What to do about cheaters and griefers?

SyrchalisSyrchalis Germany Join Date: 2013-12-28 Member: 190998Members
edited November 2014 in NS2 General Discussion
If we notice someone cheating (very obvious when in spectator mode and their crosshairs perfectly lock onto the same polygons on hitboxes every time) and people who reckless grind up nooby servers that are 50 skill levels below them - why is there no easy report function? I literally meet cheaters every 3 games and griefers about 4/5 games.

And the worst part - if you kick them they can just join again. Can we at least have a 1 hour ban forced upon players who get kicked? I see kicks VERY rarely and if I see them they are absolutely justified (trolls, cheaters etc.).

Comments

• 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    I'm sure the hax would break w/ every new build. There are really no cheaters in ns2 anymore. I've seen maybe one. Maybe.
  • SyrchalisSyrchalis Germany Join Date: 2013-12-28 Member: 190998Members
    RaZDaZ wrote: »
    He was able to consistently get 3-4 skulks with every rifle mag and instantly able to pick you off as soon as you were slightly visible (before actual human reaction time). At 3 minutes in, he got 40 kills, he soloed the entire team and didn't die once.

Please think before you post.

Thats exactly what I saw just last game. We kicked him and he joined right back in, insulting everyone and 1vs5'ing people who really know how to play.

Please think before you post counts for you too.

Stacked teams are one thing, but a server with 50% legit rookies 40% casual players shouldn't have to deal with 1 life-less veteran who goes 50-0 without cheating, because essentially he might as well cheat.

• NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2014
    You may have seen a cheater but saying you see 3 each game is pure hyperbole. I have seen one cheater and I even recorded in on video. I checked on the old unused website, ns2bans.com and he was already reported. I did report him again none the less. There were 12 total confirmed cheaters with video on ns2bans also, out of how many ns2 players?

"a server with 50% legit rookies 40% casual players shouldn't have to deal with 1 life-less veteran who goes 50-0 without cheating, because essentially he might as well cheat."
    This is really hard to avoid with how small ns2 player base is. As a veteran I do not enjoy those games and I am not even good enough to get 50/0 in any server. What servers are veterans supposed to play on if every server has rookies? Where can rookies go to avoid veterans? People have tried hour limited servers with an 100 hour minimum but they were never popular. Some people have hosted rookie only servers but that requires a lot of admin work.
    Please describe a way to resolve or mediate this issue because we also agree this is an issue. Keep in mind that players of any skill level have a right to play the game too.

As a player with 1400 hours, would you consider me a lifeless veteran? Your post seems to say so. I am a busy student, who also has a job. Overall your posts in this thread are filled with negativity. I ask if you could please be a little more positive.
  • RaZDaZRaZDaZ Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167331Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Syrchalis wrote: »
    He was able to consistently get 3-4 skulks with every rifle mag and instantly able to pick you off as soon as you were slightly visible (before actual human reaction time). At 3 minutes in, he got 40 kills, he soloed the entire team and didn't die once.

Thats exactly what I saw just last game. We kicked him and he joined right back in, insulting everyone and 1vs5'ing people who really know how to play.

Stacked teams are one thing, but a server with 50% legit rookies 40% casual players shouldn't have to deal with 1 life-less veteran who goes 50-0 without cheating, because essentially he might as well cheat.

Did I say there were no cheaters? I said there were no where near as many as you claimed, you might right now jump into a server and find a cheater but you will never, and I repeat, never find 1/3 games consistently in a game with a community this small and a game that is so easy to identify cheaters.

Stacking is going to be a problem and since there aren't that many veteran servers to choose from when there's a new sale on and due to the randomize option now working, stacking is going to be inevitable. I hate it too but I can't think of many solutions that would be fair on everybody and still function well.

I'll say it again, please think before you post.
  • d0ped0gd0ped0g Join Date: 2003-05-25 Member: 16679Members

You may very well have seen that last game. However, if you legitimately experience this every 3 games, then you either live in a parallel universe, or are implausibly unlucky. I think the more likely scenario is that very few, if any, of these people who you suspect of cheating actually cheat. Because this is happening so frequently, it calls into question your ability to distinguish between hackers and people who are simply very good at the game.

