268 - jetpack

clankill3rclankill3r Join Date: 2007-09-03 Member: 62145Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
How the jetpack is now without being able to jump is like how it was a year ago or something.
Back then they changed it that you could jump again and had to hold it to use the jetpack.
I really love that mechanic. Having a jetpack I still want to be able to outjump enemies.

I don't get what it is reverted to the old way. How do others think about it?

Comments

• SantaClawsSantaClaws Denmark Join Date: 2012-07-31 Member: 154491Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I like it, it's great.
  • [AwE]Sentinel[AwE]Sentinel Join Date: 2012-06-05 Member: 152949Members
    I never liked it. Some people wanted to jump over stuff and demanded jump before the jetpack kicks in. If you manage your fuel you don't need jump, but whatever, let's just change it...

It was horrible for dodging aliens in a corridor. Before you could use the jetpack to avoid an Onos attack by flying to a side. After the change, you just jumped upwards before the flying begun and you got stuck on the ceiling or gored to death. Comfort > effectiveness.

I am glad it got reverted.
  • PelargirPelargir Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185857Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Forum staff
    Actually, JPs were exactly like the current ones in the past. And not a far far away past.
  • clankill3rclankill3r Join Date: 2007-09-03 Member: 62145Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Actually, JPs were exactly like the current ones in the past. And not a far far away past.

Yeah, that's why I think it's so strange it got reverted to the old one after such a period of time.
  • PelargirPelargir Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185857Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Forum staff
    clankill3r wrote: »

Yeah, that's why I think it's so strange it got reverted to the old one after such a period of time.

Anyway, both suit me so I don't really care. As long as JPs do not need double jump to work.
  • ChaguiChagui Join Date: 2008-03-01 Member: 63773Members
    I dont like that now you get glued to the ground when you dont have fuel. You should at least be able to jump when you have no fuel.
  • KKyleKKyle Michigan Join Date: 2005-07-01 Member: 55067Members
    Using a GL with a JP seems to not be an issue. The only issue seems to be having teammates that realize you have a grenade launcher, and are smart enough to stick around you. Yeah running out of fuel is insanely easy, I don't know if it needs a buff or if it's been nerfed or what. But that's what the "run" key is for when glued to the ground.
    The fuel got decreased in 268.
  • CalegoCalego Join Date: 2013-01-24 Member: 181848Members, NS2 Map Tester
    I was a proponent for the Jumping Jetpacks. I think it's a little dumb that our ridiculously athletic and coordinated marines are incapable of jumping over a fence once the jetpack is empty (therefore not filled with heavy fuel).

I'm a big fan of the new jetpacks in all regards but this one. They make marines have to be more cautious with their usage, and allow aliens more opportunity to pick them off if they're not.

Dare I suggest a togglable option?
    I just tested them a bit longer. They are really fast to react now. I love it as rine, but I am not so sure about it anymore as alien :P
  • d0ped0gd0ped0g Join Date: 2003-05-25 Member: 16679Members
    Jetpacks should have an eject function such that you can jump out of it to gain that extra bit of height to reach a ledge - much like discarding a Yoshi in Super Mario Bros.

[/notaserioussuggestion]
  • zenefzenef Join Date: 2013-03-07 Member: 183762Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Without the jump you can jetpack fast in vents. Better this way.
  • SaltlickSaltlick Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177347Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    d0ped0g wrote: »
    Jetpacks should have an eject function such that you can jump out of it to gain that extra bit of height to reach a ledge - much like discarding a Yoshi in Super Mario Bros.

[/notaserioussuggestion]

Or you could spark the remaining fuel all at once.. Marine Xenocide.
  • FiskbitFiskbit Join Date: 2013-08-27 Member: 187099Members
    I'm baffled by the complaints in this thread because they don't seem to reflect reality. When you jump with the new jetpack, you simultaneously jump and jet, which is why it feels so responsive and fast. When you're out of fuel, you still jump because that feature is unaffected by the jetpack.

If jetpacks hindered jumping the way people described, I'd be complaining right along with you, as I did when the jetpack was being refined in Comp Mod before being brought over to vanilla, but this new jetpack shouldn't restrict marine movement regardless of fuel level. It should only ever make your jump bigger. Try it out in sandbox mode and I think you'll be convinced. If you continue to think it's hindering your jumping, please be specific, such as pointing out where.
    Idk. I still miss my jumping. Maybe being able to jump while crouched on the ground first?
    So standing jump is fly, crouch jump is jump? That seems unintuitive and clunky.
  • FiskbitFiskbit Join Date: 2013-08-27 Member: 187099Members
    What benefit does that provide over tapping jump, which gives you a jump that's at least as fast and high? If it's functionally worse, that's a problem, but it being different isn't really a useful complaint given all the benefits it provides.
    edited August 2014
    Fiskbit wrote: »
    What benefit does that provide over tapping jump, which gives you a jump that's at least as fast and high? If it's functionally worse, that's a problem, but it being different isn't really a useful complaint given all the benefits it provides.
    The issue is when the jetpack is out of fuel. Sure it could be considered a drawback as much as how Exo's can't jump or move fast. But IMO it seems like a pretty stupid one.

What if you just always jump, but with fuel the jetpack still kicks in immediately? From a theoretical standpoint, this would be the most optimum way to launch yourself up in a personal jetpack. Pushing yourself off the ground makes less work for the pack, which conserves more fuel. Plus from a gameplay perspective you can still jump.

