NS2+ (The mod previously known as Custom HUD)

Comments

• aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    I'm not sure if this is a bug or not, but its REALLY annoying:

Currently under the commander binding options, assigning "Grid Spot 10" to be unbound while keeping the "C" key as map, automatically reassings Grid Spot 10 back to the C key. I've had quite a few games now where I've cancelled upgrades on accident due to this automatic rebinding (while I was on the specific lifeform upgrade menus).

This was an issue since the balance 268 patch. Essentially I want to leave Grid Spot 10 shortcut completely unbound while comming, since I'm so used to using "C" for the minimap constantly.
  • MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    aeroripper wrote: »
    I'm not sure if this is a bug or not, but its REALLY annoying:

Currently under the commander binding options, assigning "Grid Spot 10" to be unbound while keeping the "C" key as map, automatically reassings Grid Spot 10 back to the C key. I've had quite a few games now where I've cancelled upgrades on accident due to this automatic rebinding (while I was on the specific lifeform upgrade menus).

This was an issue since the balance 268 patch. Essentially I want to leave Grid Spot 10 shortcut completely unbound while comming, since I'm so used to using "C" for the minimap constantly.
    That does sound like a bug. But what does it have to do with NS2+?
  • aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    Apologies, I re-posted this in the Tech support forum.
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    joshhh wrote: »
    This isn't an argument about lack of information available to the player... its an argument to support more hand-holding of rudimentary knowledge and game awareness which is just plain laughable.

Dragon's post should have shut down this conversation all together. There really isnt much more to say.

Agree with pres lifeform timings, however knowing the timing of being permitted to begin repairing a destroyed power node is hardly rudimentary game knowledge. It's a broken mechanic (on top of a broken mechanic lul) that no new player could possibly get a logical understanding of without being told by someone who already knows the secret. In this case, a timer or graphical queue on the powernode its self would be welcome.
  • GoldenGolden Join Date: 2004-09-01 Member: 31169Members, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Silver, NS2 Community Developer
    Jekt wrote: »
    This isn't an argument about lack of information available to the player... its an argument to support more hand-holding of rudimentary knowledge and game awareness which is just plain laughable.

Dragon's post should have shut down this conversation all together. There really isnt much more to say.

Agree with pres lifeform timings, however knowing the timing of being permitted to begin repairing a destroyed power node is hardly rudimentary game knowledge. It's a broken mechanic (on top of a broken mechanic lul) that no new player could possibly get a logical understanding of without being told by someone who already knows the secret. In this case, a timer or graphical queue on the powernode its self would be welcome.

What? There is a visual notification, the red lights come on. Is something more necessary?
  • xDragonxDragon Join Date: 2012-04-04 Member: 149948Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    You can start to fix the powernode before the red lights come on. Its usually at most a second or two, but I could see having some sort of indicator on the powernode itself, either an overheated effect or something wouldn't be bad.
  • FiskbitFiskbit Join Date: 2013-08-27 Member: 187099Members
    Golden: That's true, but you also don't get any indication when the lights will come on, so you're still stuck there waiting. That said, I think a lot of people don't know they're tied, since you can start repairing the node before the lights actually become visible. Simply not having an indication of when those events happen is an issue, like how the visual indication for despawning weapons used to be that they were gone. Knowing that earlier sure is helpful.

Dragon: Yes, I see the difference between something becoming available and someone being able to afford it, but the key that many people seem to be missing is that marine weapons are primarily gated by team res, while alien weapons (lifeforms) are primarily gated by personal res. That dynamic is part of why team res lifeform eggs aren't available in Comp Mod anymore, since the aliens' strength is in their personal res and using team res for it unbalances it. The time spent waiting for the first time you can buy a lifeform is no different from waiting for weapon research. At the very least, this should be considered as a consistency thing.

The fact that there's so much argument against these from high-div players is baffling to me. With NS2+, there are 3 different ways to display your ammunition complete with flashing lights, and you can use them all at once if you want! Where's the game skill argument against things like that? Or the awareness argument against allowing players to disable ambient sounds, disable holograms, and drastically change lighting? If these suggestions are irrelevant to you, then ignore them. If they make the game worse, then give your reasoning instead of dismissing what other people have to say like joshhh does. Changes to improve polish and information should be pretty welcome to everyone, for both pubs and competitive play. It's just sound game design, and there should be no discussion to be had beyond clutter and balance impact.

