Why NS2 will only ever be a niche game.

2»

Comments

• TurbineTurbine Join Date: 2012-09-13 Member: 159160Members
    It's a pretty shocking game. =/ Very few good games, always one sided. I think the whole upgrading/benefits are way too advantageous.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Turbine wrote: »

What a terrible game NS2 is! I must continue reading and posting on these forums because it's so bad and I don't care at all about it and it hasn't given me any enjoyment. Maybe if I continue telling everyone how bad NS2 is they'll think I'm really intelligent and helpful.

Quit your incessant moaning, or shut the door on your way out.
  • Soylent_greenSoylent_green Join Date: 2002-12-20 Member: 11220Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2014
    IronHorse wrote: »
    And it was Free to Play...
    Just goes to show you that such a model is not always a guarantee for success like so many claim

Fee-to-pay is usually an attempt to charge as much as possible; to find the most anyone is willing to pay and make them pay it. Instead of charging $20 or whatever, a fixed price, you want to charge $1000 from a small number of lunatics and you're satisfied with only a few dollars from your average player as they provide "content" for the "sharks".

Free to play competitive games allow cheating without consequence (the account is free... make as many as you want). It provides a stream of players who are barely even vaguely interested in the game; they're just trying it because it's free and they won't stick around; they'll just dilute average player skill and make the game less satisfying to play. In order to make money being F2P the game needs a persistent state; if it is not purely cosmetic then it is the antithesis of a competitive game. Just having more options is always better; even if each individual option is perfectly balanced and only situationally better.

Even the least disgusting F2P games, like TF2, are vastly poorer for being F2P. Being free to play carries with it a lot of unwanted baggage.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Even the least disgusting F2P games, like TF2, are vastly poorer for being F2P. Being free to play carries with it a lot of unwanted baggage.
    Poorer regarding revenue? Lol.. no.. Valve are laughing on the way to the bank
    Poorer regarding gameplay? Yes, completely agree. I'd love to see Vanilla TF2 return.
  • dusterduster michigan, US Join Date: 2014-01-19 Member: 193329Members
    Complete snowballing is not a fundamental part of the game. Yes objectives are required to force people to do things other than simply win engagements, but things can be changed around to allow for more strategic play or more comebacks. Compmod has a few changes like this.
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    IronHorse wrote: »
    Poorer regarding revenue? Lol.. no.. Valve are laughing on the way to the bank

I wish they used that money to buy EA (though obviously not logical).

Imagine, so many great titles freed from EA's grip...
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    coolitic wrote: »
    Imagine, so many great titles freed from EA's grip...
    James_pond_2_cover.jpg
  • It's Super Effective!It's Super Effective! Join Date: 2012-08-28 Member: 156625Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    Oh god, that's a real thing? I weep.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    edited September 2014
    You dare to attack Robo Cod? I guess you are too young to understand the importance of James Pond to our gaming history.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Pond_2
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Yeah robocod was legitimately a really good game, and hard as nails :P
  • DaveodethDaveodeth Join Date: 2012-11-21 Member: 172717Members
    edited September 2014
    James pond 3 was better.

Also as this has gone on a tangent is @obraxis the reason why I can't get a new 970 from scan. Grr
  • RaZDaZRaZDaZ Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167331Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I'm only 22 yet now that I've found out that a James Pond game actually exists, I can die a happy man.