NS2+ (The mod previously known as Custom HUD)

Comments

• MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    xDragon wrote: »
    I heard there was a sekrat screenshot showing lifeform notifications for pres amounts - Confirm/Deny?

I thought it was part of compmod, I remember seeing it in your github.
  • xDragonxDragon Join Date: 2012-04-04 Member: 149948Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Whoa that's private stuff, you are not supposed to share our secrets with the community.
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    IronHorse wrote: »
    Mendasp wrote: »
    IronHorse wrote: »
    I'll just shameless plug my idea by leaving it here while it's still relevant.. https://trello.com/c/dbDBnnsA/602-add-optional-alien-peripheral-hud
    That's been in for a while, it's NS1 style bars.
    It hasn't been in, because what was implemented doesn't remotely follow those design guidelines laid out... so basically there's no point in using what is currently implemented as it doesn't accomplish the goal.
    It's large, obscuring and difficult to read imo

Huh? Doesn't remotely follow your design guidelines?
    1032C2D0CE986AA2BE038634B7519D38DBFE854A
    alienHUD.gif

The only design goal I would agree that it doesn't meet is the ease of it being read, and then only for the armor bar on the side. I would love for you to elaborate on why your concept is so much better than what was implemented months ago.

• MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    - Updated for Build 270.
    - Added team average Hive skill to the scoreboard. Off by default. Servers can enable it by typing "sv_plus showavgteamskill true" in console or modifying NS2PlusServerConfig.json.
    - Added pages to console help for NS2+ commands.
  • GibsGibs Join Date: 2013-09-25 Member: 188455Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Diamond, Subnautica Playtester
    sebb wrote: »
    Have you actually paid any attention to the damage indicators? They are terrible.

Yes I have paid attention to them, and yes they are terrible. Regardless, I am still surprised that turts had played so many hours without noticing them. This is not because I think they are good, but because I personally noticed them within the first few hours of playing the game.
  • turtsmcgurtturtsmcgurt Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165456Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited November 2014
    Gibs wrote: »
    sebb wrote: »
    Have you actually paid any attention to the damage indicators? They are terrible.

Yes I have paid attention to them, and yes they are terrible. Regardless, I am still surprised that turts had played so many hours without noticing them. This is not because I think they are good, but because I personally noticed them within the first few hours of playing the game.

As I said in my second post, I misunderstood what my friend meant by "the sides turn red". I thought he meant that the actual sides of your screens turned red like many games do now, not the position directional indicators near the center.
  • d4rkAlfd4rkAlf Sweden Join Date: 2013-11-12 Member: 189309Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    The "Overview Transparency" slider is inverted. A value of 100 should mean the the overview map is fully transparent, instead it is opaque. And a value of 0 means the map should be opaque, but instead it is fully transparent.

The easiest fix is probably to rename the slider to "Overview Opacity" since the numbers will make sense then. Or you could invert the slider values.

The "Location Transparency" slider suffers from the same problem.
    d4rkAlf wrote: »
    The "Overview Transparency" slider is inverted. A value of 100 should mean the the overview map is fully transparent, instead it is opaque. And a value of 0 means the map should be opaque, but instead it is fully transparent.

The easiest fix is probably to rename the slider to "Overview Opacity" since the numbers will make sense then. Or you could invert the slider values.

The "Location Transparency" slider suffers from the same problem.

You're right, internally I'm calling the options locationalpha and minimapalpha, but when I gave them the option name I chose transparency because alpha may confuse people, I've changed it to opacity for the next patch.
    I fixed an issue with the initial pres for Commanders because the original function changed in vanilla and I didn't even know about it :D
  • NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    edited November 2014
    Mendasp wrote: »
    I fixed an issue with the initial pres for Commanders because the original function changed in vanilla and I didn't even know about it :D

Ah, so it was YOU!
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Sounds like mendasp is working so hard on ns2+ that he missed something changing with ns2.
  • MephillesMephilles Germany Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186634Members, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    we had that issue yesterday on a pub server. So it's eithr not fixed yet or this server run with an old version of ns2+
  • SupaFredSupaFred Join Date: 2013-03-03 Member: 183652Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    @Mephilles‌ It's not possible to run an old version of ns2+ so the problem must still be there.
  • OtsOts Join Date: 2003-07-30 Member: 18577Members, Constellation
    What otherwise seemed to be impossible, is made possible by the almighty @Mendasp.
    SupaFred wrote: »
    @Mephilles‌ It's not possible to run an old version of ns2+ so the problem must still be there.
    HBZ rolls up a few mods into a big one, so it is possible that it is outdated there.

In console, on join, you can see the NS2+ version, it has to be 227.
  • SupaFredSupaFred Join Date: 2013-03-03 Member: 183652Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    I didn't know that Mendasp. I think however that Mephilles is referring to my server since we talked about it last night while playing on it. I run the regular NS2+ mod and that one is always updated.
  • CalegoCalego Join Date: 2013-01-24 Member: 181848Members, NS2 Map Tester
    Any chance of putting in a "skill" column in the scoreboard? Would be really nice for Captains servers and sometimes it's nice to know.
  • remiremi remedy [blu.knight] Join Date: 2003-11-18 Member: 23112Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester
    edited November 2014
    Calego wrote: »
    Any chance of putting in a "skill" column in the scoreboard? Would be really nice for Captains servers and sometimes it's nice to know.
    Never! :D

• MigeMige Join Date: 2005-03-19 Member: 45796Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited November 2014
    Is there any command to use vanilla scoreboard? Nice work but that vanilla was better for my 1920*1080 resolution :-/
    Mige wrote: »
    Is there any command to use vanilla scoreboard? Nice work but that vanilla was better for my 1920*1080 resolution :-/

