Metabolize!

1235»

Comments

• RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    The pre BT fade was ridiculous. Even I could own happily all day long in any pub server with that fade, and that was back when I'd had only a handful of competitive hours of NS2. It was so easy for anyone with even a modicum of skill that it desperately needed the changes it got. The present incarnation of the fade still has a very high skill ceiling - I'm not sure that anyone has actually reached it yet - I've certainly seen some unbelievable moves, but it is more fragile and less of an unkillable lightning tank that it was back during the shadowstep movement days. Yes, of course fades died back then, but they were undeniably much more forgiving to play than they are now, at pretty much every level, too. The fade ball was a real thing, and it indicated that there was a problem.

I'm sure we'd all secretly and selfishly love to have that fade back just for ourselves, but @mattk50 you have to recognise how broken it was, and how even relatively low skilled players were able to dominate with it as long as they didn't overextend massively.

• meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    I still miss shadowstep as an option. Would rather metab relegated to a skill-slot-only-skill and have SS back on shift when researched.

I always had this personal fantasy (and I bet you guys do too ;) ) of fades having SS/blink as optional, a stylistic choice. Something they either evolve, or simply the comm must research SS or Blink at the hive for 10 tres or something nice and cheap.
  • MrFangsMrFangs Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184474Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I still miss shadowstep as an option. Would rather metab relegated to a skill-slot-only-skill and have SS back on shift when researched.
    The situation where I really miss SS is when fighting Exos, especially in confined places. Together with the Exo buff, and the Vortex-Stab combination removed, the Fade-vs-Exo balance is now too much in favor of the Exo IMO.
  • It's Super Effective!It's Super Effective! Join Date: 2012-08-28 Member: 156625Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2014
    I we were to compare PRES values and gameplay role, then technically the Onos should be on par with an Exo not a Fade, and let's be honest, even the Exo isn't entirely on par with Onos anyways.
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    Mattk50 wrote: »
    This has been a theme with NS2 "skill" additions since 250ish. The new skulk and fade movement have elements of this as well.

Honestly wish whoever keeps designing these systems would just stop messing with it, you're doing a fucking horrible job.

Hey look, its Coolitic jr. Keep preachin brother. Keep preachin.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    MrFangs wrote: »
    The situation where I really miss SS is when fighting Exos, especially in confined places. Together with the Exo buff, and the Vortex-Stab combination removed, the Fade-vs-Exo balance is now too much in favor of the Exo IMO.

So we have a subtle Exo buff? Sounds fine to me, really ;)
  • LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Mattk50 wrote: »

This has been a theme with NS2 "skill" additions since 250ish. The new skulk and fade movement have elements of this as well.

Honestly wish whoever keeps designing these systems would just stop messing with it, you're doing a fucking horrible job.

Come up with something better than Metabolize for Fade because atm as far as good feedback is concerned - you're doing a fucking horrible job.
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Metabolize in NS1 was crazy strong, much stronger than this one - it had no cooldown and no attack delay so you could literally hold it down mid-combat and switch back right at the moment of swiping. This one feels more fair since you have to be careful about your timing in combat or you'll miss a swipe, and if you mismanage your energy you can't use it to save yourself from an empty bar. It would be perfect if you could hold Shift to use it continuously, since watching the cooldown manually feels tedious. Also, just remove it from the weapon selection because the weird hacky auto-weapon-switch thing that it does when you press Shift has messed up for me a few times.
  • twilitebluetwiliteblue bug stalker Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13116Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited August 2014
    Advanced Metabolize feels very boring for an alien "ability upgrade". Rather than being an additional useful ability, it is effectively minimal additional Regen upgrade for the Fade alone.

Although Ad. Metabolize works and feels balanced, and helps to reduce the Fade's dependence on Crag and Shift hive upgrades (with Fade being a creature affiliated with the Shade tech tree), the removal of both late game Fade movement abilities (ShadowStep & Vortex) undermined the Fade's unique identity and possible fun skill "combo"s.

Look at UT's and Tribes' range of unique weapon and abilities. NS2 needs more exciting weapons and attacks, not more boring, albeit "balanced" ones.
  • MouseMouse The Lighter Side of Pessimism Join Date: 2002-03-02 Member: 263Members, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited August 2014
    As I understand it, Adv. Metabolize was initially added because it worked, it was balanced and no-one could think of anything better.
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Advanced Metabolize feels very boring for an alien "ability upgrade". Rather than being an additional useful ability, it is effectively minimal additional Regen upgrade for the Fade alone.
    It's primary benefit is the energy regen if I am interpreting it correctly- it's there so your time spent engaging marines is limited by your HP, and if you're low on energy but have full health you don't have to find a shift/hive/ wait ages for energy to regen, you can just pop round the corner, metab, and carry on fighting until you take a meatshot or two to the face ;)
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    joshhh wrote: »
    Hey look, its Coolitic jr. Keep preachin brother. Keep preachin.