EDIT: Well I feel like a tard. I think you're right Fiskbit. I just tried to have my pack run out of fuel to not be able to jump over stuff, but I couldn't get it to fail. Disregard all that. It's good as is.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Calego wrote: »
    Fiskbit wrote: »
    The issue is when the jetpack is out of fuel. Sure it could be considered a drawback as much as how Exo's can't jump or move fast. But IMO it seems like a pretty stupid one.

What if you just always jump, but with fuel the jetpack still kicks in immediately? From a theoretical standpoint, this would be the most optimum way to launch yourself up in a personal jetpack. Pushing yourself off the ground makes less work for the pack, which conserves more fuel. Plus from a gameplay perspective you can still jump.

EDIT: Well I feel like a tard. I think you're right Fiskbit. I just tried to have my pack run out of fuel to not be able to jump over stuff, but I couldn't get it to fail. Disregard all that. It's good as is.
    I am a lazy tsf marine. I let the jetpack do the work. I also love to eat Big Mac builder burgers at the TSF cafeteria
  • xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    At least you can use jetpack in vents no problem now. Just like good old times.
  • NotPaLaGiNotPaLaGi Join Date: 2014-05-29 Member: 196291Members
    This thread is funny, since I was actually thinking today about what I thought were some of the funniest design decisions UWE has made. Adding a clunky jump to the jetpack was up there for one of the worst, and I remembered why they did that because of the literal complaint on the forums of players who were mad they couldn't jump after they wasted all their energy.

So instead of tweaking the cost of initial takeoff or messing with the sustain values or looking at different accelerations rates to solve the problem while still maintaining the responsiveness (which is what I feel most normal devs would do), they took the complaint literally and actually added a jump before the flying would kick in. Not only did it worsen jetpack, it also had the awful side effect of not being able to jet through vents anymore.

Props to the CDT for addressing a terrible decision by UWE. I haven't played 268 so I don't if the fix is any good, but I am sure it's at least a step in the right direction.
  • MuckyMcFlyMuckyMcFly Join Date: 2012-03-19 Member: 148982Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    NS2 feels like beta again, each build re-learning to play the game.... guess it stops it being boring right? X_X
  • sotanahtsotanaht Join Date: 2013-01-12 Member: 179215Members
    edited August 2014
    Preferred the jump version. I wonder how many in this thread even realize you could double-tap jump to instantly start the JP prior to this change? Anyway with proper timing the jump gave you an initial speed boost and made fuel management easier because you do not always need to jet.

New JP is faster than it's ever been (it's even faster on takeoff than the nitro boost version before the jump)... which I also don't like. A single tap and I'm stuck on the rafters. Some of it will take some getting used to, but it also means that this version is flat out less useful in tighter spaces.

From an alien perspective, the new JP feels like it's made it much easier for marines to dodge at the last instant. What Ots said about having to jump early to dodge a competent alien, I think that's preferable in terms of balance to being able to just instantly dodge anything.
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    edited August 2014
    JP used to be OP in large rooms. Now the devs changed it so it's less effective in large rooms but has more responsiveness.
  • WobWob Join Date: 2005-04-08 Member: 47814Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Jetpacks are end tier tech.

Skulks will have a problem, granted.
    Lerks can arguably damage JPs easier.
    Fades are arguably the best to take out JPs (More HP to fly into a jp/sg/gl than a lerk could manage)
    Onos now can reliably juke jetpacks to actually be able to use corners to kill JPs instead of the stupid OP nature of JPs being able to kite onos before 268.

Jetpacks refuel slower than before meaning jetpacks are COMBAT orientated, not just map traversing. If you use it to cross a map, then you better be damned if a skulk catches you out of energy because they're insanely combat powerful when they do have fuel.
  • OtsOts Join Date: 2003-07-30 Member: 18577Members, Constellation
    Just to be more clear, you can still catch jetpacks by the usual wallhopping shenanigans, especially due to the fuel situation, and the other lifeforms really never had problems with that to begin with. The point is you're not forced to randomly fly to dodge "potential" aliens anymore.

Even more so i can't even fathom how much it irritated me to get killed by the worst onos'es on this earth in randoms occasions because of the oneshotgore and slow liftoff. It's like you were forced to just pray that they miss, cause you had no chances of escaping the gore distance, instead actually relying on your own skills to dodge.

Balance my arse.

If i would have been playing this game at the time @NotPaLaGi‌ is referring to, i would have raged so hard at the scrubs invoking this feature, jesus christ..
    Yeah, 5 minute endgame tech vs no-leap skulks :D I think JPs/Exos should be timed to come out closer to Fades. But well, fun is not a factor here, only overall balance. Let's see how things will work out in a month.
  • _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    They make marines have to be more cautious with their usage, and allow aliens more opportunity to pick them off if they're not.
    I see no problem with this. More so that JP could come too early now. But we'll see...
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    So rushing JPs is a major problem? What about upgrades?! You end up with an expensive p.res sink along with 2-bites-1-para and 10 damage per bullet. There's your tradeoff, right there. If 1 hive aliens are having issues with w0/a0 marines who can afford only 1 round of jetpacks, dare I suggest that they deserve the impending loss? Get on their res, group up and take down the jets, mass expand your own res and get the higher lifeforms up. That depletes marine p.res, ensures that they don't have much t.res or future p.res without extensive recapping (costly in t.res and time), and makes the mountain they have to climb with no upgrades even harder by virtue of alien mass expansion.

After the good work that's already been done (and which is planned) by the CDT, I'm interested in hearing tales of strategy and counter-strategy over the next few weeks and months. That, for me, is what balance is about.
    'Oh, marines have got an early AA? Let's counter with mass expansion and a skulk rush on the AA itself, plus we'll need an additional lerk to help kill these early rushed 0/0 JPs.'