Explosives

Comments

• RapGodRapGod Not entirely sure... Join Date: 2013-11-12 Member: 189322Members
    I agree on pulse nades needing a buff.. I just get nerve gas because a lot of people don't notice their armor lowering, or it holds them back to get that armor back. It's also kind of a warning weapon because you can throw it around corners and your cross hair will show if they are there getting attacked.
  • CalegoCalego Join Date: 2013-01-24 Member: 181848Members, NS2 Map Tester
    I could see Pulse grenades effecting energy somehow. I the numbers would need to be balanced but sapping energy like the old MAC ability no one used could be a very nice little package. Energy regen could be affected too but that's one of the things the flamer does, might not want to encroach on that.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Calego wrote: »
    I could see Pulse grenades effecting energy somehow. I the numbers would need to be balanced but sapping energy like the old MAC ability no one used could be a very nice little package. Energy regen could be affected too but that's one of the things the flamer does, might not want to encroach on that.
    Say the pulse grenade was really strong and sapped 90% of your energy but did not affect regen. Lerks and especially fades would have a really hard time escaping and could be easily picked off if marines were coordinated. If weaker and took 50% it would really only affect the fade because 50% energy is plenty for most aliens with normal regen. If you go much higher it would hit fade a lot harder than everything else.

If you do both sap energy and slow regen it would be more effective against all life forms and not OP on fades.

I think flamethrowers need a buff too. Flames are like explosions right? Increase the rate at which damage is given but not the damage number itself. A mere 15% more would be enough. Right now a 25 pres flamethrower has about a 50/50 shot surviving a 0 pres skulk in 1 on 1. I think 15% more dps would be enough to tip the balance in a marines favor without making it OP in other situations.
    Flames are not like explosives. It's not meant for 1 on 1 encounters. It's for support. It nullifies bile bomb, gas, umbra, some passive abilities of structure, and saps energy while damaging the enemy.
  • CalegoCalego Join Date: 2013-01-24 Member: 181848Members, NS2 Map Tester
    Yeah flamers are fine, just not used much. We tend to prefer to kill things rather than disable them. But they have a very well defined role and I think any changes are unnecessary. The biggest thing with flamers is that most of what they do is "hidden", not really intuitive or easy to figure out.

I kinda like pulse grenades being Fade Killers. Sapping a high amount of energy, but leaving regen alone.

What if they simply make every action cost more energy? So things just run out quicker on their own? Or is that basically removing the energy regen?
  • twilitebluetwiliteblue bug stalker Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13116Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited September 2014
    Hand Grenades are almost overpowered for the versatility they provide against all three alien tech branches. If only people use them more often.

Gas Grenade strips Skulk armor rapidly, while doubling as a cheap Scan by uncloaking aliens; Pulse Grenades helps new players killing fast moving Skulks and Lerks; Cluster Grenades flush out Skulks hiding behind structures and destroy Clogs.

Grenades are low cost, early game tools. They are not meant to be all-powerful against everything.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    A flamethrower is a support weapon but is either too expensive or not strong enough against aliens themselves. You would be more of an asset with a shotgun than a flamethrower in all situations except at least a 6 man hive rush. You need 5 other players around you to distract marines so you're not a big flaming glowing easily killed target.

Shouldn't a 25 pres weapon be able to defend itself to at least a skulk and be able to deter not kill lerks and fades if in smaller groups? It can not do this right now. Believe me, I try to make it work because I know how strong it is in taking out a hive. I will find myself on 1 on 1 situations sometimes. I do not seek them out, but if I am caught in one shouldn't I be able to kill a single 0 pres skulk. Even with a jetpack flamethrower it is hard to kill a skulk.
    james888 wrote: »
    A flamethrower is a support weapon but is either too expensive or not strong enough against aliens themselves. You would be more of an asset with a shotgun than a flamethrower in all situations except at least a 6 man hive rush. You need 5 other players around you to distract marines so you're not a big flaming glowing easily killed target.