I was wondering when people would make the reference.
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff

So we have a subtle Exo buff? Sounds fine to me, really ;)

Would be true if exos already had problem fighting fades.
    Skulks are the big doodoo.
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    edited August 2014
    @AurOn2, ikr?

The skulks mobility, small size, and dps actually makes 2-3 of them almost/as dangerous as an onos to the exo, depending on the circumstances.

It also isn't too uncommon to see a skulk successfully 1v1 an exo. (then again, the exo shouldn't be by itself =P)
  • RapGodRapGod Not entirely sure... Join Date: 2013-11-12 Member: 189322Members
    Add exo stomp to hurt skulks. The animation would be hilarious.
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    @coolitic
    One of them is twice as dangerous as a single frackin onos. onos big - easy to hit. skulk small, fast, hard to hit with perfect hit rego - let alone ns2 hit rego (insert hitreg complaint here - im only going on memory)
  • RejZoRRejZoR Slovenia Join Date: 2013-09-24 Member: 188450Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    MuckyMcFly wrote: »
    So the roadmap for NS2 is, all the comp stuff and anything the CDT member made as mods? :-?

Can you imagine lerk lift and bile bomb, do you guys remember the beta version of lerks with bile? Oh my god.

Im looking forward to seeing @meatmachine‌ in action with Metabolize. Better start practicing my aim.

Well, it would be fun seeing a flying piggy in the air, vomiting bile from the front and farting spores at the back. Carpet bombing deluxe.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    A lerklift mod exists. Made by @lifesfun‌
  • NotPaLaGiNotPaLaGi Join Date: 2014-05-29 Member: 196291Members
    Im looking forward to seeing @meatmachine‌ in action with Metabolize. Better start practicing my aim.

Haha this made me laugh. Anyone remember when @meatmachine‌ called himself the best mechanically-skilled fade in the game, directly to Fana on these forums? Those were good times.
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    I more-so enjoyed the Gosu pubstomping kdr threads...
  • NominousNominous Baltimore, MD Join Date: 2012-02-18 Member: 146518Members
    Zek wrote: »
    It would be perfect if you could hold Shift to use it continuously, since watching the cooldown manually feels tedious.
    I've used Metabolize by holding Shift (not having to tap it) and it kept regenerating my energy back to full. o.O I was surprised when this happened since all I've read on the forums was the need to spam it.
  • MrFangsMrFangs Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184474Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2014
    Karnaj wrote: »
    It would be perfect if you could hold Shift to use it continuously, since watching the cooldown manually feels tedious.
    I've used Metabolize by holding Shift (not having to tap it) and it kept regenerating my energy back to full. o.O I was surprised when this happened since all I've read on the forums was the need to spam it.
    This doesn't work for me, I need to release and press shift again. However, just holding M1 with attack 2 automatically repeats it... :-?

I'd say both way should work just by holding, as you'd never use it like this in combat anyway. Outside of combat, being forced to tap a key is just annoying without adding any gameplay depth.

Although I have to say that Blink-traveling is becoming an exercise on its own: Hold/tap shift (metabolize) + control (crouch for smaller collision box) + W, and on top of that, use A/D as needed... 8-} Good thing we have five fingers, right?
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    edited August 2014
    Karnaj wrote: »
    This doesn't work for me, I need to release and press shift again. However, just holding M1 with attack 2 automatically repeats it... :-?

I'd say both way should work just by holding, as you'd never use it like this in combat anyway. Outside of combat, being forced to tap a key is just annoying without adding any gameplay depth.

Although I have to say that Blink-traveling is becoming an exercise on its own: Hold/tap shift (metabolize) + control (crouch for smaller collision box) + W, and on top of that, use A/D as needed... 8-} Good thing we have five fingers, right?

I think the crouch thing was removed quite a few patches ago.

edit: No, wait, that only was for bullets, right?
    NotPaLaGi wrote: »

Haha this made me laugh. Anyone remember when @meatmachine‌ called himself the best mechanically-skilled fade in the game, directly to Fana on these forums? Those were good times.
    Well, I'm glad you got a laugh out of that, even if the actual intended humour of the statement went completely over your head :P

8-|