[Release] ns2_waterdome

KalopsiaKalopsia Join Date: 2003-05-15 Member: 16331Members, Reinforced - Shadow
edited September 2014 in Mapping
Modified version of ns2_biodome that now includes water textures and adjusted lighting.

Map name is tentative for the time being. Might change it to ns2_biodome_water depending on feedback.

Original version created by Unknown Worlds Entertainment.
Modified version by Kalopsia.

If UWE have a problem with this, let me know and I will remove it from the workshop.

Enjoy!

Steam Workshop: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=310507507
Screens:
sqJizBq.jpg
muRMAeV.jpg
sXlxkcb.jpg

Comments

• PelargirPelargir Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185857Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Forum staff
    That looks good, not sure though if that's really useful for players or something. I'm waiting for the day we can finally find a wonderful water aesthetic and not only textures. But these screenshots make me want to try it out on a server.
  • deathshrouddeathshroud Join Date: 2010-04-10 Member: 71291Members
    i originally planned cradle to take place in an underwater facility, but gave up on that aspect due to a lack of convincing water and underwater props
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    i originally planned cradle to take place in an underwater facility, but gave up on that aspect due to a lack of convincing water and underwater props

There are plenty of underwater props
    There are the props used in tunnels which look like coral and kelp
    There are bubbles from biodome, water textures, underwater ambience sounds, caustics
  • deathshrouddeathshroud Join Date: 2010-04-10 Member: 71291Members
    edited September 2014
    might revist it the idea then, i also struggled with the lighting might just take abit of work

without animated vegetation though it looks very static, also animated fish would go along way.
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    might revist it the idea then, i also struggled with the lighting might just take abit of work

without animated vegetation though it looks very static, also animated fish would go along way.

The tunnel tentacles, and polyps are animated. You can also use things like cinematics/environment/biodome/mosquitos_glow.cinematic, the biodome outdoor floor.
  • RadimaXRadimaX Join Date: 2013-02-05 Member: 182840Members
    this seem very cool, maby if all the biege textures was changed to a bluer tint to set the maps apart even further!
  • KalopsiaKalopsia Join Date: 2003-05-15 Member: 16331Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Thanks for the ideas.

Took me about three hours to put this together yesterday. I will continue modifying it today and over the coming weeks.
  • KalopsiaKalopsia Join Date: 2003-05-15 Member: 16331Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Map has now been updated to include 100% more bubbles and quite possibly the best secret room you will ever see ;)

Next I will be focusing on removing trees and replacing them with something better.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    So, water themed biodome? Sounds like a cool aesthetic.
    james888 wrote: »
    So, water themed biodome? Sounds like a cool aesthetic.

Correct :)
    edited September 2014
    Kalopsia wrote: »
    Map has now been updated to include 100% more bubbles and quite possibly the best secret room you will ever see ;)

Next I will be focusing on removing trees and replacing them with something better.

Only if it includes swimmable water ;)
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    So will falls be a wall of air bubbles then instead of water?!?!?!?!?!?! :D:D
    SamusDroid wrote: »
    Kalopsia wrote: »

Only if it includes swimmable water ;)

If you code it I will add it in :P
    2cough wrote: »
    So will falls be a wall of air bubbles then instead of water?!?!?!?!?!?! :D:D

haha I could try that, but I don't think it will look any good.
    Map has been updated:

- Modified entry to secret room so Onos and Exo can enter
    - Added collision geometry in secret room to prevent players from getting stuck
    - Added collision geometry in secondary secret room to prevent players from getting stuck when they enter
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Why does this map look so much better underwater? It really fits.
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    I hope all the locations are being aptly renamed,
    e.g. Bamboo Pass --> Kelp Pass,
    Agri Labs --> Algae Labs
    Canopy --> Shelf
    Hydroponics --> Hydrocity Zone
    Atmospheric Seeding --> SeaLab 2014
    etc etc

This looks gooooooooooood
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    Just make sure to also change a little bit in the map itself. I mean, else the layout is just a clone?
    I know changing layout a bit will affect balance but still.. a broken leaking water tube here, a inaccessible flooded compartment there..

Like the work so far, according to screenshots. :)
    @DC_Darkling‌, it is just a clone. It does look really cool. I think it looks better than biodome. The readyroom is much fun. Needs more visible outside waterways.
  • aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    I almost think an underwater theme would fit this map better than the biodome theme.
    SamusDroid wrote: »
    Um http://i.imgur.com/ZQcsJMv.jpg
    Why is there a sandstorm

Yeah I will get rid of this in the next release.

• ChrisStarkChrisStark Germany Join Date: 2016-02-11 Member: 212895Members, NS2 Playtester
    @Kalopsia Are you still working on this map? I like the idea. And I think if you slightly change some rooms, too it would also be played on servers. The guys left some pretty good ideas for you I think :smiley: