How to teach rookies (new ingame tactical-tutorial suggestion) :D

JoseppeJoseppe Join Date: 2012-01-21 Member: 141497Members
edited September 2014 in NS2 General Discussion

I have to laugh everytime i watch this! ;)

Comments

• Laosh'RaLaosh'Ra Join Date: 2011-12-09 Member: 137232Members
    the title gave me hope to find a fresh and constructive idea here. instead we get an overly used joke tailored to ns2.
    not so funny to watch when you are german, because you understand and are distracted by what they are really saying :)

in case you are actually suggesting to put this to use (i hope you are not): no way. possibly entertaining, but violates copyrights of a movie and is potentially offensive to certain people. just nothing you could back by people officially in charge of development.
  • JoseppeJoseppe Join Date: 2012-01-21 Member: 141497Members
    edited September 2014
    it was a joke ;)
    and yes, i know the current ingame tutorials help nothing at all.

a seriously good tutorial would be 10-20 min long at least:

* showing a reenacted, real, complete match (start to beginning)
    * using fast forward video playback
    * until there is a certain situation to explain: each different marine/alien confrontation - wrong / right behaviours
    * until there is a certain situation to explain: overall map progress / commander - wrong / right behaviours

* for a good tutorial you need at least 6 vs 6 people - showing all the possibilities in a quick way
    * and you need to be able to skip to a certain point to a video if its longer then 10 min

to get an good idea of the game as a new player.

before you can do a video like this:
    * you need to watch rookies playing (or just think about it) to get an idea what are the biggest mistakes for new players at beginning
    * to priorities the video facts
    * to avoid / explain the wrong / right behavior

but something like this will never happen, because its a lot of hard work for a really good tutorial!
    (you need to see real beaviours and not just talk about the good behaviour in a video)
  • N@uralBornNoobistN@uralBornNoobist Gorge-N-Freeman,2Gorges1Clog Join Date: 2012-12-24 Member: 176138Members
    edited September 2014
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    On a more constructive note, a real tactical in-game whosawhatsit for rookies could be simply highlighitng "good positioning" areas.

i.e. areas looking down a long hall have a green box highlighed on the floor indicating "STAND HERE IF YOU ARE FIGHTING HERE"

same idea for common ambush spots as aliens.

Proboly need to involve mappers to choose these areas though :D
  • DecoyDecoy Join Date: 2012-09-11 Member: 159037Members, Super Administrators, Playtest Lead, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts, Retired Community Developer
    If we'd like to turn this into a real thing... I find that when I'm teaching rookies, I try to use real life analogies for them.

For example, when I'm teaching the new skulks how to wall jump, it's great to tell them that "the floor is lava" and to try to avoid walking on it, just like that game from when they were kids.

I also like to give directions on the map in a couple ways. Tell them they need to go to Flight Control, it's on the far left-hand side of the map, where 9 o clock would be. It gives them a general idea where to look.

The other thing that I find useful is to use silly stuff. Like calling the skulk walk "Sneaky feet". It's memorable for them

Most importantly: You gotta be super positive. If they actually get a kill, be super pumped for them. It's a difficult thing to start out, it's lovely when they are useful. You should be excited! It's like when a baby takes their first steps.
  • BicsumBicsum Join Date: 2012-02-27 Member: 147596Members, Reinforced - Gold
    edited September 2014
    Decoy wrote: »
    Most importantly: You gotta be super positive. If they actually get a kill, be super pumped for them. It's a difficult thing to start out, it's lovely when they are useful. You should be excited! It's like when a baby takes their first steps.

IKR?

They're so cute when they see NS2 with their big rookie baby eyes and then they see an onos for the first time and then they kill a skulk and you're like: "WHO'S A BIG BOY?" and then they just randomly die. I love it.
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    The other thing that I find useful is to use silly stuff. Like calling the skulk walk "Sneaky feet". It's memorable for them

I prefer to call them "Skulk Booties". Put them on to keep those walls clean
  • McGlaspieMcGlaspie www.team156.com Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 73044Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester
    ... I find that when I'm teaching rookies, I try to use real life analogies for them.
    "the floor is lava"

o_O Where do you live Decoy? In a volcano?
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    McGlaspie wrote: »
    ... I find that when I'm teaching rookies, I try to use real life analogies for them.
    "the floor is lava"

lol I was actually JUST about to post that.
  • It's Super Effective!It's Super Effective! Join Date: 2012-08-28 Member: 156625Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2014
    Joseppe wrote: »
    it was a joke ;)
    and yes, i know the current ingame tutorials help nothing at all.

a seriously good tutorial would be 10-20 min long at least:

* showing a reenacted, real, complete match (start to beginning)
    * using fast forward video playback
    * until there is a certain situation to explain: each different marine/alien confrontation - wrong / right behaviours
    * until there is a certain situation to explain: overall map progress / commander - wrong / right behaviours

* for a good tutorial you need at least 6 vs 6 people - showing all the possibilities in a quick way
    * and you need to be able to skip to a certain point to a video if its longer then 10 min

to get an good idea of the game as a new player.

before you can do a video like this:
    * you need to watch rookies playing (or just think about it) to get an idea what are the biggest mistakes for new players at beginning
    * to priorities the video facts
    * to avoid / explain the wrong / right behavior

but something like this will never happen, because its a lot of hard work for a really good tutorial!
    (you need to see real beaviours and not just talk about the good behaviour in a video)

If only there were a place where all of this already existed and only needed to be converted to webm format. 8->

P.S. I was disappointed at the video, but then I was entertained, well done.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    McGlaspie wrote: »
    "the floor is lava"

You just outed yourself Mr. Richie Rich!

"The floor is lava! That's the lava game, when you pretend that the floor is lava and you climb up on all the furniture. I see some of you don't get that. I don't care, that's okay. You might have called it something else, but it meant the same thing; you were poor."
    - Daniel tosh