What do you prefer from the vanilla scoreboard? All you get at that resolution is lots of wasted space after the Ping column and lots of wasted space between player name and status...
  • turtsmcgurtturtsmcgurt Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165456Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited November 2014
    i notice that a lot of people do not know the ranges of crags and shifts, whether it's because they don't command much or just never pay attention to it or whatever. i try to tell people "hey, you can use this crag through the wall!", but more people than not ignore me and sprint to the crag to stand directly on top of it potentially giving up map awareness. so i was wondering, what about adding some type of visible buff icon similar to mobas/mmos, on the side of your screen or something. as long as you can disable it in the settings (although I don't know why you would, assuming it isn't in the middle of the screen or somewhere dumb blinding you), I don't see any problems with it.

new icons wouldn't even be necessary, just rescale the preexisting crag and shift icons.
  • bp2008bp2008 Join Date: 2012-11-28 Member: 173581Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    I never noticed how much wasted space the vanilla scoreboard had until I saw this compact little thing in the center of my 2560x1440 screen. And boy does it ever point out how poorly the space was used at 2560x1440.

I'm not sure yet what I think of it. I appreciate that the NS2+ scoreboard doesn't waste space, but I think I liked the larger margins between the number columns in the vanilla scoreboard. I'm sure I could get used to the more compact format, but it will take some time.

Have you tried a layout that moves the scoreboard segments towards the edges of the screen so the center is clear? This would be really nice for checking the scoreboard mid-game, I think.

One other thing. The smaller scoreboard is slightly incompatible with TGNS servers which have extra content on each line of the scoreboard. Between the player name and the score we have up to 3 buttons and 8 characters of customizable text for captains-game planning. When a player has max badges and a long name, we end up with overlapping text here. Not your problem, I know, but just mentioning that.

• BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Please make an option to have the kill feed on TOP of the black screen when you die. I hate missing stuff. "did you get him? did you get him?"
  • MigeMige Join Date: 2005-03-19 Member: 45796Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited November 2014
    bp2008 wrote: »
    I never noticed how much wasted space the vanilla scoreboard had until I saw this compact little thing in the center of my 2560x1440 screen. And boy does it ever point out how poorly the space was used at 2560x1440.

I'm not sure yet what I think of it. I appreciate that the NS2+ scoreboard doesn't waste space, but I think I liked the larger margins between the number columns in the vanilla scoreboard. I'm sure I could get used to the more compact format, but it will take some time.

Have you tried a layout that moves the scoreboard segments towards the edges of the screen so the center is clear? This would be really nice for checking the scoreboard mid-game, I think.
    Couple screenshots, 1920x1080 resolution
    4C5588AE058826E4C12D0AD9589665834B05692F
    921F1CFFEF958ABD4A280D6C7C194D96944748D4

First problem is the numbers they are too close/compact vs vanilla. With that wasted space I see numbers instantly, now there is alien names which are to close, so I need to watch that scoreboard more than usually. That wasted space is fine for fast looking (I know that there is people who constantly just look their stats which was quite normal in NS1), if you want you can squeeze a little and make more transparent or give option to use vanilla. I think I´m minority but I prefer that vanilla for fast and easy numbers look. NS2+ board is great for lower resolution thats for sure. For bigger resolution than full hd both have own problems while 4K DSR Full HD (Steam resized those images but NS2+ is too compact and vanilla is small and have a lot wasted space :) ):
    With extra screenshot from NS1
    2048x1152.resizedimage
    2048x1152.resizedimage
    1C8B978E707AB1B360AA324838A33004ABA085B3

edited November 2014
    BeigeAlert wrote: »
    Please make an option to have the kill feed on TOP of the black screen when you die. I hate missing stuff. "did you get him? did you get him?"
    Why would it be an option? It should be on top... that's a bug.
    Mige wrote: »
    bp2008 wrote: »

Couple screenshots, 1920x1080 resolution
    4C5588AE058826E4C12D0AD9589665834B05692F
    921F1CFFEF958ABD4A280D6C7C194D96944748D4

First problem is the numbers they are too close/compact vs vanilla. With that wasted space I see instantly numbers, now there is alien names which are to close, so I need to watch that scoreboard more than usually. That wasted space is fine for fast looking (I know that there is people who constantly just look their stats which was quite normal in NS1), if you want you can squeeze a little and make more transparent or give option to use vanilla. I think I´m minority but I prefer that vanilla for fast and easy numbers look. NS2+ board is great for lower resolution thats for sure. For bigger resolution than full hd both have own problems while 4K DSR Full HD (Steam resized those images but NS2+ is too compact and vanilla is small and have a lot wasted space :) ):
    With extra screenshot from NS1
    2048x1152.resizedimage
    2048x1152.resizedimage
    1C8B978E707AB1B360AA324838A33004ABA085B3

I can adjust the width depending on res, that shouldn't be too hard, but ultimately, the true solution is to make the scoreboard scale properly depending on res, I might have a go at this and if it's less painful than expected I will give it a go, but no promises :P

The reason why I did these changes is that it fixes the scoreboard for everyone including very low resolutions in a relatively simple way without having to rewrite the whole thing. Although I have a number of ideas on how I'd want the scoreboard to work, etc. I might give that a go.
  • remiremi remedy [blu.knight] Join Date: 2003-11-18 Member: 23112Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester
    I liked the American size scoreboard. :)
  • d4rkAlfd4rkAlf Sweden Join Date: 2013-11-12 Member: 189309Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    Could you add statistics for mines? E.g. how many you planted, how many mine kills you got and how many of your mines that got destroyed. It would be really interesting to know.