In over 2000 hours playing this game, I have only been suspicious enough times to count on one hand. This is well short of the over 6000 times I should have encountered hackers if it actually does happen "every 3 games". I'm not surprised the person in your story insulted everyone, considering he likely wasn't even hacking.

Regarding rookie stomps, people just play on whatever server they can get a slot on.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Answer: You contact that server owner / administrator with the steam id of the user you suspect, (using sv_status in the console to get the ID) as well as provide the video proof you have collected.

As for temp ban options..
  • HoeloeHoeloe Switzerland Join Date: 2014-03-02 Member: 194487Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    I am now at 600h playtime and I maybe saw one cheater, maybe. The other ones are just very good. Normally I am playing on a server with a skillrating mod (collects data of the games and rates your skill overtime). And sometimes we have players with a K/D of 5 or 6... Against Veterans... now let him play against Rookies...
    On this server I have a alien K/D of 0.8, but yesterday on another server I was able to take out 5 Rines as a skulk at one spot cause it were rookies and beginners.
  • AnzestralAnzestral Join Date: 2013-05-21 Member: 185327Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    edited November 2014
    have to deal with 1 life-less veteran who goes 50-0 without cheating

Why does everyone suppose good or veteran players to be lifeless?
    I would count myself as a pretty good player and I have been accused for hacking and cheating uncountable times within the last two years.
    Still I manage to write my PhD thesis, life together with my girlfriend and have several other hobbies. Please stop whining about better players, just because you didn't understand the mechanics of this game. The game is designed so that one marine should be able to kill 2 skulks on his own (if he doesn't have rookie positioning or really bad aim). For a good player it is pretty easy to kill 3-4 pub skulks. This is not the good players but the public skulks fault for simply not understanding that it is a bad idea to engage a marine in a good position with a delay of 1-2 second between the skulks coming at him.

By the way, I haven't seen a single confirmed hacker or cheater in this game.

Edit: Except Eissfeldt ofc :-P
  • SantaClawsSantaClaws Denmark Join Date: 2012-07-31 Member: 154491Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    In 2 years 2000+ hours, I have seen 2 confirmed hackers, suspected one other - but I couldn't investigate him because he was using a smurf so.

I have gotten 40+/0 K/D's in pubs before (even 100+/0 in combat mod lol) and I have never hacked. I usually immediately leave the server once the round is over of course. I have also won 4+ v 1 engagements plenty of times against good players, however they were low on hp before engaging of course. Details are important.

So please do not use K/D's or "5v1" or popular opinion as arguments for hacking. Only video is valid evidence.
  • Maxx11_v2.0Maxx11_v2.0 Join Date: 2012-11-18 Member: 172221Members
    Cheaters every three games... riiiiight.
  • DaveodethDaveodeth Join Date: 2012-11-21 Member: 172717Members
    Anzestral wrote: »
    have to deal with 1 life-less veteran who goes 50-0 without cheating

Why does everyone suppose good or veteran players to be lifeless?
    I would count myself as a pretty good player and I have been accused for hacking and cheating uncountable times within the last two years.
    Still I manage to write my PhD thesis, life together with my girlfriend and have several other hobbies. Please stop whining about better players, just because you didn't understand the mechanics of this game. The game is designed so that one marine should be able to kill 2 skulks on his own (if he doesn't have rookie positioning or really bad aim). For a good player it is pretty easy to kill 3-4 pub skulks. This is not the good players but the public skulks fault for simply not understanding that it is a bad idea to engage a marine in a good position with a delay of 1-2 second between the skulks coming at him.

By the way, I haven't seen a single confirmed hacker or cheater in this game.

Edit: Except Eissfeldt ofc :-P

You tend to find these muppets judge you by thier standards.
  • DaveodethDaveodeth Join Date: 2012-11-21 Member: 172717Members
    This one time I killed an onos with the switchaxe

#haxmeaquestion

I'm sure it was a marty onos, doesn't count. :p
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    There are almost no more cheaters in the game.

