Loading screens for custom maps

UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
Hi,

I noticed that we could make our own loading screens. What would be the things to do in order to make sure these pictures are displayed ?

I see a directory tree like this: <mod>/screens/<(1) map name or mod name>/X.jpg

(1): Do we have to give the map name or the mod name ? how can we be sure ?
X.jpg : Do the names have to be 1, 2 3.jpg or can we name it "my_beautiful_loading_screen_0001.jpg" ? Any limitation in the number of pics (1 to 9 for ex) ?

Comments

• MasterGMasterG gmfbst Join Date: 2003-08-24 Member: 20169Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited October 2014
    I haven't done this myself yet for Mineral, but will be doing so in the future. I just took a look at the folder structure for the official maps and every single one of them seems to have 1/2/3/4 as file names. So I guess that's what is needed for it to work. Also it makes sense that the folder should be the map name, including the ns_ suffix, because that's what the game probably will look for when loading a map.

If you happen to try it with different file names, report back if it works. I would like to know as I like to name my files with names that tells me what the file is. If fancy supernames don't work though that's probably just fine as the images will be located in a dedicated folder.
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong... but this doesn't actually work... does it? Something to do with the order the mods are loaded, by the time the loading screen could be displayed, the loading is already done. Could have sworn I heard something like that a while back...
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited October 2014
    I can get you the source psd for this if you want it. Loading screens are loaded but late into the load, but this game loads slow so people will likely see them all.
    It's screens/ns2_map_name/1- infinity.jpg
    PS...have fun making and updating these, they are a massive PITA to make and keep updated.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    There are loading screens for GorgeCraft, unfortunately you never see them if you run the game as a workshop mod. I get to see them when testing the mod locally, but the loading screen files are loaded before the main menu, thus get loaded before the mod is added. I was looking at fixing this for GC, but never got around to re-writing the loading code.
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    SamusDroid wrote: »
    I can get you the source psd for this if you want it. Loading screens are loaded but late into the load, but this game loads slow so people will likely see them all.
    PS...have fun making and updating these, they are a massive PITA to make and keep updated.

I don't use PS. I'm a GIMPer. Don't worry i got my routine (industrialized) to make these screens. I wouldn't if i couldn't. Let's just say i know my way around.

Could you be more specific : Map name as filename (.level) or map name as mod name ?

Other questions :

A1 Anything to force loading these first (usually Biodome screens comes up first) ?

I usually see 4 images showing the same location (ie: position, angle) with 4 levels of infestation.
    B1 : I don't believe it's a rule but is it the standard for NS2 official maps (as Kodiak do it like this too) ?
    B2 : Is UWE used the cinematic editor for making these ? (probably yes).
  • MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    The screens won't load unless the user has mounted the mod before joining the server because the loading screen looks for the screens before the game mounts the server mods... I reported this a while ago.
  • MasterGMasterG gmfbst Join Date: 2003-08-24 Member: 20169Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited October 2014
    Maybe the CDT could look into fixing that so the loading screen looks for loading screens when the map is starting to load? That would make a lot more sense as well.
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited October 2014

I don't use PS. I'm a GIMPer. Don't worry i got my routine (industrialized) to make these screens. I wouldn't if i couldn't. Let's just say i know my way around.

Could you be more specific : Map name as filename (.level) or map name as mod name ?

Other questions :

A1 Anything to force loading these first (usually Biodome screens comes up first) ?

I usually see 4 images showing the same location (ie: position, angle) with 4 levels of infestation.
    B1 : I don't believe it's a rule but is it the standard for NS2 official maps (as Kodiak do it like this too) ?
    B2 : Is UWE used the cinematic editor for making these ? (probably yes).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4mfk0t7pxc83dmc/LoadingScreen_Tram.psd?dl=0
    screens/ns2_kodiak/1-4.jpg. Starts at 1 goes through how many you have.
    If you don't want to make them, or can't, then send me an overview image and whatever screens you want in order from 1 to however many you have.

A1: No
    B1: 1 spot, 4 levels of progression
    B2: Definitely not
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos

@SamusDroid‌ : If you subscribe to "outer rim ark". It's already in the directories (01 to 10.jpg). It's my own version.

B2 : So... how did they do it ? If I can do this on my own. I'd like to try.
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    edited October 2014
    @SamusDroid‌ : If you subscribe to "outer rim ark". It's already in the directories (01 to 10.jpg). It's my own version.

Get a friend to join up in multiplayer, and you drop stuff as commander to make the loading screen progression. If they bump their mouse, skin them alive and submerge them in lemon juice.
    BeigeAlert wrote: »

Get a friend to join up in multiplayer, and you drop stuff as commander to make the loading screen progression. If they bump their mouse, skin them alive and submerge them in lemon juice.

Beige helped me with the original kodiak until I accidentally held down shift (PTT) too long therefore turning stickykeys on and minimizing the game, therefore moving the camera when alt tabbing back in. I created the Eclipse ones alone somehow...
    BeigeAlert wrote: »

Beige helped me with the original kodiak until I accidentally held down shift (PTT) too long therefore turning stickykeys on and minimizing the game, therefore moving the camera when alt tabbing back in. I created the Eclipse ones alone somehow...

Those were taken in Surface Access. The ones in the loading screen now must've been taken later, but I wasn't around for those ones.

So basically there's no special tool nor artistic approach required.
    Only to comply to naming convention (map name) for folders.
    So we have to wait for this to be fixed as it is in the trello.
  • PelargirPelargir Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185857Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Forum staff
    That'd be awesome to get proper loading screens for custom maps. I mean, there are plenty of them that are often used on many servers and the regular artworks (even if those are cool) get boring after watching them so many times. Make it happen please.
  • [AwE]Sentinel[AwE]Sentinel Join Date: 2012-06-05 Member: 152949Members
    Btw, what happend to the workshop preview pictures? Was working fine before the editor "update", but ever since I don't get them to work the normal way o.O