What is truly "alien"

SquiddapultSquiddapult Canada Join Date: 2014-10-25 Member: 199111Members
The thing im truly most excited for in subnautica is every single creature (Probably not alone on that), and the wicked alien-ness of all of them. Most if not all of the creatures in the game already are hitting that note perfectly, and im excited to start seeing jellyfish-like creatures.

When we think of alien animals, we tend to immediately grab thoughts relating to creatures we would see deep in the ocean, and its a great place to take inspiration from, but we tend to forget, as alien as they may be, it still is our ocean. http://www.jlambus.com/SHOP/Blackwater/i-Fgjz4X4 These photographs do an amazing job of showing how non-earthlike almost every single one of these creatures are; they all look perfectly alien, yet they arent. I think its important to see just how far you can go with new ideas, to see what works and what might make people say "Well that doesnt? does it?" and using both of them because what we cant come up with (easily) is what truly is alien.

tl;dr just remember alien lookin' deep sea creatures on earth aint alien

Comments

• Sir_zinoSir_zino England Join Date: 2014-10-09 Member: 198901Members, Reinforced - Supporter
  • MycroftCanadaNSMycroftCanadaNS Halifax Join Date: 2014-11-01 Member: 199263Members
    The thing im truly most excited for in subnautica is every single creature (Probably not alone on that), and the wicked alien-ness of all of them. Most if not all of the creatures in the game already are hitting that note perfectly, and im excited to start seeing jellyfish-like creatures.

When we think of alien animals, we tend to immediately grab thoughts relating to creatures we would see deep in the ocean, and its a great place to take inspiration from, but we tend to forget, as alien as they may be, it still is our ocean. http://www.jlambus.com/SHOP/Blackwater/i-Fgjz4X4 These photographs do an amazing job of showing how non-earthlike almost every single one of these creatures are; they all look perfectly alien, yet they arent. I think its important to see just how far you can go with new ideas, to see what works and what might make people say "Well that doesnt? does it?" and using both of them because what we cant come up with (easily) is what truly is alien.

tl;dr just remember alien lookin' deep sea creatures on earth aint alien

Very nice photo's. In my mind Earth has the most incredible array of alien looking sea creatures, and a great resource to pull from.

Thanks for posting the link Squiddapult. :)