    Gawt34 wrote: »

2mryld.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator
  • BigGrayGolemBigGrayGolem Lima Peru Join Date: 2018-04-24 Member: 240304Members
    Sir_zino wrote: »
    First?

I somehow doubt that.

A video is a video regardless of it's intent or content. Let's play is just as valid as any other no matter the title.

To ignore this, and make a claim like this is in itself a slap in the face to those who actually have taken the time to bother making a video of the game.

Be careful here.

Really? So any video is the same as any other video?

You're the only person in the world who believes this.