Shouldn't a 25 pres weapon be able to defend itself to at least a skulk and be able to deter not kill lerks and fades if in smaller groups? It can not do this right now. Believe me, I try to make it work because I know how strong it is in taking out a hive. I will find myself on 1 on 1 situations sometimes. I do not seek them out, but if I am caught in one shouldn't I be able to kill a single 0 pres skulk. Even with a jetpack flamethrower it is hard to kill a skulk.

It s possible to kill at least a couple skulks with a solo flamethrower. Should a gler be able to handle that same scenario? Yes, a shotgun is better against lifeforms, as it should be. The flamethrower is meant to protect the team from gas, umbra, bile bomb, and some structures passive ability (and kill cysts). On top of that, it can be mobile (JP) while hurting and taking energy from aliens.

You left the topic about it being an explosion. Not a flamethrower thread.
    edited September 2014
    RapGod wrote: »

It s possible to kill at least a couple skulks with a solo flamethrower. Should a gler be able to handle that same scenario? Yes, a shotgun is better against lifeforms, as it should be. The flamethrower is meant to protect the team from gas, umbra, bile bomb, and some structures passive ability (and kill cysts). On top of that, it can be mobile (JP) while hurting and taking energy from aliens.

You left the topic about it being an explosion. Not a flamethrower thread.

Flames are a sustained explosion of a gas in mid air.

A gl should be able to handle a skulk in a 1v1 scenario. Gl cost res. Skulk did not. Flamethrowers cost a lot of res and have a slim chance of killing an equal skilled skulk who cost 0 pres. I am not asking for the flamethrower to be good at killing life forms, but be good enough to defend itself from one equal skilled skulk with good odds.
    Hand Grenades are almost overpowered for the versatility they provide against all three alien tech branches. If only people use them more often.

Gas Grenade strips Skulk armor rapidly, while doubling as a cheap Scan by uncloaking aliens; Pulse Grenades helps new players killing fast moving Skulks and Lerks; Cluster Grenades flush out Skulks hiding behind structures and destroy Clogs.

Grenades are low cost, early game tools. They are not meant to be all-powerful against everything.
    No one is asking for all powerful. We are just commenting on pulse grenade has low utility and brainstorming what purpose might serve it better. Pulse grenade sounds great on paper but in practice is not great and could be served better possibly by another function.
    Gas and cluster are great as is and no one has suggested they be changed.
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter

Couldn't agree more.

You forget with nerve gas too, that structures have a significant amount of their HP made of armor.
    Throw nerve gas. Wait for armor to die. Kill whips in one rifle mag. Kill tunnels in 1 rifle mag. Kill harvesters in like 2 rifle mags.

On veil, before arcing nano I will always try to get my marines to take it out using hand grenades first. They cost like 30+ less Tres than robo/arcrobo/arcs, a more or less insignificant amount of Pres, and do the job faster than arcs.

But when I play comp mod servers, I still see commanders buying arcs and refusing to get hand grenades, and it makes no sense to me.
  • RaZDaZRaZDaZ Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167331Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Hand nades I find aren't too flexible but they are powerful in the right situations but not really OP. They crush crag and gorge bases and make hive pushing easier while also weakening alien pushes. They're a res sink but if they were any more expensive then they would be useless and any less expensive they would be absurdly OP.

Clusters are fine, they deal decent damage and are excellent early game vs gorge bases.
    Gas is easily the most powerful. Good all round.
    Pulse probably need some type of buff as they seem nearly useless. Gas do more in every situation other than direct hitting lifeforms.
  • KungFuJVKungFuJV Join Date: 2003-04-03 Member: 15167Members
    If you made pulse drain energy, please make it drain from the current total energy and not max total energy.

Draining more than 50% max total would completely demolish fades.
  • SaltlickSaltlick Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177347Members, Reinforced - Shadow

May I suggest a flamethrower "poof" a la TF2? But seriously, perhaps a bash secondary on the heavy weapons might be enough to at least defend yourself until you can get to safety. Heavier weapon means a longer "reload" for the bash, so it would have to be timed effectively because you'd only get one chance.

• AnkleBitingKittyAnkleBitingKitty United States Join Date: 2014-01-19 Member: 193284Members
    edited September 2014
    Saltlick wrote: »

May I suggest a flamethrower "poof" a la TF2? But seriously, perhaps a bash secondary on the heavy weapons might be enough to at least defend yourself until you can get to safety. Heavier weapon means a longer "reload" for the bash, so it would have to be timed effectively because you'd only get one chance.