Do research notifications drive people that crazy? Those happen more than lifeform notifications would. And as for weapon cycling, given all the problems and the recent nerfs, I'm happy to give marines a bit more of an advantage if they win an engagement leaving just one marine and aliens aren't able to clear him before reinforcements come in. Aliens can respawn and get back to the battle faster, so they should probably be winning that before more marines show unless marines give up their position elsewhere to run to that room, which should leave their RTs open.
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    Golden wrote: »
    Jekt wrote: »

What? There is a visual notification, the red lights come on. Is something more necessary?

The red light timing coincides with the timing of being able to rebuild the power? If that's true I didn't know. I doubt anyone else does either. Which really only reinforces my point.
  • xDragonxDragon Join Date: 2012-04-04 Member: 149948Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    I am not against or for the notifications overall, as an optional thing they wouldn't be hurting anyone... I was more surprised that it was an occurrence since you are always waiting on pres as an alien... Similar to the weapon ammo flashing (which actually annoys me).

For the weapon recycling, I can understand the sentiment of giving marines a buff, but I don't think that is a good place to buff marines. It is already pretty easy to recycle guns and marines typically have much higher pres income rates. I would rather see marines buffed in other places if needed.
  • ball2hiball2hi Join Date: 2012-10-22 Member: 163128Members

@Joshhh Since maybe I didn't get my point across in my original post...

Your argument against adding this to NS2+ is that it'd create more hand-holding of rudimentary knowledge and game awareness.

Your argument, and @Zefram, and @Golden, have been proven null with the previous additions of:

Addition of player names on map.(Game awareness/rudimentary knowledge for player in room)
    Addition of large ammo and health-count. (Game awareness/rudimentary knowledge)
    Addition of health and ammo/energy in large decorative bars either centered or on the side of your screen. (Game awareness/rudimentary knowledge)
    Addition of phasegate lines displaying direction. (Game awareness/rudimentary knowledge)
    Addition of low-ammo warning. (Game awareness/rudimentary knowledge)
    Addition of hitsounds (Game awareness/rudimentary knowledge, there is already draw-damage for you)

I'm sure there are more additions that I can't recall right now, but the above list is convenient enough. These were all added, not because they were required (You can play without NS2+ without missing any vital information, as long as you search for it) but because they were convenient. Health and ammo/energy... the two most important part of the game, has been given bigger and more noticeable notifications. If the suggested won't be included into NS2+, why were the above included then?

Furthermore, let's go over the list of notifications already available in the game without mod intervention.

Marine commander drops (Medpack/Ammopack/Buildings) PER ROOM.
    Research notifications.
    Structure under attack (Including cysts).
    Hive/CC specific, under attack notifications/sound queues.
    Infantry Portal specific, under attack notification/sound queues.
    Missing Infantry Portal specific, notification/sound queues.
    Killfeed

So many notifications and sound queues... some more or less important than something like power-node timers, lifeform pres alerts. I'd say adding something like this would not only benefit public players, but competitive players too. Hell, if possible, I'd like to see an option with very small timers calculating the exact second you can go Lerk/Fade/Onos that updates in realtime with harvesters built/destroyed available to Aliens.

So, with just this post alone, all 3 of your (same) arguments have been nulled. If you can not come up with another argument or example (pertaining to the game) as to why the listed additions were included but refusing to have the suggested included, then there really isn't anything more to discuss except if it's implementable by @Mendasp and whether he'll take the time to do it or not.

If you can come up with a new argument that convinces us, that would be great. However, please stop behaving like a broken record and repeating the same argument, in slightly different tunes.
  • GoldenGolden Join Date: 2004-09-01 Member: 31169Members, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Silver, NS2 Community Developer
    I still don't understand. It's literally there, on your HUD, the entire game? What do you want, the entire screen to light up and say "YOU SHOULD BE GOING FADE RIGHT NOW"?

You've got 10+ seconds sitting in spawn queue every time you die to look at the map, look at your pres and determine if you need to think about going a higher lifeform in your next spawn. I don't understand what else you need.
  • ZeframZefram Join Date: 2004-05-11 Member: 28611Members, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts, Retired Community Developer
    edited September 2014
    ball2hi wrote: »

Addition of player names on map.(Game awareness/rudimentary knowledge for player in room)
    Addition of large ammo and health-count. (Game awareness/rudimentary knowledge)
    Addition of health and ammo/energy in large decorative bars either centered or on the side of your screen. (Game awareness/rudimentary knowledge)
    Addition of phasegate lines displaying direction. (Game awareness/rudimentary knowledge)
    Addition of low-ammo warning. (Game awareness/rudimentary knowledge)
    Addition of hitsounds (Game awareness/rudimentary knowledge, there is already draw-damage for you)

Except for hitsounds, I've been on record as being opposed or lukewarm to this list for the same reasons for competitive play.

