Real time lighting

Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
Screenshots and discussion seem to be pointing to this getting closer, and the water refraction looks awesome. This is the point where the game goes from looking ok to starting to look great. (I'm wondering if this was the main cause for the perf drop in the latest build, although I'd assume that a minspec config would leave lighting off).

Comments

• Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    edited October 2014
    That shot is actually how the game has looked for a long time, nothing special going on there, at least nothing that was recently done. We are doing more work on the lighting side, but it isn't the cause of any recent performance drop, and I'm not actually sure what you are referring to with that. In general performance has been going up substantially
  • Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
    My mistake. I was just comparing that shot to what I had seen in other publicly available shows. Thanks for the clarification.

P.S. I had been looking at the Oct 6 perf post, which I now realize must have had the wrong build names in the key (because it is otherwise exactly the same as what you linked to).
  • LumpNLumpN Join Date: 2002-10-30 Member: 1725Members, Subnautica Developer
    edited October 2014
    Racer1 wrote: »
    P.S. I had been looking at the Oct 6 perf post, which I now realize must have had the wrong build names in the key (because it is otherwise exactly the same as what you linked to).

LOL! This would make the perfect fake statistics joke. Just reuse the same chart and replace the labels at your convenience depending on what you want to convey. B-) I blame the guy from marketing ;)

Edit: Cory's chart is correct.