I don't think a bash would be a good solution, The rifle bash IMO doesn't need to be in the game. Why should a weapon that with you want to keep distance between you and the skulk or whatever have a bash have that does only a tiny bit of damage, and you can use a pistol to finish the guy off too.

I also think having a melee attack for the AA weapons would make a difference either. Even with a GL where you cant do much when a skulk is next to you, you still have your pistol, and that's the consequence of using a Gl, you can't defend yourself well when a skulk closes the distance, and that's because it is a weapon your supposed to be using with teammates to defend you. With Flamethrower, you can always switch to pistol and if the skulks armour is down he should die pretty quickly.

• cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    edited September 2014
    Personally, I think nerve gas could receive a small nerf, either in a reduction of duration or reduction of damage. I also think pulse grenades should receive a small buff in terms of energy.
  • AnkleBitingKittyAnkleBitingKitty United States Join Date: 2014-01-19 Member: 193284Members
    edited September 2014
    Calego wrote: »
    Yeah flamers are fine, just not used much. We tend to prefer to kill things rather than disable them. But they have a very well defined role and I think any changes are unnecessary. The biggest thing with flamers is that most of what they do is "hidden", not really intuitive or easy to figure out.

I kinda like pulse grenades being Fade Killers. Sapping a high amount of energy, but leaving regen alone.

What if they simply make every action cost more energy? So things just run out quicker on their own? Or is that basically removing the energy regen?
    I like the idea of making aliens use extra energy for everything they do. I Think it would be good to prevent some lifeform like a fade all of a sudden have no energy, but it would make something have a chance to get out, as soon as theyre hit they will still have energy to maybe get away but if they use too much on the way out or already were low they might get caught. This would be good for detering lifeforms for doing much before they are forced to leave or they will get caught with no energy, and also when marines have Jps, they can use it to chase after a useally mobile very mobile target, like fades and lerks lerks which wont have much energy to maneuver away, and onos might not have charge so you could chase em better.

No regen would be OP though. If a fade or lerk was hit by one at low energy the fade would have to walk back to base (definetly dead) and the lerk would have to only glide (Likely dead)

coolitic wrote: »
    Personally, I think nerve gas could receive a small nerf, either in a reduction of duration or reduction of damage. I also think pulse grenades should receive a small buff in terms of energy.

Noooo then I can't tell people to stock up on op nerve gas! (Not sarcastic lol )
  • ruprechtruprecht Join Date: 2013-03-16 Member: 184022Members
    make pulse grenades perform a nano shield
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    You would not believe how annoying nerve gas can be when it's forward base vs forward base.
    edited September 2014
    coolitic wrote: »
    You would not believe how annoying nerve gas can be when it's forward base vs forward base.

Oh, I do. I'm that guy leading any charge with only nade in hand lol respawn, repeat (I play the game for fun n to get the team to win - not so much just me).
  • CRaZyCAT_RusCRaZyCAT_Rus Russia Join Date: 2013-10-31 Member: 188899Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited October 2014
    Okay, I had read this thread and sincerely wondered that nobody suggests what I am thinking about it. Okay...

The only REAL problem voiced in this topic is that some skilled people frustrating when they gonna pass the corner and randomly killed by nades that totally not destined to kill them.
    I extremely love GL it is my favorite weapon in NS2 since last days. I often buy it during the game including competive games. The fact is that if I am firing nades on lifeform it destined to lifeform and if I firing nades on structures it destined to structures. And let this fade go to hell if he willn't die after 3/4 ****ing nades I had slamed through him on 9-minute game! (fade must get 2 nades + some pistol shots to die whithout cara and biomass) That's why I am totally against decreasing GL damage. It is senseless clipping the marine's scopes.

But I know there are situations in public games when some no-skilled players spamming nades on hive or others alien PvE points and "OOOPSSS" the poor "top" lerk just ate two of them - "WHAT I'VE DONE YEEEEEAH", I ****ing hate it. I know perfect and simple solution that doesn't hurt my love for GL. You must implement the two types of grenades: "anti-lifeform" grenade (Left Mouse Button) and "anti-structure" grenade (Right Mouse Button). "Anti-structure" grenade will bounce from lifeforms and explode on structures. "Anti-lifeform" nades will bounce from strictures and explode on lifeforms. As well you must do "anti-lifeform" nades Normal damage type and decrease its radius a bit to avoid using them against structures. Also you can decrease "anti-structure" nades lifeform damage if you want, I don't care.

So, if rookies will spam "anti-structure" grenades on hive, they willn't able to kill lifeforms effectively. But, if they will spam "anti-lifeform" grenades in this way, well, they deserve a kill. It is not just "pure dumb luck", it seems to be deliberate. And don't tell me that lifeforms unable to avoid such nades using theirs ears. Lifeform must afraid sounds of GL because there are only 4 nades in the clip and VEEERY long reloading.

Also, I like the idea highlighting of GL rounds. Moreover it would be great to do nades more hearable when it bouncing. But I'm against make projectiles seen through walls - it is unfair. I'm often shooting nades to lifeforms that I cannot see using my map.
  • develdevel Join Date: 2014-09-13 Member: 198444Members
    Oh, I do. I'm that guy leading any charge with only nade in hand lol respawn, repeat (I play the game for fun n to get the team to win - not so much just me).

Expendable marine tactic. No need to aim, good for defense as well as for offense.

Onoses on pubs are usually running from just one cluster nade. Mostly because of an awesome explosion animation.
  • DaveodethDaveodeth Join Date: 2012-11-21 Member: 172717Members
    @IronHorse pointed this out to me earlier.
    cdttrelloshot.png
    I'd say that's a pretty damn good compromise. At least we'll be able to see the tiny balls of instagib now :D

My problem is I see them but I am convinced it's going around me. But then boom, one dead skulk. Also the amount of times I've felt I was way to close to set it off on hit and still it explodes takes the piss.
    edited October 2014
    devel wrote: »

Expendable marine tactic. No need to aim, good for defense as well as for offense.

Onoses on pubs are usually running from just one cluster nade. Mostly because of an awesome explosion animation.

Don't see clusters forcing onos back much, its usually the presence of a large group that deters them and the possibility of getting pinched in a base. GLs on the other hand can force an onos back, 2-3 guys land all their nades on an onos, you're looking at 1320-1980 damage that goes through umbra, long range and bone shield. Shotguns are more reliable in killing onos though.

To the ideas in this thread or revamping the GL. Do we need it when a few simple changes could suffice like nerfing player damage, keeping structure damage, highlighting nades? Whats the GLs intended role and focus on keeping that rather than huge sweeping changes like remote explosives (lol).

To CDT: When can we expect highlighting nade projectiles to hit live if there is an answer?
    RaZDaZ wrote: »

Don't see clusters forcing onos back much, its usually the presence of a large group that deters them and the possibility of getting pinched in a base. GLs on the other hand can force an onos back, 2-3 guys land all their nades on an onos, you're looking at 1320-1980 damage that goes through umbra, long range and bone shield. Shotguns are more reliable in killing onos though.

To the ideas in this thread or revamping the GL. Do we need it when a few simple changes could suffice like nerfing player damage, keeping structure damage, highlighting nades? Whats the GLs intended role and focus on keeping that rather than huge sweeping changes like remote explosives (lol).

To CDT: When can we expect highlighting nade projectiles to hit live if there is an answer?

He was talking about nerve gas, I believe.
    RaZDaZ wrote: »

He was talking about nerve gas, I believe.

Well he did mention cluster nades. Gas on the other hand is amazing vs onos base pushes.
    A perfectly timed pulse grenade for the onos kill is quite entertaining.
    I don't really understand emp affects on aliens... are they cyborg?
    I don't really understand emp effects on aliens... are they cyborg?
    These are aliens of which we which we know little about their biology. Nanite technology has come a long way since the prewar era too. An emp blast does appear to have odd effects on kharra chemistry.

Besides the realism, I do agree that pulse grenades are weird.