• RisingSunRisingSun Rising California Join Date: 2004-04-19 Member: 28015Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited September 2014
    Bottom line is the lifeform prompt would be a quality of life change and could be turned off if you don't want it. If you don't need it? GREAT! Some people would like the extra notification.

I don't spend my death time salivating over my k/d screen. I spend my time looking at my map to see where I should engage next and how.

The time it hurt my team is when we were doing very very well early game and had little to no deaths. We were pressing so hard and were so focused we lerked at an embarrassing 26 res. Our fault completely, but I would like my menu and pop ups to work for me. Call me lazy.
  • PelargirPelargir Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185857Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Forum staff
    3. Notifications letting alien players know when they've accumulated enough res for a lifeform would be useful. Particularly in competitive games, I've found that sometimes we're so busy with what we're doing that we miss that we're at lerk, fade, or onos res, delaying the lifeform significantly and putting us in a worse position.

You guys, are really upset for a such small thing? If that's an option, I don't really care if yes or no, you can enable or disable that kind of notifications via NS2+. I can just agree both sides with their opinions but does it really matter right now? I think the issue you guys currently have is definitely more about how you play the game and how the players should think during a game.
  • ZeframZefram Join Date: 2004-05-11 Member: 28611Members, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts, Retired Community Developer
    edited September 2014
    I still don't understand. It's literally there, on your HUD, the entire game? What do you want, the entire screen to light up and say "YOU SHOULD BE GOING FADE RIGHT NOW"?

4Dym1Ln.jpg

Nice fade, bro.
  • LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited September 2014
    Yes eyebex you are the judge here that decides who's arguments are nullified and who's aren't. Your word is law.

You've got 10+ seconds sitting in spawn queue every time you die to look at the map, look at your pres and determine if you need to think about going a higher lifeform in your next spawn. I don't understand what else you need.
    @Golden Our LMGs have ammo displays. Why did we need additional displays of ammo in the bottom right with big numbers, or a centralized HUD that also displays health. They were added for convenience, and you can disable these neat features if you want.

As for understanding... I'll reiterate what I've stated. There are many notifications in NS2 regarding minor and major importance. Ranging from cysts being attacked, to an infantry portal missing. All of which provide information for a player without having to go through menus. Some notifications are so important, they create banners in the top center of your screen, some even with sound queues. I agree with @Fiskbit in introducing 2 new, important, notifications for players. We've already introduced some (as listed before), why not add a few more that can be toggled and provide useful information without changing gameplay? If you don't understand it after this, I'm not sure how better else to explain it.
    Zefram wrote: »
    Except for hitsounds, I've been on record as being opposed or lukewarm to this list for the same reasons for competitive play.
    Ah, I apologize then @Zefram. Sorry.
    Locklear wrote: »
    Yes eyebex you are the judge here that decides who's arguments are nullified and who's aren't. Your word is law.
    @Locklear
    Maybe I was getting a bit carried away with myself here. Sorry. I'm just getting upset because I have to justify, again, why something should be implemented. Many different reasons have been given as to why it should be implemented, but only one or two have been given as to why it shouldn't be implemented. Yet, I am still being asked why it should be implemented.
    edited September 2014
    Tonight I went out with a friend who's a flight instructor. They've got thousands of hours behind the yolk and can do complicated maneuvers and land a plane without assistance from instruments or other aid technology. It's like when you're an experienced driver and don't need a speedometer to achieve or maintain the speed limit. As an instructor, you're trained through countless hours for every situation that may arise, but a new student can't judge airspeed with visual markers alone or by feel or their position without a gps and instruments. They need help until they gain enough experience.