Nuff said.
  • NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    @Syrchalis

I've only seen one legit cheaper ever since the game was released. So it's unlikely you'd run into them everywhere, but there are lots and lots of veteran players around though, which undoubtedly could seem like cheaters to new players due to the immense skill gap. Unfortunately this happens everytime there's a sale. Until there are true rookie-only servers set up for these sort of periods, I'm afraid you'll just have to learn the game the hard way. My advice is to check out some servers and stick with whatever seems nice. Most servers have their own sort of playerbase.
  • amoralamoral Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177250Members
    d0ped0g wrote: »

You may very well have seen that last game. However, if you legitimately experience this every 3 games, then you either live in a parallel universe, or are implausibly unlucky. I think the more likely scenario is that very few, if any, of these people who you suspect of cheating actually cheat. Because this is happening so frequently, it calls into question your ability to distinguish between hackers and people who are simply very good at the game.

In over 2000 hours playing this game, I have only been suspicious enough times to count on one hand. This is well short of the over 6000 times I should have encountered hackers if it actually does happen "every 3 games". I'm not surprised the person in your story insulted everyone, considering he likely wasn't even hacking.

Regarding rookie stomps, people just play on whatever server they can get a slot on.

seen 4-5 times over the course of 1500ish hrs. You play enough good players... you can tell when you're dying just a little little little too fast.

amazing players will anticipate and kill you with you know 18-20 bullets. hacking will cut that down to 15-18.

the tracking through walls and snap locking don't help matter either.
  • deathshrouddeathshroud Join Date: 2010-04-10 Member: 71291Members
    edited November 2014
    i once went 58 - 8 with only using a pistol

It isnt an indication of how good i am but how much of huge gap there is between veteran skill and new player skill
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    I once joined a server and everything dieded, even my own team, I only pressed the red button in the command chair.

In all seriousness, I've seen 2 haxors, aimbot+wallhack on marine team back in build 210-ish I think. And an aimbot Skulk, that one didn't work out so well and mostly started spinning in place, but going near that guy was still kinda deadly :D
    IronHorse wrote: »
    Answer: You contact that server owner / administrator with the steam id of the user you suspect, (using sv_status in the console to get the ID) as well as provide the video proof you have collected.

As for temp ban options..
    All that you need in terms of information, just QFE
  • RapGodRapGod Not entirely sure... Join Date: 2013-11-12 Member: 189322Members
    And this is why good players get kicked from servers because of hackusations.
  • HoeloeHoeloe Switzerland Join Date: 2014-03-02 Member: 194487Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    RapGod wrote: »
    And this is why good players get kicked from servers because of hackusations.

I would like to give you a different view: They kick because of rookie farming. ;)
  • Conker_AUConker_AU Australia Join Date: 2013-11-25 Member: 189556Members
    I once went 32-8 using only a welder. Even got a fade...... Skillz that pay the billz
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    ^^^^ would be impressive if welder wasnt OP as balls ;D
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    How about doing that with rifle bash?
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    coolitic wrote: »
    How about doing that with rifle bash?
    I submit the menacing stare as possibility for this challenge!
  • amoralamoral Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177250Members
    edited November 2014
    Conker_AU wrote: »
    I once went 32-8 using only a welder. Even got a fade...... Skillz that pay the billz

My favorite moment, was going after a newish lerk... he knew how to fly at least. Into the hive, with a jetpack welder. I survived the experience... he didn't.
  • GibsGibs Join Date: 2013-09-25 Member: 188455Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Diamond, Subnautica Playtester
    And the worst part - if you kick them they can just join again.

If it troubles you so deeply then why aren't you doing anything about it? Posting on here solves nothing.
    Quit being lazy. Figure out the player's steamid or ns2id (status in console), contact a server admin, send him the id, and tell him to ban the guy.
  • ZeroEarThZeroEarTh Singapore Join Date: 2014-07-01 Member: 197126Members
    Your mistake is like these players :D

AC5F1A38B277496F8CA67D9D50659EB9FC83C152

293A5271784708ED244CF4452597BE351B069968

After that , he say im hacking energy and health ^--^

026CE076B909BE670D6A46353E5BB30F9AE737C6

And countinue to vote kick me , lucky thing is my team vote F2 :))
    41D1CE69C032F130CC61006C884C08F1CFC36963

353D511C0A5543BBF76ABA830B8D880D910EDEE3

So next time you should post evidence or at least some videos of gameplay , before say other people is "hacxor "