The ecosystem of subnautica.

Sir_zinoSir_zino England Join Date: 2014-10-09 Member: 198901Members, Reinforced - Supporter
So far subnautica looks like it could be come something amazing. But i wanted to ask if there was going to be an ecosystem something like coral survives using sunlight. peeper survives by eating coral. stalker survives by eating peepers. This game is already going to be a amazing experience but i thought this would add to the world seeming like it was alive.

Comments

• HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Tweeting at @Flayra‌ to get him in here - He's been working on ecosystem stuff...
  • Sir_zinoSir_zino England Join Date: 2014-10-09 Member: 198901Members, Reinforced - Supporter
  • FlayraFlayra Game Director, Unknown Worlds Entertainment San Francisco Join Date: 2002-01-22 Member: 3Super Administrators, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer
    I hope so!

I've been working a lot on this and it's not an easy thing to incorporate into an open-world game. We don't want the game to spiral out of control just because you knifed some coral at your starting area. But very excited about having temperature affect currents, dead creatures affect nutrient levels, etc.
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    Personally, i wouldn't mind EVERYTHING going out of control if i wandered and went "i wonder what this might break if i stabbeth it to death".

..."hardcore mode", please.
  • Sir_zinoSir_zino England Join Date: 2014-10-09 Member: 198901Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited October 2014
    Yes! Exactly what i want! I.NEED.SUBNAUTICA. Unknown worlds you are geniuses!
  • slayer.faithslayer.faith Join Date: 2007-12-10 Member: 63127Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    You'd just need to put some limits on the system crunching it...

ie,
    if tile.coral<0: tile.coral=.1

to make sure the system would not go toooo crazy. You'd want it to be 'damaged' and need to be repaired, but not trigger off a collapse of the whole ecosystem.

Check out the link to how victoria2 simulates population groups: here

that seems detailed enough but easy enough to do in a tile level (replace Laborers with seaweed, Farmers with fish, Clergy with sharks etc... so each group feeds the ones above it and feeds on the ones below or something).