That said, although it's a continuing dumbing down of the less apparent skills (awareness, decision making, etc.), not needed in the game and to quote another poster "lazy", I wouldn't be opposed to lifeform PRes milestone notifications on the hud. Even in competitive play, when a team should be penalized by the opportunity cost of not having their lifeforms come out at the appropriate time or a decision to delay, if it raises the quality of games from lower division games, less experienced players, and pubs, I wouldn't be against it.
  • SantaClawsSantaClaws Denmark Join Date: 2012-07-31 Member: 154491Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    c
    Pelargir wrote: »
    You guys, are really upset for a such small thing? If that's an option, I don't really care if yes or no, you can enable or disable that kind of notifications via NS2+. I can just agree both sides with their opinions but does it really matter right now? I think the issue you guys currently have is definitely more about how you play the game and how the players should think during a game.
    Absolutely agree there Pelargir - again, I don't give a shit if this is implemented or not, provided I can disable it myself. I'm just very dissapointed in the reasoning emplored against it - that's what I'm against, because I'm concerned the same reasoning can and will be used in more important decisions later.

Unlike the lifeform timer thing, the despawn-timers implemented by ns2+ have an actual advantage, with potential balance repercussions - yet that was gladly embraced by most, even though it could easily have been brushed off as "rudimentary basic awareness".
  • SebSeb Melbourne, AU Join Date: 2013-04-01 Member: 184576Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Retired Community Developer
    I think you guys are mistaking the reaction as being opposed rather than confused as to why someone would actually want another notification to tell you something you already know.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I also fail to understand the desire, and even more the apparent need for lifeform hud notifications. In all my time playing ns2 from the lowest of green pubs to div3 and a few games mercing with div 2 teams, I have *ALWAYS* kept an eye on pres levels, my own as lerk and my teammates' as fades and onos. On the occasion I've missed the timing by a little bit, my teammates have mentioned it. It's such a fundamental thing in this game at every level of play that I find it baffling that anyone would ask for it, especially comp players...
    My only objection to it being included would be that the time it takes to coding and testing it could be spent on much more useful things. That would obviously be a matter for @Mendasp rather than anyone else of course.
  • PelargirPelargir Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185857Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Forum staff
    Roobubba wrote: »
    My only objection to it being included would be that the time it takes to coding and testing it could be spent on much more useful things. That would obviously be a matter for @Mendasp rather than anyone else of course.

It's probably the only thing that can be admitted.

edited September 2014
    Another one:

Make gorges have a green outline on hivesight, instead of the standard alien orange like all the other aliens. This will make it easier to pick out gorges in a crowd, or in a nearby room. This is one of the things I miss from hive vision from NS1 that was useful.

• OtsOts Join Date: 2003-07-30 Member: 18577Members, Constellation
    sebb wrote: »
    I think you guys are mistaking the reaction as being opposed rather than confused as to why someone would actually want another notification to tell you something you already know.
    This, i've seen these notifications on so many addons in WoW, and it's utterly beyond me how people who are supposedly playing "competitive ns2" are in need of things like this. But as said, could really care less if it's in, as long as i can turn it off.
    Mouse wrote: »
    To distract from the exciting conversation going on at the moment:

It'd be awesome if, as alien, you could open the build menu while dead to queue up chamber/lifeform evolutions for when you spawn.
    A good example of convenience, while the recycling weapon change would simply result to "run here and stand here" . And that aspect just seems something fitting of rookiemode. You get all the gain for doing absolutely nothing.

I'm glad that Dragon and others posted about this in the way they did, cause i do not have the self discipline to remain civil with people advocating stupid things like this. :(
    With a minor exception of Golden, I think(or should I say know?) the only person confused here is you.
  • MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    - Improved request menu option selection (Thanks remi.D!)
    - Added the time spent building to the end round stats.
    - Fixed some weapons not reporting the correct number of kills on round end.
  • SebSeb Melbourne, AU Join Date: 2013-04-01 Member: 184576Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Retired Community Developer
    ball2hi wrote: »
    With a minor exception of Golden, I think(or should I say know?) the only person confused here is you.
    lolk
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    Customization is great! Double info is not bad if optional.
    Having a mod play the game for you however I would strongly dis advice.

Mods which move the health/ammo incicator.. Fine, we already had that info. If people like it shown different.. perfect. (You may remember I love the hud bars)
    Same with hitsounds.. The damage numbers already confirm a hit, so why would I care if people want a sound for it. (I dont use hitsounds)
    In a way you could argue that a lifeform notification like 'you can fade' is another double notification. After all, the pres counter is there. While I think it helps rookies realise there is something to do, I dont see a use myself. But its not 'new' info.. so why care?

But on the other side its a much stronger indication of something.. So perhaps it can be seen as the mod playing for you.
    I wont go into that debate any further.. I just liked to point this all out.
    Customization is great! Double info is not bad if optional.
    But on the other side its a much stronger indication of something.. So perhaps it can be seen as the mod playing for you.
    What.