Custom weapon animations in NS2?

-WildBill--WildBill- Join Date: 2009-07-20 Member: 68196Members
<div class="IPBDescription">Making custom anims for NS2 with 3DS Max</div>Hey, I haven't really posted here before but I lurk from time to time. I want to buy NS2 but here's my dilema: I'm kind of in a pinch for money right now so I don't want to spend much on games. However, the deciding factor for me buying this game will be if it will have some support for creating custom weapon animations (the ones you see in the first person view while playing). I do weapon animations for Source Engine games and I'm looking to build my portfolio. Creating custom weapon animations for NS2 would be fantastic for me, and hopefully plenty of other players would be able to enjoy what I make too.

I know there are a lot of tools for getting content from Source Engine games into 3DS Max, and vice versa, so will there be similar support for NS2? And it seems like NS2 is very modder-friendly for most other aspects of the game as well, so I would think weapon animations would be included too. If not then it's no biggie, but any help yall might have would be great. Thanks in advance!

Comments

• GISPGISP Battle Gorge Denmark Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27460Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester, Forum staff
    I believe you can do that in the cinematics thingy UWE released along whit all the other tools...
    on a sidenote, i dont think you ever find a more moding friendly game then NS2.
  • TSSTSS Join Date: 2010-05-11 Member: 71716Members
    edited June 2010
    3ds max seems to be the main tool for this game, though blender is spoken off often as a good backup. There's a 3ds max exporter plugin that comes with the tools, and even though it doesn't work for me (running 3ds max 2011 64 bit), the standard autodesk collada exporter does work (with editing paths in the file, it's not clean but it does work).

Physics as far as i've heard is a collision mesh, but there's no documentation on getting custom animations or physics ingame (specifically what we need to do to have them compile correctly) and i haven;t gotten around to messing with that yet :p So at the moment where restricted to static models without collisions. But where also in pre-alpha phase, at the moment.

Look through <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=109382" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...howtopic=109382</a> if your interested, it's where i posted my progress when i tried getting a model ingame.

Animation wise, besides there beeing no info on how to get anything ingame as of yet we do know there are animation overlays that are supported (animations playing ontop of animations) and sequences, which are basically multiple animations for the same thing. So for your paticular interest, you could make 3 custom reload animations for the same gun, and ingame each reload the game will pick a random (or next, i dunno) animation.

In general modding capabilities, the game probably rivals half life 1. It can be modded extensively, the tools for that are already released, and it's easy as hell to do so.
  • -WildBill--WildBill- Join Date: 2009-07-20 Member: 68196Members
    edited June 2010
    Thanks for the replies! I haven't looked into the modding tools developed for the game much, but from the looks of things NS2 is very modder-friendly. It seems promising that custom animations will soon be possible but I think I may just have to wait to see how developed the modding community gets and see how easy it is to make custom animations. Does anyone know for sure how the engine interprets animations? I'm sure it's skeleton-based, like most games these days, but I'm just wondering if anyone knows if it'll be a little more complicated or not. If someone knows how to decompile NS2 content and get it into a format that Max can use, and knows how to get it back into the game, then I can do the rest (arm rigs, etc). I'll hold off on buying the game for now until things get clearer (but I'm sure I'll end up getting it some day soon lol). Thanks a bunch!
  • KKyleKKyle Michigan Join Date: 2005-07-01 Member: 55067Members
    -WildBill- wrote: »
    If someone knows how to decompile NS2 content and get it into a format that Max can use, and knows how to get it back into the game

This would be nice.

• BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    KKyle wrote: »
    -WildBill- wrote: »
    If someone knows how to decompile NS2 content and get it into a format that Max can use, and knows how to get it back into the game

This would be nice.

You necro'd a thread from over 4 years ago to say that?

Also: http://dev.cra0kalo.com/?p=103
  • KKyleKKyle Michigan Join Date: 2005-07-01 Member: 55067Members
    Editing animation_graph does nothing to modify the reload animations, nor does that link provide any help.
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    KKyle wrote: »
    Editing animation_graph does nothing to modify the reload animations, nor does that link provide any help.

Well...it depends what you are trying to do...
    And if you ever need source files to something you could just ask and depending on what it is I could give them to you.
  • Anti_BosonAnti_Boson Join Date: 2013-07-03 Member: 185878Members
    Would writing a guide to getting custom assets from model to in-game even be worth it now?

• SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited September 2014
    Anti_Boson wrote: »
    Would writing a guide to getting custom assets from model to in-game even be worth it now?
    There are some guides on how to do this already. It is relatively simple provided you have the right tools, which is most people's problem.
    http://unknownworlds.com/ns2/ns2-custom-model-importing-guide-2/